British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Edinburgh 23 March 2018 7.30pm, 1st leg Scottish Cup

Track was hard packed and slick and a very very cold night but it was great to be back. Richie and James had an off night and will do better in the future. Was well impressed with young Jack Thomas did not expect that from his debut a star in the making for sure. Starke ,Kerr and Vissing were superb and for the Monarchs Erik Riss will be at no 1 before the end of the season, he improves year on year. Max Ruml showed some flashes and should do well once he gets to grips with the different tracks ..Matt Williamson had a good night and is very difficult to pass when he is in front, all in all it was ja cracking night , glad to be back ,would like a bit more dirt down for when bomber is back  .

• Like 1

Apparently Stewart Dickson is going to be a guest on Radio Scotland's Off the Ball programme around 12-30 

Good workout for the boys last night, I’m sure they’ll be a little disappointed being 2 down with 2 to go and then go on to concede 2 5-1s.

Ricky was solid, young max was impressive and looks a great find, mark was solid as a 3rd heat leader, tough baptism to British speedway for Joel hopefully he will improve with time, Erik looks the real deal this year and ready to take the next step in his career can see him being number 1 sooner rather than later, josh struggled but we know he can do far better so no need to worry and Matt was the star man for me very impressive sharp out the gate and no slouch after that either. 

New season same old sarj, really needs to learn to sit still at the start getting beyond a joke now.

Edited by Mr Blobby

4 hours ago, Paulco said:

Cause he wasn't very good .

Appreciate that mate but it's a challenge match, surely better for him in the long run to have his fourth ride and get as much experience as possible on the track.

Edited by Bagpuss

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Appreciate that mate but it's a challenge get match, surely better for him in the long run to have his fourth ride and get as much experience as possible on the track.

It wisnae a challenge it was the Scottish cup and I know if I was a monarchs fan I'd be wanting my manager to try everything to win or keep the score tight. By the way enjoyed last night. Considering the weather track not bad and looks nice and wide. Also looked like a good crowd despite the cold and the other attractions on in Glasgow last night. The score sets up the second leg quite nicely 

• Like 1

i thought these pre league/cup meeting were all about getting riders up to speed !  to drop a rider out of his 4th ride for a 50p cup is a big no no shirley ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jenga said:

i thought these pre league/cup meeting were all about getting riders up to speed !  to drop a rider out of his 4th ride for a 50p cup is a big no no shirley ...

Wrong. If you want to get up to speed then go and practise. This was a well promoted match between fierce local rivals for a trophy that has a long proud history. It attracted a big crowd and I'm sure armadale will as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Appreciate that mate but it's a challenge match, surely better for him in the long run to have his fourth ride and get as much experience as possible on the track.

Harkess smelt an away win and the chance to piss all over our event. Not to be. The Monarchs will get plenty practice at the new improved Ashfield being back twice again before the end of May.

35 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Wrong. If you want to get up to speed then go and practise. This was a well promoted match between fierce local rivals for a trophy that has a long proud history. It attracted a big crowd and I'm sure armadale will as well.

practice does not get you up to speed , racing does .practice is for trying things out. racing pushes you a bit farther than you comfort zone .

so I am correct . many years of being involved in M.X.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I enjoyed last night...... great to be back trackside

The new track impressed but is the first time I have ever seen a speedway track with the grass at 90 degrees on the 1st bend..... good job the new track is wide enough to cope. Some really good racing and some learning curves achieved with much to look forward to for both teams....... roll on Friday!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

lol . have a listen to doyley after the belle vue  craven meet . see what he says about practice and racing . so right .

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, jenga said:

lol . have a listen to doyley after the belle vue  craven meet . see what he says about practice and racing . so right .

ok jenga your right. lets sell tickets for a match and don't give a toss if the riders or team managers are trying to win. they are just practising and larking about but we'll charge full prices. that approach will really bring the crowds in. remind me how are worky's crowds doing,

• Haha 1

But if you go to a challenge match or individual meeting in March you have to expect some riders to be easing into their season, it's impossible for man and machine to hit the ground running straight away. You will get some good races like we saw at Belle Vue last night and some not so good.....Jason Doyle admitted he was a bag of nerves before his first race at Belle Vue and felt like he'd forgotten how to ride a motorbike, but visibly improved with every ride.

For me it's quite simple, if you don't want to pay full prices to watch riders getting into full swing then don't go and instead wait for the proper stuff to start.