British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fubar

Alan Wilkinson's Accident - Belle Vue - 1978

25 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

I was sat in G block at the meeting where Wilkie was injured, it appeared a simple fall considering what you can witness at speedway, I remember saying Wilkie will soon be up from that considering he was as hard as nails. I couldn't believe the extent of his injuries, it just goes to show its not always the force of an accident but how you fall. Wilkie for me epitomises what a captain should be, he carried the team along. A true Belle Vue hero, and lets not forget Jean who has stood by him all these years, a great lady. I was at Kings Lynn the day Wilkie raced up to the referee,s box to dispute a decision, who could forget that? Along with many other such stories, look at the old photo of him being held back during heat 13 of the home meeting against Leicester when a free for all occurred, the passion jumps out at you. That Wilkie is still spoken about fondly around the tracks after so many years speaks volumes about him. I would like to have seen Nikki Pedersen try his moves on Alan :)

I have that episode on DVD...he was deemed guilty for what was in my opinion a piece of hard riding nothing more.

As for Nikki Pedersen agree entirely and there were a few more from that era who wouldn't have stood any nonsense from the likes of him!

• Like 1

Always liked watching Alan Wilkinson ride he was a real warrior, I recall in this era Belle Vue were stacked with young GB talent and would give the Bees a right tonking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Going back a few examples of riders who were  great servants to there clubs, Collins,Morton,Wilkie,Sjosten,Haley,Wyer,Wilson,Lewis,Smith,Thommo, Boocock x2. Betts, Paulson,Broadbanks,Ashby,Keen,Kilby, Adams,Karlsson.Missed out endless other riders certain riders then just seemed to be  part of the furniture but they all had huge followings really miss that now.

Spot on...

What so many promoters over the past twenty years or so have failed to grasp is how important that 'emotional attachment' to your team actually is...

The riders mentioned (and many more) helped engender that loyalty bond between fan and 'their' team..

Nowadays two random, cobbled together septets riding under a couple of 'flags of convenience' masquerading as body colours, simply can never engender that loyalty...

Running a team sport with such a concept and expecting enough of a fan base to buy into it to make it successful  is frankly ludicrous in the extreme...

Oh for Wilkie and others of his like today... 

• Like 6

I remember a meeting in 1975, Belle Vue beating Coventry by 49-29. Not much to write home about, it might seem but for two of the best races I've ever seen, Alan Wilkinson and Nigel Boocock going at it hammer and tongs for 4 laps and Booey both times winning it with a last bend pass. Terrific stuff and almost as good was the respect between the two rivals after each race. They obviously enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I remember a meeting in 1975, Belle Vue beating Coventry by 49-29. 

Well, I never...

That, for your info, was my first match!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on...

What so many promoters over the past twenty years or so have failed to grasp is how important that 'emotional attachment' to your team actually is...

The riders mentioned (and many more) helped engender that loyalty bond between fan and 'their' team..

Nowadays two random, cobbled together septets riding under a couple of 'flags of convenience' masquerading as body colours, simply can never engender that loyalty...

Running a team sport with such a concept and expecting enough of a fan base to buy into it to make it successful  is frankly ludicrous in the extreme...

Oh for Wilkie and others of his like today... 

So right. Promoters ditched staging individual meetings because of poor support, but have turned team speedway into a form of individual racing.

And they wonder why crowds have dispersed. There isn't that bond anymore for the average fan to want to travel even a few miles to watch their local team. 

Hopefully, the fixed nights this year will greatly reduce the numbers of missing riders. Belle Vue in recent seasons have retained a lot of the same riders from year to year and so have some other teams so, if fixed nights do work, it should be possible to build up that missing relationship with the fans. 

We shall still have doubling up and riders racing for teams abroad but I think that matters less if they are present for their meetings here.

• Like 2

FOR those who haven't bought a copy or read Wilkie's book, there are copies still available. And, of course, it is helping Alan and his long-suffering wife Jean.

Available by sending a cheque or p.o. for £15 plus £3 p and p made out to JA and JA Wilkinson to 7 Cavendish Road, Worsley, Manchester M28 2TQ.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FOR those who haven't bought a copy or read Wilkie's book, there are copies still available. And, of course, it is helping Alan and his long-suffering wife Jean.

Available by sending a cheque or p.o. for £15 plus £3 p and p made out to JA and JA Wilkinson to 7 Cavendish Road, Worsley, Manchester M28 2TQ.

That is most helpful, Philip.

I shall send for a copy without delay.

This was the scene at Belle Vue after an amazing flare-up in the Aces match against Leicester. Here Leicester skipper - Stock Image

27 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

This was the scene at Belle Vue after an amazing flare-up in the Aces match against Leicester. Here Leicester skipper - Stock Image

.. and it wasn't the Belle Vue Dinner Dance.

• Like 1

Wow! Look at the expression on Wilkie's face.

You can see why it's taking 3 blokes to hold him back.

Great days when people had a bit of passion for what they did rather than constantly thinking how much money they can screw out of it.

Anybody who can identify all the riders gets a bonus point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fubar said:

Wow! Look at the expression on Wilkie's face.

You can see why it's taking 3 blokes to hold him back.

Great days when people had a bit of passion for what they did rather than constantly thinking how much money they can screw out of it.

Anybody who can identify all the riders gets a bonus point.

...If I recall Alan Cowland was the one involved after an on track incident?

No.4 is Alan Ciowland, the rider Wilkie originally had the on-track (racing) difference of opinion with, No.1 is probably Ray Wilson, I believe one of the guys (rider) holding Wilkie back is Malcolm Mackay, John Boulger can be seen in the background looking amazed at the unexpected action and I think the rider dealing out a left hook in the style of a gentleman is either Graham Plant or probably Tom Leadbitter. The Belle Vue no.1 on the night in question still in the pits, and therefore missing out on the fun, was Ronnie Moore guesting for Ivan Mauger.  I read about the episode in an old 'Star and if my information wrong, happy to be proved so if the case....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

No.4 is Alan Ciowland, the rider Wilkie originally had the on-track (racing) difference of opinion with, No.1 is probably Ray Wilson, I believe one of the guys (rider) holding Wilkie back is Malcolm Mackay, John Boulger can be seen in the background looking amazed at the unexpected action and I think the rider dealing out a left hook in the style of a gentleman is either Graham Plant or probably Tom Leadbitter. The Belle Vue no.1 on the night in question still in the pits, and therefore missing out on the fun, was Ronnie Moore guesting for Ivan Mauger.  I read about the episode in an old 'Star and if my information wrong, happy to be proved so if the case....

Malcolm Brown???