British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sidney

Wimbledon stadium

26 minutes ago, prodons said:

Went to my first meeting at Wimbledon a babe in arms. I never lost my feeling of pride at seeing the Dons ride in such a fantastic stadium. We never had the best team in my era but standing on the first bend was something that I’ll never forget.

To then have the honour of serving the club in a minor capacity in their CL days still makes me feel as proud as punch. 

My memories are very similar to Prodons. Standing on the pit bend was fantastic. Such an atmosphere. 

In the later years I had the pleasure of assisting on race days.

What a venue. What a club. What riders. What supporters. It's a measure of the love we have for the club that there are still active Facebook groups, regular catch ups and active involvement with the riders. 

Gone, but never forgotten. 

• Like 1

As a 'City 'Rebel' fan I used to enjoy encounters between the two clubs. Two great stadiums lost for ever!

for the 'first bend loonies' out there

DSC00008.JPG

• Like 1

The last of the great, historic speedway stadia.

Whenever I visited it gave me a taste of those great days of the sport, especially in London, when there was a top class speedway meeting in London five nights a week. The last whisper of those remarkable days has been silenced.

Football always gets what it wants. If only it got what it deserved instead......

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Whenever I visited it gave me a taste of those great days of the sport, especially in London, when there was a top class speedway meeting in London five nights a week. The last whisper of those remarkable days has been silenced.

Football always gets what it wants. If only it got what it deserved instead......

I hear that.  And rugby too, to a lesser extent....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

What about Sheffield, opened in 1929 as a speedway stadium

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

What about Sheffield, opened in 1929 as a speedway stadium

May be historic and impressive by modern standards but no competition for the great London stadia like Wimbledon or the old Belle Vue. 

• Like 1

At one time there were 33 greyhound Stadiums in the London Post Code, and now None   

I supported the Dons from 1958 until their closure.

The demolition of this iconic venue is the saddest day in my long speedway life. 

Wimbledon 1st Bend.jpg

Wimbledon 2nd Bend.jpg

Wimbledon 3rd Bend.jpg

• Like 1

My all time favourite rider.

Ron How - Wimbledon.png

Ron How at Plough Lane.jpg

• Like 2

Andre Cross

Andre Cross.jpg

Mark 'Buzz' Burrows

Mark Burrows.jpg

On 3/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, stevehone said:

for the 'first bend loonies' out there

DSC00008.JPG

Yes, I can see my spot too!  And I can also see - right under that EXIT sign above the steps - the spot where I tried to kill myself during the 1980 Laurels...

Steve

59 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yes, I can see my spot too!  And I can also see - right under that EXIT sign above the steps - the spot where I tried to kill myself during the 1980 Laurels...

Steve

The meeting wasn't that bad, surely.  Oh, you mean you prob fell or suffered a mishap of some kind B).  Mentioned to a pal about Plough Lane sadly closing and he reminded me that when enquiring about seats on a possible Hull supporters club coach for Dons v Vikings, also in 1980, the ticket seller wryly replied "the team don't even go to Wimbledon (referring to 1979 - yet again), so why would we run a coach trip ?!" :rolleyes:.  Don't recall if they did run a coach or not that year, if they did I never made for some reason....

Edited by martinmauger
adjustment of sarcasm level