British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Jones

Kim Nilsson owed a few bob

4 minutes ago, TonyE said:

Last year almost certainly made the financial position worse which led to the sale of Adam and Zach to Swindon.

What makes you say that? Did dropping down significantly impact crowds?

2 minutes ago, adonis said:

I don't think that was any secret .  occasionally  it was quicker  to introduce the crowd to the riders . 

Interesting, thanks. Strange though, isn't it. You'd think Lakeside would have a licence to print money with their catchment area and being the closest club to central London (well M25 at least).

Just goes to show that dropping down isn't the panacea everyone claims though.

Geographical location is very much a mixed blessing to Lakeside. Yes, a significant catchment area but, with that, come the all too familiar traffic issues. Couple that with a none too spectator comfort friendly stadium and you are essentially left with the die-hards.

NL meeting costs were, I seem to recall, around the £8,000 or £9,000 mark and no way would crowd levels have got anywhere near to covering that. Dropping down served a purpose at the time it was done but the product wasn't attractive enough to pull in the punters required.

Edited by TonyE

Whilst clubs should obviously honour the deals agreed, these numbers do highlight the type of unsustainable money riders are taking out that the sport can ill-afford to pay.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Whilst clubs should obviously honour the deals agreed, these numbers do highlight the type of unsustainable money riders are taking out that the sport can ill-afford to pay.

I don't believe it is that illustrative - Kim mentions three years and speedway is a sport where equipment costs are significant. What we do not know is what percentage of his income these outstanding monies represent.

All that said, I believe Kim, having brought this out into the open, should be a bit more specific.

If In the riders mind there is no doubt about the debt, why does'nt he come out and name and shame ?     If someone owed me 26k  for any period of time I would not only go public with it I would have their ass in Court.   No good just whinging about it, do something about it. 

1 hour ago, semion said:

If In the riders mind there is no doubt about the debt, why does'nt he come out and name and shame ?     If someone owed me 26k  for any period of time I would not only go public with it I would have their ass in Court.   No good just whinging about it, do something about it. 

Maybe that is exactly what he is trying to avoid.

10 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Maybe that is exactly what he is trying to avoid.

When the debt dates back nearly 3 years ?   Think The time for pussy footing around is long gone,  don't you ?

31 minutes ago, semion said:

When the debt dates back nearly 3 years ?   Think The time for pussy footing around is long gone,  don't you ?

It's not as simple as that though. I guess Chris Holder and Troy Bachelor decided the time for pussy footing around over track issues was long gone last year.

6 hours ago, TonyE said:

Geographical location is very much a mixed blessing to Lakeside. Yes, a significant catchment area but, with that, come the all too familiar traffic issues. Couple that with a none too spectator comfort friendly stadium and you are essentially left with the die-hards.

NL meeting costs were, I seem to recall, around the £8,000 or £9,000 mark and no way would crowd levels have got anywhere near to covering that. Dropping down served a purpose at the time it was done but the product wasn't attractive enough to pull in the punters required.

I think the bottom line is that the fans just didn't take to NL racing and stayed at home. Not much incentive when Lakeside's bottom three were probably the worst bottom three in the league and were just a waste of space.Then when Zak got injured and Alfie was seconded to Newcastle most of the time there wasn't a lot left to get excited about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

It's not as simple as that though. I guess Chris Holder and Troy Bachelor decided the time for pussy footing around over track issues was long gone last year.

They certainly did, but what’s that got to do with a British Club owing a rider a good bit of Wonga from 15/16.   Indicates that as Kim is owned money from 3 countries the Boy might be seen as a soft touch

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, semion said:

They certainly did, but what’s that got to do with a British Club owing a rider a good bit of Wonga from 15/16.   Indicates that as Kim is owned money from 3 countries the Boy might be seen as a soft touch

I might be wrong but I think its a UK debt and he has listed the amount owing in 3 currencies? I thought the same when I read it. Not 100% sure.

I read it as two Swedish clubs and one in UK which everyone assumes to be Lakeside. The same amount expressed in three currencies with no breakdown as to amount per country or Club

Edited by TonyE

Most speedway riders are soft touches and knowing Kim, as much as a decent lad he is, he would probably be one of the biggest soft touches. 

Time for riders to put their foot down. F$$k being owed that much for a job so dangerous. 

Absolute farce, Lakeside Speedway should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I might be wrong but I think its a UK debt and he has listed the amount owing in 3 currencies? I thought the same when I read it. Not 100% sure.

He states the amount owing  is from three different clubs indicating by means of flag that they are spread between the UK and Sweden during the period 2015 to 2017. He quotes three currencies, firstly in Kroner (Sweden are not in the Euro-zone) but then in Euros and Sterling presumably to better illustrate the extent of the overall debt.