British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Vaclav Verner

I see news gathering on social media this morning that Vaclav Verner has sadly passes away.

Sad news indeed if it's true.

Never saw Vaclav around the County Ground where he was apparently a sight to behold but saw him ride at many other venues.

Vaclav was as about as hard and single minded on the track as would anyone from the "old Eastern Europe"

However a nicer, more friendly amusing and warm human being it would be hard to find

He was at Peterborough with us at one stage and was universally popular. Vaclav was a wonderful friend and i for one will miss that huge smile. 

James

• Like 1

My first memory of Vaclav, was seeing him take on the concrete safety wall at Romford, and win!. A real tough rider who entertained us with his all action style. RIP Vaclav.

• Like 2

Vaclav had some great years with Exeter and with Autrey they had some very good sides a massive home advantage at the scary County  Ground but it took some  b...s.   to ride there week in week out.Exeter over the years had a great association with Czech riders i.e.) Holub, Verner, (Vac and Jan,) Dryml,Kudrna,Svab jnr) i loved my visits to Exeter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Vaclav had some great years with Exeter and with Autrey they had some very good sides a massive home advantage at the scary County  Ground but it took some  b...s.   to ride there week in week out.Exeter over the years had a great association with Czech riders i.e.) Holub, Verner, (Vac and Jan,) Dryml,Kudrna,Svab jnr) i loved my visits to Exeter.

Me too sid, one of my all time favourite tracks.

• Like 1

This really is some terrible news. Hard as nails, and a little scary at times, but the kind of rider every manager and every fan would welcome in their team. A 100% trier, a loyal team man, a nice guy, and someone I will remember very fondly.

R.I.P. Vaclav

Steve

• Like 1

I posted this on FB on learning this very sad news. As an Exeter fan of 40 years, one of my three favourite Falcons ever. Deeply saddened by this news.

"Absolutely gutted to hear of the passing of this outstanding speedway racer. I began my speedway education at Exeter in 1975 & when this guy arrived in 1977 it was a like a whirlwind had blown into Devon. One of the most magnificent racers ever to grace the CG, he was totally fearless but fair on track & was possibly the most spectacular racer ever to wear the green & white & one of my top three Falcons of all time. No one wanted to miss a race when this guy was on track - he... was dynamite. Off track, he was the complete antithesis of his on track self, kind, gentle, humorous, always happy to speak to & spend time with fans & just the most amazing commitment to the cause - trekking across from Czecho every week, when the iron curtain was still up, in his Skoda.

Speedway has truly lost a great man & a gentleman. A sad, sad day for our great sport. RIP Vac & thanks for the most amazing memories you left us all with."

And I posted this on the Dream Team section of the Speedway Plus website in 2006.

"During those formative years of my speedway days at Exeter, an unknown Czech arrived in 1977 & became possibly the most spectacular racer in the history of the Falcons. Paid 11 on his debut & incredibly a near 11 point average at home in that first season. But it wasn't his points scoring that endeared him to me or the other Exeter faithful, but his all out, full throttle style. I swear once his reputation got around visiting riders would miss the gate to make sure he was ahead of them! The County Ground was a fearsome place with its banking & steel fence, but many a rider would ride wide only for Vac to find a "gap" to go outside him & roar to another win! It was only when you rushed down to the fence to see the tyre marks half way up the steel fence you realised that there was actually no gap to go through...."

• Like 4

Sad news indeed. As a late 80s regular at the County Ground, it was obvious that Vaclav Verner was the club’s ultimate cult hero.  He had a huge reputation among Falcons fans who had been privileged to see him race in the 70s.

So when he joined again in the 90s, it had all the potential hallmarks of an old hero tarnishing his reputation. But he still had enough dare and flair to be able to shock and surprise old and young supporters alike. It was like an old rock hero coming back for a farewell tour and still having it. RIP

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

Vaclav Verner couldn't have been no older than early 70's?

Shock to me cause he always seemed such a healthy. fit bloke!

Amazing to watch at Exeter and I well remember the Czech tours of the early 70's on the 2nd Division tracks where he made a massive impression with his daredevil riding!

Was still a force on track in the early 90's!

4 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Vaclav Verner couldn't have been no older than early 70's?

He would have been 69 in May.