British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

Leicester Lions v Tru Plant Stars - Easter Monday - OFF

We are hoping to bring a minibus to this meeting BUT the weather looks dodgy, what a predicament!!! 

Any weather updates will be very welcome!! 

Edited by Trees

3 hours ago, Trees said:

We are hoping to bring a minibus to this meeting BUT the weather looks dodgy, what a predicament!!! 

Any weather updates will be very welcome!! 

If the forecast doesn't alter Trees I wouldn't even bother setting off. Looks awful.

Forecast poor for the second leg next Wednesday too. 

We've cancelled the minibus on the basis of the forecast, hate doing that but I think it's sensible.... 

• Like 3

Trees- I think you may have made the correct decision as seeing all the flooded fields  around Leicestershire this morning with more rain due today and a poor forecast for Monday I think an early decision may be made to prevent riders flying in 

• Like 1

This cup tie is very important to both clubs what with both having endured difficult seasons and trying to revive their fortunes, a win will be a big booster to the winners. Better to decide now to reschedule, and also avoid having to go in without a complete 1-7 from Lions point of view.

Dont think this meeting will go ahead or any more with the forcast for monday. What a wash out. Think with good weather  there would have been some big crowds??

After a long off period,  we are all waiting for the new season to start.   The Easter weekend has always been an ideal opportunity to hold home and away meetings, enabling good crowds the chance to do both meetings, but this appalling weather has sure put the mockers on that.   We never seem to get opportunity to do that with the re-arranged dates....       When Easter's are lost, more meetings are cancelled than any other time of the year,    Most clubs will be  playing catch-up for the whole season....  

Countries like Poland and Sweden  put their start dates back  till the weather improves.   Probably we ought to do the same....

• Like 1

I remember as many early Good Friday meetings where it has been t-shirt and sunglasses rather than rain and called off so simply delaying the start of the season isnt the solution IMO

Lets hope there is swift and efficient planning for all rearrangements - thats the more important issue

• Like 2

MEETING OFF

Problem is, with GB now playing third fiddle to Polish and Swedish leagues, GB only has a short time to be the main league before the others take over their places in the pecking order. So going straight into the league and cup programme late March/early April and playing roulette with the weather is almost forced upon GB, and it also provides pre-season practice for foreign riders as Leicester know only too well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I remember as many early Good Friday meetings where it has been t-shirt and sunglasses rather than rain and called off so simply delaying the start of the season isnt the solution IMO

True. I can remember being at Ipswich on a Good Friday and it was boiling hot. 

20 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Lets hope there is swift and efficient planning for all rearrangements - thats the more important issue

You and me both.   There is no easy answer. Some promoters will call meeting of at the thought of rain, not wanting to lose money from a poor crowd, and who can blame them .   Years ago when the bikes were slower and more rideable, it was possible to run wet meetings, but them days have long gone.  

I don't have the answers,  but we do need bigger crowds,  we needs good racetracks that ensure exciting racing,  then probably we could entice them old fans back  and hopefully new ones besides.  

Meetings called off,  don't do anyone any favours

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

Problem is, with GB now playing third fiddle to Polish and Swedish leagues, GB only has a short time to be the main league before the others take over their places in the pecking order. So going straight into the league and cup programme late March/early April and playing roulette with the weather is almost forced upon GB, and it also provides pre-season practice for foreign riders as Leicester know only too well. 

And the added issue with 'getting in early, whilst they can', and then not getting meetings on,  is that fixtures start to pile up so tracks end up running three times in seven days later in the year, which then creates reduced crowds due to the costs involved and the 'guestfests' that often get created...

As an overall business model, if you showed it to a bank manager for a loan to finance it, I would suggest not many would give you the cash..

• Like 1

So the more powerful bikes have brought little to the 21st century sport of speedway? Only to mean that meetings can't be run as they used to be - often in poorish  conditions, but still to decent sized crowd. Now that the crowd is on average 750 -1,000 no one can afford to let that drop by 30% - 50%. But speedway remains an outdoors "summer" sport and there has been no improvement in things like track covers ( except here and there ). One more bad summer it seems, could scupper speedway completely. What a pity we had not gone with ( or kept ) lower performance sealed engines. Is it too late for something like that? It could well come back to something like that in a few years. A different sport in some ways but one that the crowd base could afford.

• Like 1