British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Booey boy

For or against team suits

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm not against lycra oversuits as long as they aren't like those awful things worn in the EL in 1998.

I would imagine riders would go through them pretty quick, as well.

To clairify; those lycra suits of 1998 (l think) were like slightly baggy and a bit thicker material that are used for aerobics, dancercise, etc.  The idea was to be worn over leathers but were too small and made leathers much too tight.  The Wulfsport gear, used at various times by Coventry, King's Lynn (Knights), Oxford (Silver Machine) & Wolves was basically for Moto-X.  I.e. a silk / nylon shirt - literally just a sweat shirt - and the Wulfsport pants / jeans were slightly reinforced nylon-like material.  This stuff was less than ideal but ok-ish with body armour worn underneath , though I know at least rider who didn't (!), but didn't offer a huge amount of protection in the event of a sliding-off spill.  'Kevlars', that is the 'heavy reinforced' material with sewn-on logos is ok also when worn with body armour, but there is also the thinner material (not sure what it's called) with printed logos which looks not the unlike tracksuits used by football players & athletes to keep warm.  Leathers offer the best protection of course but are both hot and heavy to wear, in comparison to the 'heavy' kevlar-type material..  Me ?  It'd be leathers + body armour, bit hot 'n' heavy but feeling protected....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling 2x.

The Coventry ones, made by I think Troy Lee designs, actually looked pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

The Coventry ones, made by I think Troy Lee designs, actually looked pretty good. 

I could be wrong on that one maybe Coventry never used Wulfsport stuff, genuinely thought they did, but they defo were used by 'Lynn Oxford (Silver Machine & also Cheetahs at one time) & Wolves.  I meant the gear with Wulfsport & sometimes Speedway Star logos: separate shirts & pants, you'll know it when you see it, not the one piece suits with Buildbase, etc on them.  Not a Bees fan but their suits have looked good in the past....

16 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I'm 60-40 in favour of team suits, but quite a few didn't match anyway so maybe race bibs is the garment of choice long as the riders' own suits are in the team colours....

What would the rider do where he rode for two or more clubs? How many suits would he need to buy?

Personally, I think that leather is a better material with regards to protection and that textile suits are only favoured by teams as they are a better advertising space.

Edited by fubar
spelling

Personally i prefer team suits although feel there should be more freedom given to riders in the design namely this part is this particular blue, that part is black, the crest goes in the middle the rest is up to you. I also think clubs should only be looking at making a contribution towards the suits and its riders option where they are made & how much extra they choose to spend on them.

As for the overshirts these are also a very good alternative. Let the rider design their own kevlars but state legs must be black. The design of the fitted tops now is excellent, riders could have 2 each provided by the club for around £100 per head, its quick to get replacements / new ones should riders be dropped/signed and riders would still have their own style kevlars for individual events.

If there is any sort of text or rules that all teams should have team suits, any team without one should be fined 5k a meeting if they don't have one. What a stupid debate to have this one...

8 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I could be wrong on that one maybe Coventry never used Wulfsport stuff, genuinely thought they did, but they defo were used by 'Lynn Oxford (Silver Machine & also Cheetahs at one time) & Wolves.  I meant the gear with Wulfsport & sometimes Speedway Star logos: separate shirts & pants, you'll know it when you see it, not the one piece suits with Buildbase, etc on them.  Not a Bees fan but their suits have looked good in the past....

They used Troy lee designs motocross style suits for a few years, definately. And they looked pretty good too .

I used to have a 1998 Oxford race suit in my collection. It was so light and flimsy, and not really suitable for a whole seasons racing.

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

Quick google search found these:

http://mike-patrick.com/01/01Docs/0324.1.html

To continue 'Coventry Wulfsport-gate', ;) yeah those 'suits' are what I remember, p'raps not the Wulfsport brand as such, but Moto-X style seperate shirt & pants. Not ideal riding atire for speedway....

all for them teams look smart professional and it looks good for tv purposes belle vue revealed theirs today at p/p poole will soon realise they made a big error !! 

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about the difference between race suits and team kevlars. Not going to make a blind bit of difference about what happens on track. Besides one of my favourite riders was Jason Bunyan who always turned up at the OTA with a racing top and bottoms. He looked awful, pyjamas we used to call them but it made us laugh. 

Arguments both ways, yes team suits look smart and good but that individuality lost. Apart from all bikes(& to some extent styles) are very similar now (no odd handlebars), all riders look the same. Where would riders like Nigel Boocock with his Blueness manage now? 

I don’t get why you wouldn’t want teams racing in the same colours, not is it professional, allows team backers to be seen. Swindon said tonight they’ve a main team sponsor who’s on the front but also 9 other sponsors who have space on the team suits....can’t wait for Man City players coming out in odd kits 

• Like 1