British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

Wimbledon Meetings On Cassette Tape

Going through some Wimbledon stuff I came across a Wimbledon speedway meeting from 1978 the Levis For Feet Southern International recorded by Steve Brown from the centre green,

I know that Wimbledon did record every home meeting for a few seasons, and available and sold, but sadly, this is the only Wimbledon meeting I have. But nevertheless I have now digitised the meeting onto CD prior to remastering it in due course.

I was wondering how many other tracks meetings from the 1970s and 80s were recorded onto cassette tape?

Think lots.There was some guy who used to advertise them in the Star.Wally Noaks was possibly his name from memory.Strange idea and never bought one,but sure I heard one being played at a collectors fair  or something

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Think lots.There was some guy who used to advertise them in the Star.Wally Noaks was possibly his name from memory.Strange idea and never bought one,but sure I heard one being played at a collectors fair  or something

I bought one   years ago  and Wally Noaks was one of them going back to the late 70s early 80s.I remember buying a few Australian Championship cassettes and a New Zealand  Championship meeting i think when Briggo made a WC comeback at the age of 49.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Wally Loak. The only one I ever bought was the Mildenhall meeting where Mel Taylor stole the NL title from the Rockets.

Edited by Alan_Jones
  • Like 1

I remember buying a few BLRC meetings I attended durning mid seventies , what you have to remember this pre vhs etc it's all we had 

That was of course, the OTHER Steve Brown, and not me! However, I was in attendance at that Levi's for Feet meeting.

Yeah, I remember all the Wally Loak cassettes, although I never did buy any. Digressing slightly - but only slightly - I do have the LP of the 1974 World Final.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I have to confess to owning quite a few cassettes - mainly Wally "Noaks" Loak's but also from a company called Track Tapes and a few Canterbury matches from 1974.

From memory, the 1975 KO Cup Final between Leicester and Belle Vue, 1975 World Champs meeting from Sheffield, 1981 Wimbledon v Belle Vue, 1980 Intercontinental Final, a few King's Lynn's from 1977... and I have a cassette of home recordings for most of the 1980 match reports of Belle Vue meetings on local radio. Every week I waited for them to come on, finger on pause button with so many nerves in case I didn't get the start. Those were the days.

Edited by moxey63

I have an audio tape by Wally Loak covering highlights of the 1976 season.

I've a few DVDs with him commentating and I have to say his style irritates me with his constant "chase, chase, chase" references!

I used to have a few West ham and Wimbledon home meetings on tape from the 1970's. The commentary wasn't brilliant, but it was still listenable.

Track Tapes covered Crayford in the early 1980's - bought one once, played in a couple of times then used it to tape something off of the radio. May still have the box in the shed somewhere ...

Steve Brown was the voice of Track Tapes and covered meetings in the London area, later going on to video work with KM Video and was the Arena Essex correspondent for Essex Radio in the early days of the Hammers. Excellent company and really knew his speedway.