British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Not every track has a pit gate that can be closed!

Simple -  member of track staff pulls rope across the opening in lieu of a gate.

What does it matter, if the referee has put the two-minute warning on IMMEDIATELY he signals a recall?

Have as many hangers-on as you like out on the track, the riders still have to be back in 120 seconds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Where does it say that? The only thing I can see if that the riders cannot leave the circuit, which isn't new.

The opening of the pit gate and allowing the mechanics to come out to the bikes is one of the annoying wastes of time, this should have been stopped or the restart time should have been 1 min, put on as soon as the race is stopped. 

I think the speedway promotors believe that returning to the pits at every available oppotunity is part of the exciting evening's entertainment. Speed up proceedings too much and it could result in the meeting being over in 45 minutes tops or maybe even, faster making it appear poor value for the £15 or so admission charge:D:D:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattK said:

Where does it say that? The only thing I can see if that the riders cannot leave the circuit, which isn't new.

I think that's what i said.They are not allowed to leave the circuit.But i have seen them leave the circuit if a crash has happened.

33 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I think that's what i said.They are not allowed to leave the circuit.But i have seen them leave the circuit if a crash has happened.

They are allowed to leave the track if there has been a crash to fix anything on the bike or get second one, and the race has been stopped, but not for a tape infringment and restart. 

39 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

I think the speedway promotors believe that returning to the pits at every available oppotunity is part of the exciting evening's entertainment. Speed up proceedings too much and it could result in the meeting being over in 45 minutes tops or maybe even, faster making it appear poor value for the £15 or so admission charge:D:D:D

It might be ok on a warm summer evening at the weekend or when people are not  cold or wanting to get home, but with interval, grading every four races a meeting should take about 90 mins. 

1 hour ago, mike1944 said:

Easy answer to that, - bring back Second Halves. I'm sure there's many youngsters that would jump at the chance for on-track time, even though no pts money.

• Like 3

Yes I remember the second halves at Norwich in the early 60s, many a youngster rode in them and soon became reserves for the team or even full time riders. The racing was usually quite entertaining although speeds were slower. In those days the team did not change every week, with riders having commitments all over the place like they did now. A shame Norwich was closed down just to be replaced by yet another 1960's housing estate.

Edited by mike1944

On 15/03/2018 at 8:07 AM, Daniel Smith said:

They have tak3n note about speeding meetings up.

The regulations are now 4mins instead of 5 from the crossing the finish line to the start of the next, inclusive of the 2mins.

It should be a noticable difference, especially at King's Lynn anyway 

They couldn’t hit the 5 minutes when that was in the rule book. Why will making it 4 minutes make it more likely to be hit? Meetings used to take over 2 hours, that’s about 8-9 minutes a heat. At 4 minutes between heats the rules states that meetings should be over in 72 minutes, or 1 hour and 12 minutes. Yeah right!

Edited by SCB

7 hours ago, SCB said:

They couldn’t hit the 5 minutes when that was in the rule book. Why will making it 4 minutes make it more likely to be hit? Meetings used to take over 2 hours, that’s about 8-9 minutes a heat. At 4 minutes between heats the rules states that meetings should be over in 72 minutes, or 1 hour and 12 minutes. Yeah right!

The vast majority of meetings at Foxhall have been completed in around 90 minutes (ignoring any interval)

Good to note that each of the 2 reserves can be at either 6 or 7 this year, rather than the lowest average fixed at 7.

2018 amendments:

Can the tractor driver be excluded/ disqualified if he/she exceeds the 4 minute time limit?

With set race nights & careful fixture planning - baring injuries we should have no need for guest or rider replacement facility or have I been mislead?

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

2018 amendments:

Can the tractor driver be excluded/ disqualified if he/she exceeds the 4 minute time limit?

With set race nights & careful fixture planning - baring injuries we should have no need for guest or rider replacement facility or have I been mislead?

If you're a speedway supporter you have been mislead, and will be for evermore.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

2018 amendments:

I'm assuming it's still a guest for no.1 and then rider replacement for everybody else except the reserves. The only time a guest is then used is 2 or more riders are injured. That's what I would assume, but I haven't actually read the rule book so it's probably the complete opposite!

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I'm assuming it's still a guest for no.1 and then rider replacement for everybody else except the reserves. The only time a guest is then used is 2 or more riders are injured. That's what I would assume, but I haven't actually read the rule book so it's probably the complete opposite!

Art 18.8.A - Guest or RR for 1-3 by MA