British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How good was the racing at the Shay.?

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:50 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

I only managed to see a few meetings at The Shay but certainly remember the very high banking at both ends, rather like Coatbridge. 

Possibly a reason why Mick McKeon ended up there 

Went to the shay lots of times following Belle Vue in the 70's and 80's and can't say I enjoyed many visits there...you got absolutely showered with Shale on the bends..much more than anywhere else...the loose grey stuff they used...the racing was fast but I cannot remember much passing there in my visits although Peter Collins was invincible there for a long time...

I used to go regularly away locally  to see Belle Vue back then and loved Sheffield, Cradley and Coventry but The Shay was never a favourite track for me

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 11:25 PM, falcace said:

Again an almost identical experience to me. We must have crossed paths in those days.

Beating Kenny at the Shay was a really big deal. I know my favourite - Mort - never managed it and I do recall PC getting the better of him once. The move to the Shay made sense for Larry Ross. He was past his best when he left the Aces, but he always went well at the Shay and I think he gave them 2-3 years of decent service. I have fond memories of the place, though it's probably quite rose-tinted as I don't think I rated the track at the time anywhere near Hyde Road and Sheffield for pure racing. But it was certainly a unique place.

Other memories for me are Mort bouncing off the fence and shooting past Ian Cartwright, PC winning the Norther nRiders there on a sunny Sunday afternoon in 84 and a great end of season firework display with an illuminated elephant at the end of the 81 season.

I was at that meeting as well, I think we have a photo somewhere of PC watching the racing from a small way up the football floodlight racking next to the pits!! I wasn't there in 1981, but I definitely remember the illuminated elephant from the last meetings of 1977 and 1978!  The 1977 one was my first ever away meeting, it was a 4TT, but not in the usual format, it featured 2 riders from 2 teams eg Sheffield v Halifax in one, BV v Hull in another, but they all raced each other in the end, if that makes sense.  My novice brain thought that was the way all 4TT worked!!

I seemed to go to more individual meetings there eg Dews Trophy,  than anything else, and went more times when Kenny Carter wasn't world class, so to speak, but a youngster making his way up.  So him being beaten there wasn't the big thing for me that it was in his later seasons there. 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, nw42 said:

No idea who the announcer was but I can shut my eyes and hear him clear as day, proper broad Yorkshire accent, funny how things stick with you.

The late, great, Doug Adams. 

I visited the shay a few times and seem to remember Eric boothroyd ,the promoter doing a cartwheels at the starting gate

2 hours ago, Thornaby48 said:

I visited the shay a few times and seem to remember Eric boothroyd ,the promoter doing a cartwheels at the starting gate

That must have been a sight to behold. :D

Went to the Shay a few times during mid 60's to early 70's. When you walk into the stadium and take your first look at the steeped bend s it was a "whooo! look at that" and when you saw the races is what another "Whoo, look at that".  I remember seeing a Polish team (cant remember whether a national team or a league team)  Can remember Pogozelski and Edmund Migos. Pogo was a very tall rider whilst Edmund was a lot shorter.  They loved the track, cant remember who won, but the Poles gave it a good go.

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Went to the Shay a few times during mid 60's to early 70's. When you walk into the stadium and take your first look at the steeped bend s it was a "whooo! look at that" and when you saw the races is what another "Whoo, look at that".  I remember seeing a Polish team (cant remember whether a national team or a league team)  Can remember Pogozelski and Edmund Migos. Pogo was a very tall rider whilst Edmund was a lot shorter.  They loved the track, cant remember who won, but the Poles gave it a good go.

Probably the 4th Test in 1967, which the Poles won 55-53.  Eric Boocock scored an 18 point max, Pogo was joint top scorer for Poland with 14 (as was Toni Woryna), and Migos picked up 6+4 from the reserve berth.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Probably the 4th Test in 1967, which the Poles won 55-53.  Eric Boocock scored an 18 point max, Pogo was joint top scorer for Poland with 14 (as was Toni Woryna), and Migos picked up 6+4 from the reserve berth.

Steve

You either have a very good memory, or you keep all the programs.  Well done

20 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You either have a very good memory, or you keep all the programs.  Well done

I do have a good memory, but it's a lot easier than that!  We all know about the Speedway Researcher website, but for things like things, Brian Collins' International Speedway site is also incredible.  For those who aren't familiar with the site, it is based on official international competitions, which includes Test Matches!

Steve

Not sure if this is the correct thread or if it's been posted elsewhree but found this on facebook........

"Positive negotiations are currently well advanced to bring speedway back to West Yorkshire for the first time since 1997.
Issues such as the track, perimeter fencing and intended pit area have been scrutinised and agreed upon, with professional guidance and no structural limitations remain preventing the sport being re-born locally.
Though the track will be to FIM standard, the new team is envisaged to compete initially at National League level and race as the YORKSHIRE DUKES!"

35269608_10156356683356635_4193951726782382080_n.jpg