British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Booey boy

For or against team suits

Interestingly; Debbie Hancock was asked about the kevlars at P&P today.  Said that they had to get the jackets sorted even back before any team work was done and wanted to use the money (before BT deal had been struck) elsewhere, Doyle and also track work with the new drainage system in place etc. She said she is as much of a fan as anyone else on the race suits and we will perhaps have them another season. 

Yes they aren't very nice Jackets this season and look very odd but i'm pretty happy where the money has gone. 

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, screm said:

If there is any chance of dragging the sport of speedway into anything like modern times, teams racing in identical race suits must be part of that. After all the vast majority of the sport is a team event so should reflect that, when riders go to race in individual events and want to look like an individual then fair enough but IMO a team event you should look like a team.

Agree with this, as a side note that picture of the Poole team in this weeks Speedway Star looks awful. They look like a team out of the National League. Hardly fitting for the so called " Manchester United of speedway " 

So called by Poole fans, lol. They are the Poole team of 21st century top level UK speedway. Knock yourselves out. Pmsl. 

Embarrassing from Poole and Somerset. Should be made mandatory that all top flight sides must have team kevlars.

Excuse of saving a few quid is pathetic. Show a bit of professionalism ffs. Makes the sport look pikeyish. The self proclaimed "Manchester United" of speedway looking like a rag tag bunch thrown together is a terrible look for the sport & that club. Looks like they've gone back to 1988.

Somerset over paying Doyle as their excuse for no suits is dreadful.

Team kevlars was one of the few professional things about the sport & now we have Ford being a t0sser & Somerset taking us back to the 80's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Embarrassing from Poole and Somerset. Should be made mandatory that all top flight sides must have team kevlars.

Excuse of saving a few quid is pathetic. Show a bit of professionalism ffs. Makes the sport look pikeyish. The self proclaimed "Manchester United" of speedway looking like a rag tag bunch thrown together is a terrible look for the sport & that club. Looks like they've gone back to 1988.

Somerset over paying Doyle as their excuse for no suits is dreadful.

Team kevlars was one of the few professional things about the sport & now we have Ford being a t0sser & Somerset taking us back to the 80's.

I suggest that you watch Debbie's interview on the Somerset twitter where she explains about her decision rather than posting about something you clearly know nothing about. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rebelwonderkid said:

I suggest that you watch Debbie's interview on the Somerset twitter where she explains about her decision rather than posting about something you clearly know nothing about. 

You have just been quoted above as saying Hancock preferred to over pay Doyle than purchase team kevlars. Embarrassing for the club.

1 hour ago, New Science said:

Agree with this, as a side note that picture of the Poole team in this weeks Speedway Star looks awful. They look like a team out of the National League. Hardly fitting for the so called " Manchester United of speedway " 

Couldn't agree more. There are NL teams with professional team suits. All very embarrassing to have the so called best team looking like a 2nd hand rag-tag and bobtail outfit. Poor.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chris said:

You have just been quoted above as saying Hancock preferred to over pay Doyle than purchase team kevlars. Embarrassing for the club.

Never said I didn't but btw she actually haggled his price down so we aren't overpaying him but I didn't just say Doyle was the reason did I. There are plenty more reasons as to why she didn't do it. You can't just cherry pick one thing that someone has said.

If team kevlars can't be afforded then that's that, forget them, we went donkeys years without them, never thought about them, they don't affect the racing, that's the number one priority for our sport imo! 

• Like 2

Thing is Trees the 'good old days' are long gone and image & appearance is very important now, especially for a struggling sport like ours. 

Racesuits should be compulsory for our top two leagues IMO, and there is no reason why good racing can't be a priority regardless of this. 

• Like 4

If it helps Poole from going under then I’m with his decision to drop them. 

This clamour for race Suits so it looks professional is quite bizarre when you look at the majority of the stadia we race in.

Most are pretty awful tbh.

• Like 2

Race suits do look professional..but I'm definitely for individual race suits...fans from when I was young liked to support certain riders and the riders were known by their own colours and you got to know those colours and things for each individual riders and made riders stand out more and be more individual....after all its an individual sport masquerading as a team sport really and in team suits all riders look the same which to me isn't a great look

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Thing is Trees the 'good old days' are long gone and image & appearance is very important now, especially for a struggling sport like ours. 

Racesuits should be compulsory for our top two leagues IMO, and there is no reason why good racing can't be a priority regardless of this. 

That's something that promoters need to ask sponsors I guess, yes they will be short of places on the riders to put sponsors names but if riders always have new kevlars each year anyway perhaps the promoters can come to some agreement with the riders to include a club sponsor on their suit. Plenty of places in the stadium and a great place is the front fork/handlebar covers which are reasonably cheap and easily changed? 

Don't get me wrong I have grown to like team suits but imo they won't make speedway more popular but more exciting racing will hopefully.... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trees said:

That's something that promoters need to ask sponsors I guess, yes they will be short of places on the riders to put sponsors names but if riders always have new kevlars each year anyway perhaps the promoters can come to some agreement with the riders to include a club sponsor on their suit. Plenty of places in the stadium and a great place is the front fork/handlebar covers which are reasonably cheap and easily changed? 

Don't get me wrong I have grown to like team suits but imo they won't make speedway more popular but more exciting racing will hopefully.... 

That's another big and cheap to do sponsor opportunity for teams - the front fork covers. I think Kings Lynn did it a few years back and gives companies a much more prominent place than just the chest of a racesuit.

• Like 2