British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

How many fixtures run over Easter?

Apart from crowd levels I think one of the things that actually was better in the 'good old days' was Speedway starting on Good Friday and finishing in mid September.

March and October are too prone to bad weather for Speedway in my opinion and perhaps a shorter season would encourage clubs to have a more regular schedule.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vince said:

Apart from crowd levels I think one of the things that actually was better in the 'good old days' was Speedway starting on Good Friday and finishing in mid September.

March and October are too prone to bad weather for Speedway in my opinion and perhaps a shorter season would encourage clubs to have a more regular schedule.

Good Friday was 30th March this year! :P:D

• Haha 1

And look at the weather :lol:

...I seem to recall that Len Silver at Hackney used to open and close the season...15th March and 31st October give or take.

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...I seem to recall that Len Silver at Hackney used to open and close the season...15th March and 31st October give or take.

Often later than 31st October. It was as late as November 10th one season in the 70s, and a challenge at that if I remember right. In those days any track running fewer than 26 meetings a year was seen as being in trouble with 30+ being commonplace and expected. But then meetings made profits, even those open events that the modern day 'fan' sneers at. 

• Like 1