British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich V Lakeside Good Friday 2.15pm

So you have a decent holiday crowd in who have paid full price to watch 15 heats of speedway.

"Okay, folks, the weather's beaten us. Hope you didn't mind the riders' problems in staying on their bikes. Don't worry, if you're new to speedway the racing's usually far better. No, you don't get any money back, but hey, we GOT A RESULT!" See you next week!"

Too many people believe getting to heat 10 makes it all worthwhile. You get the points and the cash, but what about next time?

Isn't it time that giving the paying public value for money counts more than getting a result while we still have a paying public left? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

So you have a decent holiday crowd in who have paid full price to watch 15 heats of speedway.

"Okay, folks, the weather's beaten us. Hope you didn't mind the riders' problems in staying on their bikes. Don't worry, if you're new to speedway the racing's usually far better. No, you don't get any money back, but hey, we GOT A RESULT!" See you next week!"

Too many people believe getting to heat 10 makes it all worthwhile. You get the points and the cash, but what about next time?

Isn't it time that giving the paying public value for money counts more than getting a result while we still have a paying public left? 

Couldn’t agree more.

I've now been called into work earlier than originally asked so now I am joining in on the rain dance!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Omg, how have the moderators let this post slip through the net, it's far too sensible. 

Not truer words have I ever read on here.

Because of the weather forecast for the day and speedway fans knowing what can happen, I very much doubt this would have been much of a bumper crowd anyway.  Fans have been stung far too often.

I'd much rather an early call off. Trying to beat the weather with people inside the stadium does no one any favours.

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

So what happens to a cricket match if it is rained off half way through you have to pay full price

Wimbledon tennis if it rains halfway through the days play there are no refunds there

In football I do not think you get your money back if the match is abandoned before 90 minutes

Even the British darts open at Butlins where the public were not allowed there would no rebate if you were staying there

So Speedway is no different to other sports  

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

So what happens to a cricket match if it is rained off half way through you have to pay full price

Wimbledon tennis if it rains halfway through the days play there are no refunds there

In football I do not think you get your money back if the match is abandoned before 90 minutes

Even the British darts open at Butlins where the public were not allowed there would no rebate if you were staying there

So Speedway is no different to other sports  

But if it can be rearranged to another day when people will get what they paid for why not do it? No one has said speedway is any different.

2 minutes ago, liam said:

But if it can be rearranged to another day when people will get what they paid for why not do it? No one has said speedway is any different.

You just have to look at the Poole v Somerset thread for your answer tbh. This morning calling for it to be off, then it was called off, now they are crying, forecast has changed so perhaps wrong to call off. By their very nature, it would appear speedway fans are weird. If a promoter calls off early, you will have conspiracy theories winging about, and if they try to get it on, but get defeated by the weather, they get it in the neck for putting money before fans.

Can't win, springs to mind

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Badge said:

You just have to look at the Poole v Somerset thread for your answer tbh. This morning calling for it to be off, then it was called off, now they are crying, forecast has changed so perhaps wrong to call off. By their very nature, it would appear speedway fans are weird. If a promoter calls off early, you will have conspiracy theories winging about, and if they try to get it on, but get defeated by the weather, they get it in the neck for putting money before fans.

Can't win, springs to mind

Some people are weird I won’t argue with that and Iam pretty sure some will be hoping we have no more rain so they can have a good old moan at Cook for calling it off lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, Stainlesssteelride said:

Only the lakeside one?

At the moment according to Lakeside website.

Good report on Anglia news this evening on KL and mentioned the other fixtures this weekend but did show Ipswich at 1.15. I suspect that is an error but just in case, has the time of the meeting been changed?