British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Henryk Zyto - 1960 Coventry - R.I.P.

Henryk ZYTO, one of the legendary Polish speedway riders of late 50's and early 60's died last Wednesday at the age of 81 in Gdansk. He was one of the first Polish riders competing for the British club (Coventry Bees in 1960). A year later together with his team mates he won for Poland first gold medal in World Team Championships. His funeral will take place this Saturday 10.03.2018 in Gdansk.

(...)Henryk won the hearts of the British fans during his first performance for Coventry on Friday 8th April, 1960, against Leicester at Blackbird Road. Fans were fascinated by his riding style but cheered the most when after a fall two hundred yards from the finish line he pushed his bike till the end for one point. Henryk was a conscientious young man who took speedway very seriously. Maybe sometimes too seriously. Charles Ochiltree soon gave him encouragement. He told him through the interpreter, "Do not worry, I'm happy with you, the track is very slippery today.(...)

Henryk_Zyto_1960_Coventry.jpg

• Like 1

Sad news. Saw him ride at Cowley in 1973.

RIP

I'm really saddened by this news. I remember as a teenager at Brandon when he arrived, thought he had a mystical astral name with Zyto sounding like a distant planet. He added a new dimension to the team, and really seemed to light up the stadium every time he came out on his bike. Henryk was a bit special and always had time for the fans. Somebody will put me straight on this but wasn't he nicknamed the "Michelin man" or "India rubber man" as he always bounced back up smiling after a fall. He inspired me to borrow my old man's Puch from the shed and learn how to slide a machine round a cycle speedway track lol.

Thanks Henryk Zyto may you rest in peace , and in the memories of the thousands you entertained at Brandon.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2018 at 7:19 AM, steve roberts said:

Sad news. Saw him ride at Cowley in 1973.

RIP

Have that programme Steve  Australia v Poland a really good line up Boulger,Airey,Curtis, Monk for the Aussies Plech,Zancarz, Mucha,Jerzy S. one ride got injured and Henryk RIP who scored 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Have that programme Steve  Australia v Poland a really good line up Boulger,Airey,Curtis, Monk for the Aussies Plech,Zancarz, Mucha,Jerzy S. one ride got injured and Henryk RIP who scored 3.

Hi Sid! I now wish that I had hung on to my programmes but sold them off (at a greatly reduced 'going rate') before relocating!

Remember the meeting well and Cowley was packed to the rafters! Jan Mucha was the 'star turn' for Poland that afternoon I remember despite more illustrious team mates. Zenon Plech's famous 'high siding' crash (caught dramatically by Mike Patrick) and at least I got to see the future World Champion (albeit only as far as the first bend!)

Unfortunately 'Cassius' Middleton was replaced although programmed to ride...perhaps he didn't relish a return to Cowley so soon after his departure in a complicated deal just prior to the commencement of the 1973 season...or more likely more than not he was participating in a meeting abroad that guaranteed a better financial return? Apparerently Garry disliked Jim Airey for reasons I don't know.

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Hi Sid! I now wish that I had hung on to my programmes but sold them off (at a greatly reduced 'going rate') before relocating!

Remember the meeting well and Cowley was packed to the rafters! Jan Mucha was the 'star turn' for Poland that afternoon I remember despite more illustrious team mates. Zenon Plech's famous 'high siding' crash (caught dramatically by Mike Patrick) and at least I got to see the future World Champion (albeit only as far as the first bend!)

Unfortunately 'Cassius' Middleton was replaced although programmed to ride...perhaps he didn't relish a return to Cowley so soon after his departure in a complicated deal just prior to the commencement of the 1973 season...or more likely more than not he was participating in a meeting abroad that guaranteed a better financial return? Apparerently Garry disliked Jim Airey for reasons I don't know.

I have never  heard of that Steve ,          Middleton not getting on with Airey , Middleton was a real character a lot of people liked him he was a massive personality he was disliked also big time..But Gary was very good rider  borderlying world class and i was a fan he mixed it  wtth

Briggs/Ashby/ Kilby and at there pomp and he did  pretty well.!,!,

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I have never  heard of that Steve ,          Middleton not getting on with Airey , Middleton was a real character a lot of people liked him he was a massive personality he was disliked also big time..But Gary was very good rider  borderlying world class and i was a fan he mixed it  wtth

Briggs/Ashby/ Kilby and at there pomp and he did  pretty well.!,!,

...I'm sure that it was in Eric Boocock's book? Garry was helping Eric whilst in Aussie and Eric exclaimed surprise when Garry produced a gun from his jacket saying "...if you have any problems with Airey tonight I'll blow him away!"

Apparently Middleton didn't generally get along with his compatriots but had a real disliking of Jim Airey!

Edited by steve roberts

Sad news about Henryk, so soon after Buzz

Are Bentke, Pajari, Soederman still with us?

Sadly, Kazim Bentke died on July, 13th 2019 (aged 87) in Germany, where he had lived with his family since 1969. RIP.