British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue's 90th Anniversary Celebration Saturday 24th March, 2018.

I enjoyed the meeting but my god they dragged it out. I'm sure I've seen a tractor complete as many laps in a night.

Steve Worrall was superb, might have got 15 points if the heat he was off the useless gate 4 wasn't so tough.  Superb double pass in heat 10.

Also enjoyed Wright all night, superb going between TB/CC in heat 9 and going wider & wider trying to get the better of Doyle.

Bachelor's battles with Bjerre, Doyle & the disappointing Tungate were good.

Bewley defeating Doyle & then in a match race Nicholls. Take a bow, young man.

Jacobsen was decent, showed speed although a bit unsteady at times.

Congratulations Jason Doyle, shame he gated in the final.

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenspoon said:

He was beaten in the final by Jason Doyle, who flew from the gate, if anything the final was the worst race of the night.

The battle for bronze was tremendous.

Forgot to say that Jakobsen looked very promising, and evidently not attached to Poole as suggested elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Another poor meeting for Bewley, so far, only managing to beat the visiting world champion.

Tut tut

Yes a terrible night beat doyley got 10p and got to the final anybody wel see how tallented dan is tut tut as well

Edited by ray c

Thoroughly enjoyed last night's meeting and there was some excellent racing.

A big shout out to all the staff and volunteers who worked really hard to put on a great show. Thanks!

Nice to see the Mighty Mort in attendance and was interested to see him in indulging in serious conversations with people in the pit area.

Such a shame that we can't have more great facilities like the NSS.

10 minutes ago, ray c said:

Yes a terrible night beat doyley got 10p and got to the final anybody wel see how tallented dan is tut tut as well

Yes he was absolutely rubbish that Bewley kid.

I think he is so rubbishy that it might be a whole 5 years before he becomes world champion.

Probably best to give him the boot and bring in some over-hyped Johnny Foreigner type.

:D

• Like 1

Bewley reminds me quite a bit of Lambert in many ways, he has all the speed, craft and natural talent you could want but can't gate well consistently enough to transfer that ability into points as often as he should. As a GB fan it would be fantastic to see them both develop the skill so they can make starts like Steve Worrall for example.

Completely agree Bagpuss, & I think Dan Bewley would agree with you too, judging by his comments airing his frustration when interviewed by Hayley last night. Both last night & at the home Swindon match there were times when he dropped the clutch & the bike didn't react. I'm sure Dan & Steve Lawson will be working on that. For when he does get it right, it was clear for all to see last night what he is capable of, even at this early stage in his speedway career. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Bewley reminds me quite a bit of Lambert in many ways, he has all the speed, craft and natural talent you could want but can't gate well consistently enough to transfer that ability into points as often as he should. As a GB fan it would be fantastic to see them both develop the skill so they can make starts like Steve Worrall for example.

I think he will get it right sooner rather than later...cant comment on Lambert as I havent watched him that much. Worralls gating has been really good so far this year - he seemed to be on a mission to win it last night.

I also thought Jakobsen looked really promising and was surprised he doesnt have a premier ride given that he is looking for one. Anyone know what he would come in on?

Thought Berge looked impessive last night , is he another rider not attached to anyone ? 

Think he has let down a couple of clubs in GB.He certainly did not look interested in his short spell at Berwick IMO .He has talent though.

• Like 1

Great meeting re entertainment and a credit to the name of Peter Craven.

Last year’s meeting even though  not as strong a field was a better quality meeting.

Regarding bewley. He will be two I g some.gating lessons from Rory schlein througout the season. Hopefully this should help him. 

Unsure if anyone knows this but fan doesn't use a chain, he uses a belt to get his drive out the start. Not sure what advantage this gives him, or disadvantage tbh. 

He either gates very well or very poor so he can gate just not consistently. Wonder if the belt is something to do with it 

1 minute ago, Gunner85 said:

Great meeting re entertainment and a credit to the name of Peter Craven.

Last year’s meeting even though  not as strong a field was a better quality meeting.

From heat 8 onwards I thought it was a better meeting racing wise than last year and that's saying something. But the 1 thing last year had was quality racing from heat 1 onwards. 

The rain just before start time which wasn't predicted had saturated the track. Especially when it was well watered throughout the day as no rain was predicted. 

Fair play to all riders for treating it as a proper meeting and not a practice. There was some no holds barred racing out there.

A deserved winner in Doyle. Once he sorted his nerves out he was very good.