Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I really cannot understand why anyone can not blame the riders for not knowing the rules. Imagine the uproar if a footballer didn't know the offside rule or a rugby player was ignorant of the high tackle rule. They are supposedly professionals. People in any walk of life should  know the rules of their employment. 

Yes the team manager should make sure the riders know the rules. From tweets last night, the riders were told by their respective managers, which proved exactly how much notice they take of them:P

As for the need for such a rule, that's beside the point. I assume they thought it would speed up meetings, which it won't. Anyway if we have to blame someone for the rule the blame lies purely at the feet (or should that be the shovel) of one Tai Woffinden:P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I really cannot understand why anyone can not blame the riders for not knowing the rules. Imagine the uproar if a footballer didn't know the offside rule or a rugby player was ignorant of the high tackle rule. They are supposedly professionals. People in any walk of life should  know the rules of their employment. 

Yes the team manager should make sure the riders know the rules. From tweets last night, the riders were told by their respective managers, which proved exactly how much notice they take of them:P

As for the need for such a rule, that's beside the point. I assume they thought it would speed up meetings, which it won't. Anyway if we have to blame someone for the rule the blame lies purely at the feet (or should that be the shovel) of one Tai Woffinden:P

So I understand Fricke was interviewed afterwards. All riders pre the meeting were told of new rule by their team managers. He forgot when at tapes as everywhere else you can get off bike to garden. Old habits he said. 

Stupid rule anyway. 2minute digital clock at start. Every league / country the same. 

But I can guess promoters reaction to clock. “But we can’t afford one “ FfS 

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

Yes the riders would know the rules,but i think you have to give them a bit of slack at the start of the season.By all means get excluded and they will remember not to get off their bike after a few exclusions i'm sure.As regards footballers/rugby players they know the rules but they still try to get away with it.

And at work again if you have done something for a while and they change it not everyone will do it right first time don't you agree.

Same as when the rule was brought into football that keepers couldnt pick up from a back pass. Few forgot in the first few weeks and it soon stopped and this will be the same

Seem the referee's need time as well as heat 15 last night was called back for an unsatisfactory start yet nobody touched the tapes

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Seem the referee's need time as well as heat 15 last night was called back for an unsatisfactory start yet nobody touched the tapes

Touching the tapes is an exclusion. Not remaining stationary is results in an unsatisfactory start.

7 minutes ago, MattK said:

Touching the tapes is an exclusion. Not remaining stationary is results in an unsatisfactory start.

Wasn't the idea that a race would continue if nobody touched the tapes as a way of keeping down the number of stoppages?

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Wasn't the idea that a race would continue if nobody touched the tapes as a way of keeping down the number of stoppages?

That would be a good idea then disqualify the rider and reallocate his points after the race. 

Edited by A ORLOV

In my view, the simple answer to gardening is to revert to concrete starting areas. 

I know it is an old fashioned method but it worked. There was never any gardening with a concrete starting area.

2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

In my view, the simple answer to gardening is to revert to concrete starting areas. 

I know it is an old fashioned method but it worked. There was never any gardening with a concrete starting area.

Yep yr right, it is old fashioned. I never recalled any gardening in the early 70's and 80's, so why now ?

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

That might be ok but with continual grading it would not be long before the concrete slab ends up one or half an inch above the shale and what then happens to the bike when it hits it at 60 mph and takes off.  A slab would also damage any blade used to reshape the track.

15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

What is wrong with gardening? I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

I just don't see what the purpose of this rule is. If riders are at the tapes and ready to race by the end of the 2 minutes, what is the issue?

If they are still gardening they aren't ready to race,  simples.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Star Lady said:

If we lived in a perfect world and riders were robots I'd agree but like every other professional sport which has rule changes there will be teething problems like it or not.

As for why we don't have centre green clocks as people have suggested I think we all know it's to try and achieve the same result on the cheap.

12 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

If they are still gardening they aren't ready to race,  simples.

You have 2 minutes. You have 2 minutes.