British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lukas

speedway on Premier sports 2018

Hi people..has anything been said about premier sports showing Polish/Swedish speedway this year or should I cancel my subscription?..or are these leagues being shown elsewhere?..anyone heard anything?cheers

At the end of last year they were promoting the speedway as being on their Freesports channel in 2018. They weren't clear if all would be there or some still on Premier so it's very hard to advise on subscriptions. You could pay then find all the matches being shown free on Freesports, or not bother and find they're using Premier after all.

In media circles the speculation is that Freesports is now their main focus so my guess is that's where we'll find the speedway. They are coming in for criticism about their organisation and seem to be 'shooting from the hip' a great deal of the time. Unfortunately it seems like we'll again have to wait and see. It is probably worth talking to them about your possible renewal, pointing out your concerns regarding the speedway. 

It seems that they are adding coverage deals all the time on Freesports, notably wrestling, cage fighting and pool, alongside the regular 'diet' of ice hockey and minor European football. The concern might be that speedway could get frozen out. There's also talk of an HD service, but not on Freeview due to space and cost constraints - it'd be satellite only. 

Most importantly it seems the coverage will be there, just a case of whether it'll be on the free channel or Premier. It's constantly changing and they're making Eurosport seem stable ;-)

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Swedish League doesn't currently have a TV deal in Sweden, if it stays that way there will be none to show in UK.

I hadn't realised they still hadn't got a deal. Obviously if nobody is covering the matches there will be nothing for Premier/Freesports to show. 

It says on their website that they have secured the rights for polish and Swedish speedway for 2018 starting 9th may and will be 4hr slots most Tuesdays throughout the season.

31 minutes ago, Lukas said:

It says on their website that they have secured the rights for polish and Swedish speedway for 2018 starting 9th may and will be 4hr slots most Tuesdays throughout the season.

As regards Sweden- until the announcement on April 2nd by Spring Media- I wouldn`t take as gospel what  Premier are saying.

premier sports is  a waste of time. subscripted to it for a few years but now seems to be a mickey mouse channel.

Bear in mind it used to be Setanta Sports and now broadcasts in Ireland as eir sports where they have a second channel. Currently there is speculation within the industry whether they will focus on Freesports in future. 

Just cancelled my subscription for this year because I didn't enjoy the coverage , I think I paid £25 last year. This year it's £120 but they offered it me for £75. I could also have taken it out for 4 months from mid May paying monthly with no contract at 60% discount but they didn't say what that would be. Anyone who took the offer last year I'm sure it was automatic renewal so if you don't do anything you could end up paying £120

Announcement 

Premier Sports is delighted to announce we will be showing LIVE Speedway beginning next month 

LIVE Polish Speedway beginning  April 8th 

LIVE Swedish Speedway beginning May 8th  https://t.co/pF8BYueEn8

Excellent showing Polish speedway live.

Speedway on FreeSports April 9th from Poland 12pm to 2pm according to their schedule not live but probably the meeting  which is scheduled on Premier on the 8th. Will need recording for some as it is on at midday https://www.freesports.tv/. Looks like it will be whole meeting if it is on for 2 hours

The April 15th schedule shows live Polish Speedway on Freesports at 6 pm. but nothing else in April at least.  

So it looks like it's going to be a mix between the two channels. We've still over a month before we see the the Swedish pattern. The fact that they are repeating the claim that they will be showing Swedish Speedway does suggest that, unsurprisingly, they have inside information regarding the situation over there regarding TV ahead of the expected April 2nd announcement. 

On 3/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, Noodles said:

Announcement 

Premier Sports is delighted to announce we will be showing LIVE Speedway beginning next month 

LIVE Polish Speedway beginning  April 8th 

LIVE Swedish Speedway beginning May 8th  https://t.co/pF8BYueEn8

Can`t see on their schedule live Polish speedway on Sunday ??

They only list delayed coverage at 00.30 until 03.00 on Sunday night/Monday morning. I'd be wary of relying on their publicity.