British Speedway Forum
22A

Track sharing

To reduce overheads several football & rugby clubs use the same stadium. Would such an idea work in Speedway? I realise the fixture list would need juggling to avoid home matches on the same night etc.

Fans may well think "that other venue is not our home". But if overheads are to be kept down to help Speedway continue; would it work for say, Leicester & Coventry or Brum & Wolves (where Cradley already ride) to use the one track? 

Trouble is most teams are nowhere near each other. just to prove some sort of point Poole's two local current tracks are Eastbourne 122 Miles, Swindon 101 Miles away so most teams are too far away. It is ok for teams like Reading, Oxford & Swindon that are not too far apart 40 & 27 minutes apart. In the midlands it does get better but Brandon isn't Leicester for instance.

Sadly for most fans it may be your team but the racing is not the same due to the fact if you were a fan of either Lakeside & Exeter which track would you want to watch (please forget the distance involved here). I know which one I'd prefer out of the pair and wouldn't want to see

I wouldn't particularly care about the track, but follow the team (as we've been asked to ignore distance).

And I am delighted to see the racers name live on, even at a remote venue. I wish i was close enough to see them.

Not sure if I was still living in Oxford and a 'Cheetahs' representative team rode at Swindon that I would attend...most likely not.

Soccer and Rugby sharing a stadium is like many Speedway tracks are also Greyhound and Stock Car tracks. Wimbledon was at its most successful when all three sports had good crowds. Removing any one of them means the overheads increase for those who are left. 

In this age you cannot run a stadium which is only used by one sport for maybe twenty events in a year. Which is why I worry about the future of Rye House. The costs of maintaining a track and stadium are not inconsiderable and although I enjoy the racing, there are too few who join me! 

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure if I was still living in Oxford and a 'Cheetahs' representative team rode at Swindon that I would attend...most likely not.

With what we keep hearing about a new stadium Swndon might be riding at Oxford

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

With what we keep hearing about a new stadium Swndon might be riding at Oxford

I think it's a travesty in what's happening at both stadiums...plus Coventry of course. When I last visited Cowley about six or so years ago it was in a real state. Personally I can't see speedway returning there despite all the good intentions.

• Like 1

Coventry Bees and Coventry City need their own stadiums.... won't happen but would make some sense.

On 05/03/2018 at 9:17 AM, adonis said:

Football and rugby , 2 different sports , 2 different sets of support , speedway  same sport , different territory 

Rugby is one sport, with one set of supporters? That's news to me. There is rugby league and rugby union. No such sport as 'rugby'. Speedway has plenty of history sharing stadia either owned or used by rugby league clubs (eg Bradford Northern (Bulls), Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Rochdale Hornets, Workington Town). And football (Barrow, Fleetwood Town, Halifax Town, Hastings Town, Leith Athletic, Nelson, Newport County, Newtongrange Star, Queen's Park, St Mirren). Is the County Ground, Exeter, the only example of speedway sharing facilities with a rugby union club?

EDIT: to answer my own question: didn't Peterborough Lions RUFC share the East of England Showground for a couple of years?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

On 05/03/2018 at 3:33 PM, steve roberts said:

I think it's a travesty in what's happening at both stadiums...plus Coventry of course. When I last visited Cowley about six or so years ago it was in a real state. Personally I can't see speedway returning there despite all the good intentions.

Nor can I. Who is going to foot the bill to bring the stadium up to scratch, for a sport that seldom makes a profit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Rugby is one sport, with one set of supporters? That's news to me. There is rugby league and rugby union. No such sport as 'rugby'. Speedway has plenty of history sharing stadia either owned or used by rugby league clubs (eg Bradford Northern (Bulls), Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Rochdale Hornets, Workington Town). And football (Barrow, Fleetwood Town, Halifax Town, Hastings Town, Leith Athletic, Nelson, Newport County, Newtongrange Star, Queen's Park, St Mirren). Is the County Ground, Exeter, the only example of speedway sharing facilities with a rugby union club?

EDIT: to answer my own question: didn't Peterborough Lions RUFC share the East of England Showground for a couple of years?

Cardiff's 1950's Penarth Road track also hosted rugby. I presume that was RU but have no idea what team played there.

Smallmead hosted Thames Valley Chargers American Football for a season or two.

1 hour ago, OldRacer said:

Smallmead hosted Thames Valley Chargers American Football for a season or two.

Oxford Stadium similar with the Oxford American Football team...went once. They also shared the old Oxford City ground for a while.

14 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Sheffield Eagles rugby league have also played at Owlerton.