Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IronScorpion

Rule Changes for 2018

What is the point of the start marshall these days? I mean really? No one listens to him - he just appears to be a figure there for historic value and the pull the tapes down.

Seeing some bloke franticly wave his arms and be ignored is not only pointless but embarassing. Last time I took a newcomer along with me that was their main question - "Why is that man there?".

Just use the lights that are already in place around the tracks:

1.  Pit gates open and 2 minute warning is sounded
  2. 2 minutes ends and the pit gate closes
  3. Green ref does his check around the track and green light comes on
  4. At any point after that green light comes on the tapes are released (Given enough time for riders engines to spin up)
  5. Anyone left waiting at the tapes did not adhear to the two minute warning and has peanalised themselves.

Have a line behind the starting gate that riders have to be in by the 2 minutes...and then green light goes on. Any rider not ready... tough. Then upto 2 seconds after the tapes go up. 

24 minutes ago, yahoho said:

What is the point of the start marshall these days? I mean really? No one listens to him - he just appears to be a figure there for historic value and the pull the tapes down.

Seeing some bloke franticly wave his arms and be ignored is not only pointless but embarassing. Last time I took a newcomer along with me that was their main question - "Why is that man there?".

Just use the lights that are already in place around the tracks:

1.  Pit gates open and 2 minute warning is sounded
  2. 2 minutes ends and the pit gate closes
  3. Green ref does his check around the track and green light comes on
  4. At any point after that green light comes on the tapes are released (Given enough time for riders engines to spin up)
  5. Anyone left waiting at the tapes did not adhear to the two minute warning and has peanalised themselves.

agree about the SMs but they also make sure riders are not encroaching on others' lanes. Personally i would issue them with yellow cards to show when being ignored, a second yellow would mean exclusion or yardage penalty

What if they're all ready in advance of the 2 minutes, hang around?

6 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

What if they're all ready in advance of the 2 minutes, hang around?

Hopefully the green light can be put on and they go, why wait for two mins to elapse. 

16 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Hopefully the green light can be put on and they go, why wait for two mins to elapse. 

Exactly, if they are ready then the green light is put on earlier, but when are the ever ready?   Watch the Polish league, once the clock gets down to zero they are ready to go. Don't see why you can't do that here. 

Edited by Stainlesssteelride
  • Like 1

I was at the Stead meeting on Sunday and all the rider's stayed on their bikes no problems, even Lasse Bjerre who always does plenty of gardening , he is a small guy so that about it effecting small rider's  does not hold up as far as i am concerned. Call them up to the tapes and go. It make you wonder if the bspa no what they are doing or am i being to critical.

To be honest I`m not to fussed about this rule being reversed, though its a bit embarrassing for it to happen so soon. If the promoters are really looking at speedway up meetings then the time gap between heats needs to be quicker as IMo there is no reason as the last rider leaves the track from one heat the two minute warning could be started for the next.

1 hour ago, screm said:

To be honest I`m not to fussed about this rule being reversed, though its a bit embarrassing for it to happen so soon. 

It's surprising that it took so long. Last year the exact same change was made before the season started.

Having watched DVDs of wold championship speedway from the70's and 80's  and watching the starting techniques that existed then - i see nothing wrong wiht allowing the riders to roll creep push the tapes and the ref letting the tapes up when he feels like it . IF the rider breaks the tape you are EXCLUDED (no 15m handicap nonsense) 

I am absolutely fed up with the riders dictating the rules of the sport to the detriment of the entertainment of the public.  Why dont they provide the b****y riders with shovels at the start so they can dig the b***Y track up to their satisfaction ?????? Meetings take TOO long to complete  only 15 heats  - Gardening and Track Grading are two of the main reasons I rarely go to a speedway meeting nowadays.

If they tarmac the start or even better concrete the start areas it would put an end to all this nonsense.