British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich V Lakeside Good Friday 2.15pm

Tapes up a week tomorrow so time to start a meeting thread! A few things to look out for from a Witches point of view. How will Hartel start, how will Covatti and Hume return after their near season long injuries, and a chance to look at the track after the final tweaks were completed. 

Bit concerned that it looks like only a couple of the lads will have rode competitive laps, whilst the Lakeside boys will all have had two meetings in the Lee Richardson memorial, and a fixture against Peterborough. Will that give Lakeside the edge?

With such a small group you lose a home fixture you’re probably out! 

• Like 1

Early season and the first meeting in particular are difficult to predict.

Many riders will have brand new equipment and how it performs in anger can play a big part (just look at Tungate for Belle Vue)

Coming through the meeting unscathed is probably as important as the result but agree with AS that a home loss in this group and that team is almost certainly out.

Confident that all will be well and the Witched will run out winners by at least 12

let’s hope we get some decent weather in the days leading up to Good Friday Taps! Really looking forward to it I’ve missed the Good Friday fixtures. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

Have to confess that Im doing a rain dance :o

In recent years (and again this) its a big family weekend away so Ive been pleased there had been no Easter speedway!!

Will have to rely on the ever wonderful updates

Updates are fantastic, but plenty of choice now with the ipswich twitter and facebook page and Bacon all doing their own, but none are as informative as the updates. They will need to have fast fingers now what with the one less minute between heats.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

One week today then, 2 in one day, and 4 in a week. 

Then not another meeting until the 26th . .

4 minutes ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

And even with all the gaps, I bet there will still be a mad rush for some teams to fulfil their fixtures at the end of the season.

Goes with out saying , always happens every season . 

Don't know if Ipswich and Mildenhall worked together but it looks like you could work it one week you go to Foxhall and the following week you could go to West Row , that way people can get their weekly speedway fix . 

Advance warning on getting to the stadium on Good Friday, access  to Foxhall Rd from Ipswich direction is blocked by roadworks at Foxhall Rd roundabout for about another 3 or 4 weeks. Unless you know your way through the local housing estate best to go via bypass. Access from Northern bypass is completely clear.

Hope this helps any travelling fans.

• Thanks 1

And if coming down Foxhall Road and past the "tip" when you get to Bell Lane there's a sign up saying "Road Closed " you fine to get to the stadium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m hoping to get up to Ipswich for this, I’ve always enjoyed my visits there over the years and now that Lakeside are back in the same league as the Witches I have all the more reason to go!

Should be an interesting meeting, I think Ipswich have put together another great team this season. Honestly not sure what I’m expecting the score to be at this early stage though!

Still the concern for me is Lakeside having a couple of competitive meetings under their belts before we’ve turned a wheel in anger. 

Another blow last night with the Poole individual meeting being postponed as Covatti was due to ride. Would have given him much needed laps under his belt. 

I now make it that only Hume and King will have ridden competitive laps before Friday, as long as their meetings don’t fall to the weather. 

• Like 1

Although I expect ipswich to be the better team over the season, it wouldn't be a shock to me to see Lakeside turn us over twice on Friday, most of their riders will have raced a considerable amount more than ours. 

• Like 1

ahh , racing makes you faster and sharper , where practice does not ..