British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sidney

Wimbledon stadium

I visited once in the 60's and once in the 70's.

Very sad although a long way for me living in Harrow at the time, went to Wimbledon and Hackney most weeks during the seventies

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

The meeting wasn't that bad, surely.  Oh, you mean you prob fell or suffered a mishap of some kind B).  Mentioned to a pal about Plough Lane sadly closing and he reminded me that when enquiring about seats on a possible Hull supporters club coach for Dons v Vikings, also in 1980, the ticket seller wryly replied "the team don't even go to Wimbledon (referring to 1979 - yet again), so why would we run a coach trip ?!" :rolleyes:.  Don't recall if they did run a coach or not that year, if they did I never made for some reason....

Um, "mishap"???  That's one way of putting it!  Cutting a long story short, I was chasing someone down the steps at full speed, and I jumped...  I hit the concrete head first (right below the EXIT sign), and was unconscious for 6 1/2 hours!  What really irked me was that Larry won, and Roger was second - and as I was carted off on the stretcher during the interval, I missed the only Dons' success of the year!

The only time I ever made it up to the Boulevard was in 1981, on Royal Wedding Day.  Simmo and Anders got a last-heat 5-1 over Joe Owen and Billy Sanders to a draw.  It has only just hit me as I was writing this, but three of those are no longer with us, and the other is in a wheelchair.  That is really depressing to think of that...

Steve

• Like 1

On 19 March 2018 at 10:46 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

May be historic and impressive by modern standards but no competition for the great London stadia like Wimbledon or the old Belle Vue. 

...or indeed Custom House which unfortunately I never had the chance to visit.

Guest compost
5 hours ago, chunky said:

Um, "mishap"???  That's one way of putting it!  Cutting a long story short, I was chasing someone down the steps at full speed, and I jumped...  I hit the concrete head first (right below the EXIT sign), and was unconscious for 6 1/2 hours!  What really irked me was that Larry won, and Roger was second - and as I was carted off on the stretcher during the interval, I missed the only Dons' success of the year!

The only time I ever made it up to the Boulevard was in 1981, on Royal Wedding Day.  Simmo and Anders got a last-heat 5-1 over Joe Owen and Billy Sanders to a draw.  It has only just hit me as I was writing this, but three of those are no longer with us, and the other is in a wheelchair.  That is really depressing to think of that...

Steve

Anders is still with us according to the Internet

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Wasn't being sarcy, just 'joined in' with the humour I thought you intended.  I got a stone full in the eye at King's Lynn on my first visit and  never liked going to Lynn much after that, this being attempt no.3 to see a meeting there after numerous rain offs.  Falling & landing on one's nut isn't funny, I once fell down stairs - 2 stairs up - and knocked myself out for an hour ro so....

4 hours ago, compost said:

Anders is still with us according to the Internet

Not sure where you would have seen that, but Anders passed away from cancer in 2002.

Steve

30 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not sure where you would have seen that, but Anders passed away from cancer in 2002.

Steve

I've never read of his passing either Chunky, can you remember where you read that please?

34 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Is this the rider we are talking about?

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/459/anders-eriksson

I wonder if that site is reliable, and I don't recollect ever seeing mention of it in the media. 

25 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I wonder if that site is reliable, and I don't recollect ever seeing mention of it in the media. 

Yep i remember Anders passing, great shame

Guest compost
20 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Michanek

Cradley Heath website - http://www.cradleyspeedway.co.uk/riders/amichanek.htm

A site called 'how old' - https://howold.co/anders-michanek

(which says he is 75 is 69 days time - so it is definitely not saying deceased).

Can't see anywhere that says he has passed away.  If I got it wrong then apols but hopefully your report is wrong and he is still with us.

Edited by compost

27 minutes ago, compost said:

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Michanek

Cradley Heath website - http://www.cradleyspeedway.co.uk/riders/amichanek.htm

A site called 'how old' - https://howold.co/anders-michanek

(which says he is 75 is 69 days time - so it is definitely not saying deceased).

Can't see anywhere that says he has passed away.  If I got it wrong then apols but hopefully your report is wrong and he is still with us.

I'm assuming they're talking about Anders Eriksson, maybe somebody could confirm please. 

26 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I'm assuming they're talking about Anders Eriksson, maybe somebody could confirm please. 

I think that's the reference. He died I believe in 2002?