British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Charity Shield 2nd leg 22/03/18 Swindon - Belle Vue

19 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The racing was terrible, up until heat 12 there hadn’t been a single pass or anyone close to even making a pass. Couple of oases in last few heats but that was heatleaders passing number 7’s which would always expect. It was all about gating and the gates were inconsistent.

Agree, there was hardly any overtaking but the ref to "not a bad meeting" was watching the improvement of the Swindon team as the night went on, not the mostly processional racing.

Like a few others I was more concerned about the cold and still wonder why we start the season in the winter.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Like a few others I was more concerned about the cold and still wonder why we start the season in the winter.   

So that the most rain dependent outdoor sport going can take a nice break in the Summer!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Aces High said:

So that the most rain dependent outdoor sport going can take a nice break in the Summer!!!

Bloody right, what changes can the bspa make to screw up the sport next 

58 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Bloody freezing at the shabby Abbey last night. Still, a visit to the back straight bogs made it all worthwhile!

Surprised you got out of those disgusting toilets alive!!! not the best of meetings Davey impressed rode some great lines.Cook early doors looked mighty quick he actually rode the shabby a bit differently last night rode wide attacked got into trouble once or twice on bend two.

Hopefully if the track is shortened the racing will be less gate dependent.

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So much for all the Bewley hype.  

Trolling again very pathetic but expected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

I realised many years ago that I'm too old and too wise to stand outside in April and October ! (March doesn't even come into it.)

• Like 1

Good win for the Robins but early days to make bold predictions.

Bellego proving his worth and Davey scoring well are a couple of extra bonuses for Swindon and might shut the south coast numptys up

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Good win for the Robins but early days to make bold predictions.

Bellego proving his worth and Davey scoring well are a couple of extra bonuses for Swindon and might shut the south coast numptys up

Be fair, Gav, Poole aren’t numpties: we won repeatedly in their back yard last year. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Agree, there was hardly any overtaking but the ref to "not a bad meeting" was watching the improvement of the Swindon team as the night went on, not the mostly processional racing.

Technically - we are into Spring :wink:  Not that you'd notice with the weather :wink:

4 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Yes it was one of those meetings where the scoring was more interesting than the racing. A highlight for me as a neutral was seeing Mitchell Davey's progress. To see a rider who at one time seemed unable to make the break-through into reliable scoring and had seemed lost to the sport emerging as a real talent, albeit at 28, is a tribute to his determination.

I am sure success now tastes very sweet for him. His seven points could be argued to have swung the tie with Swindon scoring 3 more than their target of 49. Of course all played their part in a solid display and I suspect the Robins will not find the loss of Doyle as destructive as they might have feared. 

Belle Vue's mid-meeting slump was alarming and it was hard not to agree with those Aces fans who think Drozdz and Worrall should swap places. Damian is not an established star in Poland and has no heat-leader experience at the top level.

There wasn't enough racing though and the outsidew line, except at the start, was totally useless to riders. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of modern speedway to see riders bravely opening the throttle, going for the outside and just falling further back. Instead the little passing we had beyond the second bend was experienced riders slipping through on the inside of the less experienced. 

With the recent weather though you have to be grateful that the Robins' track team produced a very suitable circuit for riding, if not racing. Their hard work at least gave us a meeting. Better times will come but if that new stadium ever does get built I do hope it will produce closer racing. I've been very disappointed by the racing at Blunsdon for some time.

Putting that all aside, this was the first time I'd been able to get the Abbey, or indeed anywhere other than a one-off at Scunthorpe last year, for a couple of seasons. Thankfully I can now start watching regularly at last and I was just overjoyed to finally get back to watching the sport I love live. 

As for 'starting in winter', well I've known wintry Marches and superb Marches. Spring starts a few days after the official season start date and we have to get as many meetings in as possible before the May-August 'low season' when we can only run irregular meetings due to international demands and the attraction of other sports ;-) Yet again most tracks are running weekly until the end of April then it's back to the usual mess. 

Sometimes, you don't really know what you have until it's gone though. Well, when you get it back you realise even more!

16 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So much for all the Bewley hype.  

Never really understood why rival fans seemed to dislike Poole so much?

But after being a member on this forum for a number of years , its becoming a lot clearer.

Pathetic comment, 

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

Never really understood why rival fans seemed to dislike Poole so much?

But after being a member on this forum for a number of years , its becoming a lot clearer.

Pathetic comment, 

Dan Bewley - 3, 0, 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0 = 10 from 11 rides.

Tell me, are you not disappointed in that? Belle Vue fans have been shouting for weeks how he is going to get a big average etc. Yet Mitchell Davey, who Swindon fans had written off before a wheel had turned, outscored him easily.

Having said that there’s doubt in my mind that Bewley is a talent and will come good over the course of the season.

As for Swindon’s number one. Only one heat win in 9. Not good enough. Is he KK in disguise?

Nick Morris - 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 1+1, 3 x, 1

Edited by Steve Shovlar

42 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Tell me, are you not disappointed in that? Belle Vue fans have been shouting for weeks how he is going to get a big average etc. Yet Mitchell Davey, who Swindon fans had written off before a wheel had turned, outscored him easily.

Having said that there’s doubt in my mind that Bewley is a talent and will come good over the course of the season.

As for Swindon’s number one. Only one heat win in 9. Not good enough. Is he KK in disguise?

oh when the downfall comes only a matter of time 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No im not dissapointed at all , its two meetings at the beginning of the season ! , and he's had mechanical problems . 

Also cant remember any Belle Vue fans "shouting for weeks about his average "?

Dan Bewley is the kind of talent British speedway has been crying out for for years, but he's still only 18 , we have to be patient 

certainly comments like "so much for the Bewley hype" are uncalled-for,  especially after 2 meetings    

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 1