British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bandits4eva

Berwick vs Newcastle 31/03/18 1st Leg TTT

5 hours ago, StevePark said:

Meeting OFF 

So much for covers...

An uncharacteristically uncharitable post, Steve.     

In all probability the covers WOULD have worked tonight, if there is no more precipitation. 

But car-park is sodden and the tractors would still have been pulling cars out the mud at midnight. 

The temperature this evening won't get above 2C and there can be no pleasure in standing or sitting in that, with every possibility of snow or sleet coming in, and a bitter nor'easterly wind whipping around. 

We all want to have speedway on, but the actual track isn't the only concern for a promotion to bear in mind.   

And as has been said, if you put covers down nine times and save eight of the meetings at around £2K a time - you're doing it right! 

• Like 3

dont buy covers , just move the season start date back a good month or so . with less meetings , it will become a shorts n t shirt sport . easy .then it will become a part time sport and anyone who wants to ride speedway will have to have a job to fund it . 

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

An uncharacteristically uncharitable post, Steve.     

In all probability the covers WOULD have worked tonight, if there is no more precipitation. 

But car-park is sodden and the tractors would still have been pulling cars out the mud at midnight. 

The temperature this evening won't get above 2C and there can be no pleasure in standing or sitting in that, with every possibility of snow or sleet coming in, and a bitter nor'easterly wind whipping around. 

We all want to have speedway on, but the actual track isn't the only concern for a promotion to bear in mind.   

And as has been said, if you put covers down nine times and save eight of the meetings at around £2K a time - you're doing it right! 

While I agree with most of your points regarding calling off this meeting, I have attend Berwick regularly since it opened and I yet to see any problems regarding cars having to be pulled out with tractors! It has been muddy but it's not a difficult place to get out off IMO .

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

While I agree with most of your points regarding calling off this meeting, I have attend Berwick regularly since it opened and I yet to see any problems regarding cars having to be pulled out with tractors! It has been muddy but it's not a difficult place to get out off IMO .

The season opener last year there was five or six cars towed out the car park by one of the tractors, on Thursday past after the practice there was a car and a motor home had to be pushed out 

1 minute ago, Heedthebaw said:

The season opener last year there was five or six cars towed out the car park by one of the tractors, on Thursday past after the practice there was a car and a motor home had to be pushed out 

Driving lessons might be the answer to their problems

Haha, you could be right.   I walked down the car park with my dog earlier and it is very very soft in places

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Shame really then, the tractor drivers could have made a fortune.

I do not want them towing my Bentley in case they damage it lol

41 minutes ago, soupy said:

I do not want them towing my Bentley in case they damage it lol

Well, try not to get it stuck in the mud ;)

1 hour ago, Heedthebaw said:

?? I was at opening meeting last season and the weather was lovely.. If you look on updates site for last years opener the Texter says “it’s a glorious March evening” 

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

?? I was at opening meeting last season and the weather was lovely.. If you look on updates site for last years opener the Texter says “it’s a glorious March evening” 

It rained all day at the opening meeting last year, only stopping at tea time. I remember getting soaked watching the football in the afternoon. Covers saved the day last year.

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

I thought the same as Heedthebaw?

I thought the covers saved the first meeting.  Was the meeting not abandoned before the semi and final?

Think there was a heavy shower during heat 17 or so, there was a tractor break and the riders decided to go on. Then after heat 20 there was another heavy shower and the meeting was called? 

Was possibly the season before I am thinking about.

It was the opening meeting of 2016 (against Redcar) that was saved -- absolutely -- by covers, but left vehicles stranded in car-park.

The same match had been rained off the week before about 6.15  without turnstiles being opened, and people might have been stranded that night as well.

The really big operation was after the first FIM meeting in 2012, when at least twenty vehicles were bogged down, perhaps because it was a huge crowd and people unfamiliar with the car-park had ventured into parts they shouldn't oughter have!

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 1

2017 second meeting was a draw v Newcastle

Edited by soupy
Put first meeting in originally