British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Jones

Kim Nilsson owed a few bob

4 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

Reads to me that he is owed money from each of those years in either England and/or  Sweden. As he is not owed anything by Leicester it suggests the sterling debt is from 15 and 16 and at least part of the Swedish sum was due last season, but not by Vargana.  He is therfore owed sterling from his time at Lakeside, whether it was from one or two seasons. Respect again to Damien Bates.. Disrepect to the others. 

It could also include guest bookings.

5 minutes ago, M.D said:

No disrespect, but how did you come to that figure from his twitter post that said £26500?

I added the 3 up.My mistake if it was 1 debt and not the 3 I took it as.;) 

• Like 1

Always wondered why riders don't stand together more when payment isn't forthcoming..

No riders, no Speedway meeting...!

Didn't Captains once have to sign something to say that all money was paid and up to date..?

Sadly, you sometimes think that some riders would jump at the chance of taking a guest booking to replace another who takes a (ludicrously unfair) 28 day ban for "withholding his services" rather than standing as a collective to get a fair deal..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I added the 3 up.My mistake if it was 1 debt and not the 3 I took it as.;) 

No worries, thought I may have misread it myself..

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Always wondered why riders don't stand together more when payment isn't forthcoming..

No riders, no Speedway meeting...!

Didn't Captains once have to sign something to say that all money was paid and up to date..?

Sadly, you sometimes think that some riders would jump at the chance of taking a guest booking to replace another who takes a (ludicrously unfair) 28 day ban for "withholding his services" rather than standing as a collective to get a fair deal..

A part of the Speedway Meeting Certificate states:-

We being the TEAM CAPTAINS certify that all monies due to each member of the Team have been paid as per the Riders Agreement except as listed below.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alan_Jones said:

It could also include guest bookings.

It could but as Kim has stated he is owed money from 3 clubs over the two countries this would indicate a max of 2 in one country. (And that may be Sweden). I had incorrectly read the three different currencie as being what was owed in those countries, and not the equivelent values in each. My aim was to redress some of the ill informed insults Damian faced in last years play off final by drawing attention to his ongoing credibility and business acumen which should be respected. Having said that Duggo is also not one to renege on his liabilities 

Edited by Mr Ore
spelling

always makes me wonder why the captain signs knowing full well that him and/or others are owed money

• Like 1

There has been a history of riders not being paid whether in Sweden where all the promoters virtually went broke Poland is also well known for that .One English rider was owed money there and his father demanded he be paid and they drew a gun on him Poland is and still is littered with riders being owed money. So UK are not the only ones

9 hours ago, stevehone said:

always makes me wonder why the captain signs knowing full well that him and/or others are owed money

Exactly.

I personally think Nahlins stance is the correct one, if owed money for more than a week or two they should refuse to ride.

• Like 2

In the case of the U.K., why not go to the small claims court and possibly apply for a winding up order against the company that owes the money. I would suspect that the contracts are not ‘employment’ contracts but more akin to a service contract.  One future option might be for the rider to ask for a bank guarantee from the club for an amount equal to the maximum potential earnings from two meetings. The guarantee remains in force for the season. If they don’t get paid they make a simple claim. This would go some way to ensuring clubs which are afterall a business, are properly funded and have sufficient cash to meet the debts as and when due. If they cannot comply with the debt service they may be trading insolvently and the Directors are then liable.

56 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Exactly.

I personally think Nahlins stance is the correct one, if owed money for more than a week or two they should refuse to ride.

Totally agree.

Back in the 70's you got paid by cheque at your next home meeting for the previous weeks meeting, and any away meetings that had paid the home promoter. If you did an away tour of say 3 tracks you didn't get paid for any of the meetings until all 3 away promoters had paid your home promoter, which could be 3 to 4 weeks wait.

I was paid by cheque at a home meeting two thirds way through the season, paid cheque into bank on Monday, returned by bank on Thursday " Refer to Drawer ". Next home meeting took bounced cheque to home speedway office and was offered another cheque, this I refused and told promoter I wanted paying the bounced cheque, and the cheque they were going to give me for the previous week, before the meeting in cash or I didn't ride. Promoter said he didn't have enough cash, to which I reminded him that the gates opened to the paying public at 6.00pm. I also said I wanted paying after each home meeting for the rest of the season in cash for that nights work and any away meetings that had come in that week, as it was my living as well as his! If I didn't ride he could explain to the public why I wasn't riding, or if he wouldn't I would. Payment in cash arrived just before rider introductions in front of the grandstand and I was there ready to race. The payments after the meeting continued for the remainder of the season, problem solved.

• Like 3

I am sure it was the case at Belle Vue in the sixties (at least) that after the meeting the riders went to the office which was under and at the back of the grandstand and received there earnings. Its easy to calculate what someone has earned during a meeting, especially now with computers. Cash may not be the wisest now but money transfers are no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Exactly.

The problem Peter Nahlin had was, after not riding in the night in question, he was banned for 28 days by the BSPA for withholding his services.

Which prevented him earning money for the rest of the season

Edited by MARK246
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

The problem Peter Nahlin had was, after not riding in the night in question, he was banned for 28 days by the BSPA for withholding his services.

A sanction that I suspect would not hold water legally if taken further by the rider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

He did return to Britain with King's Lynn the following month (July) but that spell was ended by injury after just two matches. From memory, I think that was Peter's last stint in the UK.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1