British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sidney

Wimbledon stadium

Very sad to see yesterday that the demolition of Wimbledon stadium has started.

I have spent so many happy days there supporting the Dons. An important venue in the history of speedway is being lost and I doubt we will see a new stadium for speedway in London.

A sad day

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Terrible news even when we knew it was coming...sad day indeed!

• Sad 1

Sadly I never made it to Wimbledon, mind neither did 3 of the Hull team in 1979, but the stadium track looked good from what I saw on TV & DVDs with an interesting start / finish line arrangement.  Harping on about oldish events aside, another iconic venue with loads of speedway history is gone....

• Like 2

Happy memories of Bank Holiday visits for the FIM Internationale

RIP Plough Lane

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Happy memories of Bank Holiday visits for the FIM Internationale

RIP Plough Lane

Internationale sticks in my memory - always worth the journey

• Like 1

grew up going to Wimbledon, grandad worked there, mum and dad worked there and met there, i worked just behind in Copper Mill Lane and used to nip round in my lunch hour to chat with Maido, so many memories and that's all being smashed in :/

• Like 2

Same here Steve.Grandad was in the St.Johns working at the stadium and my mums uncle was mechanic for Ronnie and then machine examiner there.One of the family even lived in the flats overlooking the stadium.Great memories for a lot of my family there.So much excitement just going to the track in the old days and a few scares going down the alley back to Colliers Wood after the meeting :o Sad that there is no longer room and support for a speedway team in London any more

• Like 3

last time i went in the stadium, 2008

DSC00002-2.jpg

• Like 3

DSC00010-2.jpg

• Like 3

DSC00019-2.jpg

• Like 3

Some great images of an iconic historic stadium.

• Like 1

Went to my first meeting at Wimbledon a babe in arms. I never lost my feeling of pride at seeing the Dons ride in such a fantastic stadium. We never had the best team in my era but standing on the first bend was something that I’ll never forget.

To then have the honour of serving the club in a minor capacity in their CL days still makes me feel as proud as punch.