British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Booey boy

For or against team suits

See Lynn are going with team kevlars, as NKI just posted Instagram video of it in the pits in Torun. Don’t know if this was on purpose or accidental. 

It is being suggested that these suits can cost around £1000.

If that's the case, I'm not sure that any level of British speedway should be frittering their money or more accurately, their customers' money, on such unnecessary items.

3 minutes ago, fubar said:

If that's the case, I'm not sure that any level of British speedway should be frittering their money or more accurately, their customers' money, on such unnecessary items.

They can - they can also be a lot more.... however they can also be purchased for around £650. So to start throwing figures around that Poole spent £2,000 on suits for certain riders last year is idiotic.

I'm pretty sure that figure is a big liberal so take it with a pinch of salt.

If it is so easy to get a big sponsor for these race suits, don't you think the clubs havent tried? 

The club's where I help have till they are blue in the face but 7000 is a big lay out for little or no return.

Why not both? A classic race jacket ( eg belle vue with no advertising on) over team Kevlars with sponsors logos on ? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fubar said:

What should riders wear then, jeans and T shirts. You come off a speedway bike and as your arse is torn off, you can be thinking “I’m glad Club didn’t fritter any money away on my protection “ Its a professional sport, so Club should supply each rider with a good quality Kevlar team suit. Riders have to supply all other equipment, bikes, helmets, under protection etc. Certain Hamilton doesn’t supply his own F1 car, fire suit etc. Rooney doesn’t buy his own football shirt and has to bring a ball to play with. Ok some will say there isn’t the same money in speedway as F1 / football. There isn’t I agree, but is the sport professional or not. If a Club can’t afford this, well they shouldn’t be running as a professional speedway club and if all can’t afford it, British speedway should be an amateur sport and let the Poles, Swedes and Danes run professional speedway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWP said:

See Lynn are going with team kevlars, as NKI just posted Instagram video of it in the pits in Torun. Don’t know if this was on purpose or accidental. 

Believe that post has been removed quickly 

39 minutes ago, DWP said:

What should riders wear then, jeans and T shirts. You come off a speedway bike and as your arse is torn off, you can be thinking “I’m glad Club didn’t fritter any money away on my protection “ Its a professional sport, so Club should supply each rider with a good quality Kevlar team suit. Riders have to supply all other equipment, bikes, helmets, under protection etc. Certain Hamilton doesn’t supply his own F1 car, fire suit etc. Rooney doesn’t buy his own football shirt and has to bring a ball to play with. Ok some will say there isn’t the same money in speedway as F1 / football. There isn’t I agree, but is the sport professional or not. If a Club can’t afford this, well they shouldn’t be running as a professional speedway club and if all can’t afford it, British speedway should be an amateur sport and let the Poles, Swedes and Danes run professional speedway. 

Swedes don't have team race suits and I don't see them being criticised.

Even some countries didn't have team suits in the old WTC.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Once a rider has got a helmet & goggles on & is on a bike, can you actually tell who it is? Individual kevlars identify the rider through their own sponsors as well as on the bike covers.

I do agree with Star Lady in that a stretch waistcoat type top with club colours, emblem & sponsors would be a better & cheaper option.

That's what I meant about being a pain for the fans, of course some riders' styles are immediately recognisable, at least their bikes are individual.... 

9 hours ago, Trees said:

Team suits are annoying from a fan's point of view but a must for a pro look! 

They most certainly are not. Guess you get some who don't like and some who do. 

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Once a rider has got a helmet & goggles on & is on a bike, can you actually tell who it is? Individual kevlars identify the rider through their own sponsors as well as on the bike covers.

I do agree with Star Lady in that a stretch waistcoat type top with club colours, emblem & sponsors would be a better & cheaper option.

I can tell with ease. Bike and covers, sponsors on kevlars, helmet,  style, build. Is very little difference to riders in their own racesuits. Plus the biggest giveaway the number on the back. Couldn't be more easier.

You can either tell a rider or you can't. 

Edited by stevebrum
added information

18 minutes ago, Trees said:

That's what I meant about being a pain for the fans, of course some riders' styles are immediately recognisable, at least their bikes are individual.... 

I think it’s a personal choice. I prefer team suits, you perhaps don’t and that’s your choice. In Poland this year we are also have team bike covers, which perhaps will make it even harder for fans. However the design of team suits and bike covers have a nice twist, which I’m certain the Rzeszow fans will like once they are revealed. This design will make each individual rider stand out from his team mate. 

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I’m not criticising anyone. I just prefer team suits and yes you are right some Swedish, Danish teams and WC teams don’t have team suits. Though teams in Sweden and Poland we have ridden for have always supplied team suit. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Somebody has mentioned some Swedish sides not using them and how that doesn't look as good.

Any team, whether that be a club or national side, looks far less professional and like a proper 'team' if they don't have matching race suits.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sugarray said:

I'm pretty sure that figure is a big liberal so take it with a pinch of salt.

If it is so easy to get a big sponsor for these race suits, don't you think the clubs havent tried? 

The club's where I help have till they are blue in the face but 7000 is a big lay out for little or no return.

I'm not saying it's easy, matter of fact far from it, but there is a good 6 months in the off season so I'd have to question how much of a priority it has been. Especially in Somerset where there is so many businesses that are booming right now especially with the developments of Hinckley Point power station nearby. I don't mean this as a dig but I'm amazed there aren't businesses willing to part with a thousand pound here and there, which is small money to some of them but a difference in the current Speedway world.

I've been a graphic designer for 8 years and have worked within existing brand guidelines for some big companies and created plenty others too so I know the importance of brands and identities. Everybody just keeps looking at the cost of racesuits but they forget that the images of the riders will be in the paper each week, they'll be used on advertisements hoardings, posters, social media etc you name it. Parading Jason Doyle's or whoever individual race colours will look terrific instead of Somerset colours!! I just find it absolute mind boggling. It is such a massive oversight. It probably won't put people off going who already go, but it certainly won't help newcomers go as there is then no association to the team... just a bunch of randomers turning up for an amatuar outting. Like I said, a massive oversight.