British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Booey boy

For or against team suits

Imo, it would make more sense if teams supplied Race jackets, Fork covers and Bike covers, rather than team Kevlars.

Have the team colours and emblem on the race jacket and covers, with club sponsers names.

Have the riders wear and provide their own kevlars, with their sponsers names on.

That way you get the best of both worlds.

Crazy sport though...more worried about looks rather than running it properly. Team Kevlars aren't going to make the public come flocking back.

As Gary May said in this weeks Star...'Crowds across the sport are dropping, yet costs are just the same'. That's got to be looked at, rather than focusing on team kevlars, because lets face it, it's just 'team' in name, not nature.

As for the comments about looking professional in this thread...and regardless of what I've said before in this post...how do Speedway bikes look 'Professional' with bits of plastic bike covers flapping about on them?

As Speedway fans, we've all got accustomed to them, but to the person outside the sport, you often get cries of derision on how stupid they look.

How many other forms of motor sport have such like? Looks cheap and tacky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sugarray said:

This clamour for race Suits so it looks professional is quite bizarre when you look at the majority of the stadia we race in.

Most are pretty awful tbh.

You are 100% right, toilets should be near the top of to-do list. When arriving referees should check: 1. Track, 2. Toilets, 3. General state of the stadium (litter & easily achievable task).

If ANY are bad cancel the meeting, if any are not good - reprimand & get fixed for following meeting.

Long time supporters will accept almost any conditions,  our life-blood "protential new fans" will expect reasonable facilities & definitely CLEAN TOILETS! 

• Like 2

I'm not sure I've been to a speedway stadium with decent toilets.

I have been pretty indifferent to race suits on the whole, but seeing the difference between those with and those without in Speedway star this week in the team photos was persuasive. Ditching them on cost grounds is a false economy.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

Think some of that could be down to some of the people that use them.

2 hours ago, sugarray said:

Try King's Lynn m8

They were awful when I was last there. A few years ago.

And the changing rooms well!!!

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

They were awful when I was last there. A few years ago.

And the changing rooms well!!!

You’re behind the times, everything has been renewed :)

• Like 1

So is the consensus that KL look great and professional in team suits?? I am not convinced.

On closer inspection it looks like to me that Lewis Kerr's set is different to the rest. Would you see Manchester United players have 10 players in say Nike kit and one in Under Armour??

Going back to the Rebels suits (or lack of them) the cost was quoted at £6K for the whole team which is a considerable amount of money in almost any business. If the promotion hiked the admission price up to cover the cost and pay for those then no one would be happy would they? Mind you Gazza did say if they won at Poole this morning he would buy them!! 

In all honesty I am looking for the red and blue helmet covers rather than the kevlars when i'm at the OTA. If it is race jackets this year then fine by me, I am sure a few of our friends from Devon would love to have a team to support each Monday wearing anything let alone worrying about team kevlars!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trees said:

You’re behind the times, everything has been renewed :)

I did say it was a few years ago.

Glad to hear things are a lot better.

Pity others don't follow suit and I include the club's I'm involved in in that statement. ( actually one of them is probably the worst)