British Speedway Forum

On 20/03/2018 at 10:18 PM, crescent girl said:

This rule does actually disadvantage very short riders.      

Lasse Bjerre is one, plus MPT, Rohan Tungate.       These guys simply don't have long enough legs to dig up, or pack down dirt without dismounting!

There was a case in point at Swindon last night. The only rider to transgress was Dan Bewley in his first ride. After that he ran four dismal lasts except for one race when he made the gate and at Blunsdon last night that was good enough for a win. 

It does look like yet another well-intentioned but ill thought through rule. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The incompetence of the BSPA / SCB is evident, already 4 amendments to the 2018 rulebook :rolleyes:

...and it was the proof reader's day of again.

What is calcification of a rule? 

• Like 1

Just now, RobMcCaffery said:

There was a case in point at Swindon last night. The only rider to transgress was Dan Bewley in his first ride. After that he ran four dismal lasts except for one race when he made the gate and at Blunsdon last night that was good enough for a win. 

It does look like yet another well-intentioned but ill thought through rule. 

Like many of them, they do not seem to think the rules through and there are as many bad as there are reasonable.

6 minutes ago, Alan_Jones said:

...and it was the proof reader's day of again.

What is calcification of a rule? 

Making the rule a "Bone of contention"?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Like many of them, they do not seem to think the rules through and there are as many bad as there are reasonable.

And conflicting. One of the best decisions I ever made was to let others worry about the rules, especially those regarding averages and team building, just know what to look for and try to just enjoy the matches. There was a time when I pored over every rule. One day I sat there trying to see how two rules, either side of a page could possibly co-exist. Any fool could see that they were in direct conflict. I realised it was pointless to try to understand something that was literally 'designed by committee' and was just a series of hole-plugging, knee-jerk reactions. 

It's a good job team managers have so little to do tactically when just understanding the rule book is more than enough to occupy them. Rather than give the job to ex-riders I'd be hiring a lawyer....

Giving up really helped me enjoy the sport so much more, and there's a few in here who could with learning the same lesson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The incompetence of the BSPA / SCB is evident, already 4 amendments to the 2018 rulebook :rolleyes:

Spot on. They are a complete and utter joke. Even the rules that dont get amended to, won't be adhered to more often than not anyway!!...e.g. 4 mins between races!!...yeah, RIGHT!

• Like 1

So can't see it anywhere on this theme - but can someone in the know please explain exactly how the Green Sheet Averages ( MA ) are calculated each month as we go through the season? I read from the rules that MAs will be calculated on a rolling basis - ( encompassing which rides - do I assume it is the last 12 months stats including the current month in the 'rolling period' ?

Confused is what I am ....

Cheers

41 minutes ago, Robbobee said:

So can't see it anywhere on this theme - but can someone in the know please explain exactly how the Green Sheet Averages ( MA ) are calculated each month as we go through the season? I read from the rules that MAs will be calculated on a rolling basis - ( encompassing which rides - do I assume it is the last 12 months stats including the current month in the 'rolling period' ?

Confused is what I am ....

Cheers

A bit of a contradiction in the Averages rule, in that although they will be Rolling Averages (eventually), 2017 stats are not included. Updated averages will be achieved once a rider has completed 4H & 4A.

I have no idea of the reasoning behind not using 2017 stats.

On 19/03/2018 at 9:02 PM, Star Lady said:

We moan at the BSPA for not being professional but the riders really should read the rule book. The fans know the new rules why dont the riders. Almost as if they don't care.

Was mentioned by one of our team yesterday that riders forget.

21 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

15.14 TOP SCORER’S HEAT (Heat 15 in all SGB League Competitions) incl NDL
15.14.1 Gate Positions are determined by the outcome of the Coin Toss at the start of the Meeting.
15.14.2 The Home Team Manager nominates first, but once nominated these cannot be amended,
except by the Referee should the nomination not conform to the Regulations.
15.14.3 Nominations must be a ‘qualified’ Rider, determined as either:
a) A Rider in the top 3 of that Meeting’s Team by current MA (NB. A Team missing
one of the top 3 and using the RR facility) may use the 4th highest Rider by MA.
or
B) A Top 5 points scorer (counting the 4 x programmed rides only, including bonus
points). Excluding any rider who has already taken 7 rides or if one of those top 5 point scorers has already taken 7 rides then the 6th highest points scorer
becomes a ‘qualified’ rider. (NB: No facility is available allowing another rider to be elevated to the qualified list if any of those top 5 points scorers are unavailable due to be withdrawn or has no equipment).
If a rider is disqualified for an offence under Art 15.3 the Team Manager may choose either of the following options: -
i) The disqualified rider can start on a 15 metre handicap in c or d (The opposing team does not change gate positions).
or
ii) Is replaced by a reserve who will start from the same gate position at the tapes.
In a re-run of heat 15 a non-disqualified rider who is unable to take part may be replaced by a reserve or another ‘qualified’ rider.

Can I suggest an easier amendment

1. Riders are selected by the team manager who can choose any rider from his teams 1-7 less any that have already completed 7 rides.

2. Any offences at the start or during the race incur the usual penalties as per heats 1-14.

Is it really that difficult.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

A bit of a contradiction in the Averages rule, in that although they will be Rolling Averages (eventually), 2017 stats are not included. Updated averages will be achieved once a rider has completed 4H & 4A.

Last year it was 2h 2a as per Max Clegg. 

Not seen any amendment. 

Edited by ouch

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

Section 16 says 'assessed' riders need 4H & 4A. No mention of existing riders.

21 minutes ago, ouch said:

Last year it was 2h 2a as per Max Clegg. 

Not seen any amendment. 

No mention of this in section 16.

• Like 1

See the BSPA have shown some sense at last. The starting rules have reverted to last season & riders can get off their bike to do their gardening. There was no sense in the rule as they still had to be under power & under the control of the start marshal within the 2 min's anyway.

Does anyone know why MPT’s rolling average doesn’t include his meetings from last year?

If it had his average would be 5.51 thus altering his place in the line up. Also this makes his guest replacement of Summers (5.44) at Poole illegal. 

It really screws up other meetings as well so I’m not sure if they will alter the score, run them again or just brush it under the carpet as seems likely. 

I’ve emailed the BSPA about rider averages (there are a lot of anomalies) but they just ignore me. 

Any explanation would be appreciated. 

dontforgetthefueltapsbruv is your man to ask.

• Haha 1