Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Ipswich CS Tuesday 24th April

header_pr.jpg

SPEEDWAY POSTPONEMENT

TUESDAY APRIL 24 
CHAMPIONSHIP SHIELD
Peterborough v Ipswich – OFF

PETERBOROUGH bosses have taken an early decision to postpone Tuesday’s Championship Shield clash with Ipswich.
The club have acted on of the advice of several weather forecasts, which all indicate that persistent rain is expected during the afternoon and evening.
They have therefore called the meeting off to prevent inconvenience for all parties.
A new date for the match, which is still a significant one for the Panthers, is to be confirmed.
Although Lakeside wrapped up top spot in the Southern group with their 45-44 win at Ipswich on Saturday, the semi-final place for the best group runners-up could still be available for the Panthers if they defeat the Witches in the re-staging.

ENDS

spons-strip_peterborough_pr.jpg

Not that i was going to this or that i live in Peterborough but im in Chelmsford and we have had 5 days including today of sunshine im a little bit surprised that this is off.

How long is Peterborough to Ipswich and hour and a half? 

I fully understand that we have had those weeks of awful weather so meetings were cancelled in advance but this seems a bit strange

Gavan the forecast is now for persistent rain from around midday tomorrow right through til Wednesday morning

The band of rain is now so widespread there is little or no chance of it bypassing the Showground

Perfectly sensible decision

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Not that i was going to this or that i live in Peterborough but im in Chelmsford and we have had 5 days including today of sunshine im a little bit surprised that this is off.

How long is Peterborough to Ipswich and hour and a half? 

I fully understand that we have had those weeks of awful weather so meetings were cancelled in advance but this seems a bit strange

Not if you look at the forecasts as they are today. It's not rocket science although Sod's Law it blows over or never gets here!

Edited by Crump99

I thought it was a bit premature too as there is only a 50% chance of rain according to BBC..normally they at least wait until the day itself and then review it.

Seems to be the norm this season to panic & cancel early..very early in some cases.

33 minutes ago, Lukas said:

I thought it was a bit premature too as there is only a 50% chance of rain according to BBC..normally they at least wait until the day itself and then review it.

Met Office Peterborough says something quite different so if they go by that or have a potentially more accurate forecast then why wait. Damned if you do and damned if you don't really.

2 hours ago, Icicle said:

Seems to be the norm this season to panic & cancel early..very early in some cases.

It's called realism when you are paying the bills.

• Like 3

Just pleased it was called off early rather than last minute. Sincerely hope the actual weather justifies the decision. If not accusations from the anti Peterborough brigade  will claim it was due to concerns re crowd level.

while it is a catch 22 situation for Promotion, fans will start taking the same view when looking at the weather and arrange something else assuming another  cancellation if it looks like dodgy forecast,hence lower attendances if forecast changes.Too easy to call off nowadays.IMO.

19 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Just pleased it was called off early rather than last minute. Sincerely hope the actual weather justifies the decision. If not accusations from the anti Peterborough brigade  will claim it was due to concerns re crowd level.

It does.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Been ☔️ no since midday so it was the right call

Was raining in the wind when I went to work at 9:40 so just gone to forecast which it hasn't done much of for the last 6 months. Sunday looks fine Dick, suggest that to all parties :)