British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Booey boy

For or against team suits

I cannot believe some of the theories I read on here.   Not having club race suites is a no brainer and a massive backward step in my opinion.    Whatever the rights and wrongs of this idea, the only reason we are having this discussion it because Matt Ford wants to make a point.    If he was doing his job properly he would find a sponsor to meet the cost and provide an ideal way of advertising for that company.     But what Matt Ford wants ,   is what Matt Ford gets.........

No,  Having no Race suites is a massive backward step......   Going back in time when,  Michael Lee was the only rider in the Stars team to have a sponsored covered leathers , all the rest were in black.    It was thought then  to be wrong,  now Ford is suggesting we go back to then days..........     Yeah Right...........

• Like 1

I can't imagine anyone being against team race suits.  Can you imagine putting out a football team with players wearing different strips?  When they were first introduced I thought finally the sport was being taken seriously by promoters and to not have them now is a backward step IMHO.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 6

It's not even the non professional look that worries me as a complete oversight by teams, it's the fact they've failed to see the massive marketing opportunities in front of them. Instead of seeing it as a waste of money, they should be viewing it as a massive way of MAKING money - that's the biggest concern!

• Like 2

The only people who prefer bibs to team suits are the dinosaurs of the sport. Frankly the dinosaurs have done enough damage.

If we want this to be a professional sport then we need to start acting professionally. Unfortunately many of the promoters have resigned themselves to trying to please the old folks and have practically given up on fresh blood.

• Like 3

Team suits are annoying from a fan's point of view but a must for a pro look! 

• Like 1

I'm a fan and don't find them annoying in the slightest.    One of the best things ever to happen in team speedway.  

Matt Ford is just being his normal self, and only looking after himself.

Edited by Stainlesssteelride
  • Like 1

A big yes to team race suits from me.I support the Belle vue aces with a passion and I like the club I support to look like a team.Just like any other team sport I can think of.

Like most supporters of any team in any sport the teams colours and logo are a big part of sport.Seeing my team dressed in red white and black with a big ace of clubs on their chest gives me a buzz even before the 1st race begins.

• Like 7

British Speedway is everything but professional and clubs going back to bibs proves that point even further.

British Speedway shouldn't be and is not taken seriously by anyone outside the sport.

British Speedway is just the equivalent to WWE but just less funny

18 hours ago, poolebolton said:

If it’s team suits or better riders then no question better riders. 

Ford hasn’t got team suits in protest to the BT deal because it’s perhaps the worst deal in history and worth jack all. 

Non poole fans would you rather a decent WR track or poole in teamsuits? 

I know what I want. 

I don't mind bibs myself,but I agree team suits gives off a better image.

So because Ford don't like the TV deal,he's doing the bib thing as a protest...Not sure about that one.If it is correct I guess "It's in the interest of the sport" and not Matt Ford :)

Edited by Bald Bloke

15 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I don't mind bibs myself,but I agree it is does give off a better image.

So because Ford don't like the TV deal,he's doing to bib thing as a protest...Not sure about that one.If it is correct I guess "It's in the interest of the sport" and not Matt Ford.

If we are talking TV let's go a stage further. It is very difficult to tell one home rider from another (and away rider) by helmet colour alone especially on TV. If each rider had a lycra* (or similar) top that fits over kevlars, said top could still have all the team sponsors, and individual ones on.  The kevlars underneath could be to the riders own design and worn abroad or in individual meetings. Such tops would be far cheaper to replace when riders are sacked or signed mid season.

Riders in blue obviously have tops with blue as the base colour, Riders in red have a red base etc.

*The tops must be tailored or stretch and not baggy flappy things. I agree with all the comments about baggy tops/bibs etc not being professional but surely a top that fits and looks smart to go over kevlars is not impossible to achieve.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 3

Once a rider has got a helmet & goggles on & is on a bike, can you actually tell who it is? Individual kevlars identify the rider through their own sponsors as well as on the bike covers.

I do agree with Star Lady in that a stretch waistcoat type top with club colours, emblem & sponsors would be a better & cheaper option.

• Like 1

Wolves used bibs along with race suits until only a few years ago when switching to solely race suits.

Race suits look a hell of a lot better

Anybody know how much these race suits cost?

I am sure that for the top tier clubs that appear on the goggle box, then for the sake of a professional appearance then the cost can be justified.

Assuming that they cost around a couple of hundred quid each then for a NL side suits are surely a no goer since £1500 is a big chunk of the budget to blow on an unnecessary vanity item.

Personally, I like riders showing a bit of individuality and also promoting their own sponsors a bit. Fringes on the sleeves of leather race suits always looked pretty trick, don't you think?

If you go too far down the corporate avenue, then all the riders will be dressed identically and referring to each other as colleagues.