British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I Said on Twitter straight after heat 15 how can we have an unsatisfactory start when I'm.sureni read that you can only stop a race for a tape Infringment out the start. 

Apart from now being excluded if any part of the rider, bike, or equipment touches the tapes, the rule hasn't changed at all this year, and of course we can still have unsatisfactory starts.

They're just tightening up on the existing starting rule.

i.e.  The Start Marshal must make sure the riders are correctly positioned at the tapes, (not back from the tapes with rolling room).   The referee must not release the tapes unless all 4 riders are stationary.  And if anything touches the tapes, the rider is excluded.

(In the past the referees would sometimes release the tapes with a rider moving, and then call them back.  Now they won't release the tape until all are stationary).

The thinking is, that if the riders are correctly positioned, stationary when the tapes are released, and don't touch the tapes, then it is a fair start, even if someone anticipates and gets a flyer).

There may still be cases where someone IS moving before the tapes go up, (referees are human without perfect reflexes) but these cases should now be few and far between.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Apart from now being excluded if any part of the rider, bike, or equipment touches the tapes, the rule hasn't changed at all this year, and of course we can still have unsatisfactory starts.

i

So the rule HAS changed this season. All riders MUST, be astride there bikes, no rider is to get off the bike and Garden.  Last year a rider could get off his bike providing they still had contact with the bike, naturally, otherwise you would have riderless speedway..

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

So the rule HAS changed this season. All riders MUST, be astride there bikes, no rider is to get off the bike and Garden.  Last year a rider could get off his bike providing they still had contact with the bike, naturally, otherwise you would have riderless speedway..

This rule does actually disadvantage very short riders.      

Lasse Bjerre is one, plus MPT, Rohan Tungate.       These guys simply don't have long enough legs to dig up, or pack down dirt without dismounting!

8 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

You do realise there are lots of rules in the rulebook, not just one don't you?  :blink:

Yes, the rule about gardening has changed.  The rule about eligibility for heat 15 has also changed...and many others.

BUT what we're talking about is the rule on unsatisfactory starts.   Some people wrongly think that there has been a change and unsatisfactory starts can't happen anymore.  Actually the rule hasn't changed apart from the fact that any part of a rider, bike or equipment touching the tapes is now a disqualification.

Just now, crescent girl said:

Lasse Bjerre is one, plus MPT, Rohan Tungate.       These guys simply don't have long enough legs to dig up, or pack down dirt without dismounting!

Yep that joke has already done the rounds. Seriously, it true, it does  disavantage them. They will just have to tilt the bike to the left and the right, not easy i might add.

2 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

You do realise there are lots of rules in the rulebook, not just one don't you?  :blink:

Yes, the rule about gardening has changed.  The rule about eligibility for heat 15 has also changed...and many others.

We were talking about one rule, not umpteen.. I rest my case.

3 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

We were talking about one rule, not umpteen.. I rest my case.

Yes.    So instead of just talking about the one rule, why did you start wittering on about the gardening rule as well then?   :blink:

10 hours ago, crescent girl said:

I have wondered about this. If they are too short to prepare their gate, how do they prepare for the start when all riders have both feet flat on the track? If their feet can reach ground then, why can’t they before the race starts?

11 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

i.e.  The Start Marshal must make sure the riders are correctly positioned at the tapes, (not back from the tapes with rolling room).   The referee must not release the tapes unless all 4 riders are stationary.  And if anything touches the tapes, the rider is excluded.

(In the past the referees would sometimes release the tapes with a rider moving, and then call them back.  Now they won't release the tape until all are stationary).

The thinking is, that if the riders are correctly positioned, stationary when the tapes are released, and don't touch the tapes, then it is a fair start, even if someone anticipates and gets a flyer).

There may still be cases where someone IS moving before the tapes go up, (referees are human without perfect reflexes) but these cases should now be few and far between.

Which makes the decision to get rid of the 2nd line more stupid. The riders were supposed to have their front wheel spindle over line 2 so they were all in the same place and not pulled back, now its gone so rolling room is created again.

Shorter riders are disadvantaged from rut preparation but less likely to get their helmets peaks caught on the tapes so the ideal speedway rider of the future will have long legs and a short body :unsure:

Ultimately every rider is out to get the best advantage they can get and starts of this nature will never be perfect

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Star Lady said:

I really cannot understand why anyone can not blame the riders for not knowing the rules. Imagine the uproar if a footballer didn't know the offside rule or a rugby player was ignorant of the high tackle rule. They are supposedly professionals. People in any walk of life should  know the rules of their employment. 

Yes the team manager should make sure the riders know the rules. From tweets last night, the riders were told by their respective managers, which proved exactly how much notice they take of them:P

As for the need for such a rule, that's beside the point. I assume they thought it would speed up meetings, which it won't. Anyway if we have to blame someone for the rule the blame lies purely at the feet (or should that be the shovel) of one Tai Woffinden:P

An awful lot of footballers & managers do not know the rules. It has been the same for speedway also in many cases & even referees on some occasions, meetings where riders were not eligible to ride as guests & the BSPA have later altered the score to reflect the ineligibility. Mind you, it takes enormous concentration to read all the way through them. They seem to go on forever.

14 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I Said on Twitter straight after heat 15 how can we have an unsatisfactory start when I'm.sureni read that you can only stop a race for a tape Infringment out the start. 

It may be that they can stop it under this rule. 15.5 The Referee, alone, may stop a heat, following an incident or accident, by showing the "stop" Signal if in his/her opinion it would be dangerous to allow the heat to continue.  They could consider "bunching" an incident that would be dangerous to continue the race.

2 hours ago, DunRobin said:

An awful lot of footballers & managers do not know the rules. It has been the same for speedway also in many cases.......

It's a shame that the managers on Monday didn't remind their riders of the gardening rule in their premeeting briefing.

23 minutes ago, False dawn said:

It's a shame that the managers on Monday didn't remind their riders of the gardening rule in their premeeting briefing.

They did but it was forgotten

Looking at the Prem greensheets it seems the multiplyer between championship and premiership has changed. 

It’s a bit more fluid now rather that having one fixed figure. 

Mitchell 3.00 2.31 (1.3)

Jye 5.06 4.00 (1.27)

James 3.33 3.00 (1.11)

Max 4.15 2.00 (2.08)

Richie 9.13 6.55 (1.39)

Edited by ouch

The incompetence of the BSPA / SCB is evident, already 4 amendments to the 2018 rulebook :rolleyes: