British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

Question regarding Tapes

From what I have been reading from the updates site is that if you are moving the ref will hold the tapes longer leading to riders going through the tapes.

The new rule to be applied this year is if you touch the tapes with bike or gear, then you are excluded. Movement does seem to be an issue to be clamped on by the ref's this year. There has been a couple of races that have been classed as unsatisfactory starts even though the tapes have not been touched.

An exclusion should only be if a rider touches or breaks the tapes , riders will always chance it (James Sargent a prime example)but sometimes a rider makes a perfect start and is penalised for it by having a re start  . Let’s make it a black and white decision with no in between 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

An exclusion should only be if a rider touches or breaks the tapes , riders will always chance it (James Sargent a prime example)but sometimes a rider makes a perfect start and is penalised for it by having a re start  . Let’s make it a black and white decision with no in between 

Adam Allott suffered from this. Was never sure whether he guessed right, was damn lucky or . . . but I saw him excluded too many times for "alleged" starting offences. I am all in favour of making in touch tapes or not.

Having said that, the ref should ensure the riders are all perfectly still at the tapes before he pressed GOOOOO

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Adam Allott suffered from this. Was never sure whether he guessed right, was damn lucky or . . . but I saw him excluded too many times for "alleged" starting offences. I am all in favour of making in touch tapes or not.

Having said that, the ref should ensure the riders are all perfectly still at the tapes before he pressed GOOOOO

That can happen but do not forget there is a variable delay between pressing the buton and the tapes going up, during which the rider could move.

2 hours ago, adonis said:

Variable delay ? 

Yes, the ref presses the button and the time between pressing the button and the tapes going up has a built in delay and changes for each race.

6 minutes ago, adonis said:

scrapped in the 90's  far too many restarts 

Did not realise that, it was bought in to stop the riders counting the seconds and predicting the time between the green light going out and the tapes rising, something some riders had down to a tee.