British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Tru Plant Stars v Leicester Lions: KO Cup Wed 4th April

Common sense, everyone knows where they stand and we can all try again on a better evening.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

Well that isn’t what we all wanted to hear but it’s far better to call off now than having a repeat of problems of the past - so we’ll done for making a early decision. 

That's got me out of a tight spot, as it's my 54th Wedding Anniversary that day, and I'll be back in my wife's good books now, by not going out and leaving her.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 5 FURROW said:

Well Haza is right blade the track and it won’t start till 9ish some of us have to go to work the next day  and are not prepared to throw good money at a poor situation maybe you are 

4 hours ago, semion said:

Yep I’m with Haza.  For  18 notes I at least want the chance of being entertained with decent racing.  Not watch Buster take off tones of slope with riders then working out if they fancy it or not.,  I guess I’m not as committed as the likes of Trees. If committed is the word. :rolleyes:

We know, heard it 100s times before!! zzzzzzz

Weather should improve next weekend :D

20 minutes ago, Trees said:

20 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yea I’m feeling the same with some of your comments zzzzz  

Edited by Haza

Haza, I don't know what you want the club to do to make you feel wanted. We have all read your negative comments on here. At least Trees is doing something positive with the supporters club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrss said:

Haza, I don't know what you want the club to do to make you feel wanted. We have all read your negative comments on here. At least Trees is doing something positive with the supporters club.

I think the problem is Trees never has anything even slightly negative to say about the club. Even the most ardent supporter cannot believe it's perfect so this leads to folk assuming Trees lives in a slightly unreal world when it comes to the Stars.

Having said that I have nothing but the greatest respect for Trees and all her work for the supporters club. Knowing her as I do I'm sure she puts far more hours into it than most of us think possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

That's got me out of a tight spot, as it's my 54th Wedding Anniversary that day, and I'll be back in my wife's good books now, by not going out and leaving her.

Don't tell your wife it's been called off and that you've chosen her instead of speedway. You'll  really be in her good books then :-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

I think the problem is Trees never has anything even slightly negative to say about the club. Even the most ardent supporter cannot believe it's perfect so this leads to folk assuming Trees lives in a slightly unreal world when it comes to the Stars.

Having said that I have nothing but the greatest respect for Trees and all her work for the supporters club. Knowing her as I do I'm sure she puts far more hours into it than most of us think possible.

I too admire Tress for her blind faith in all things King’s Lynn. However it wasn’t always that way  as I recall.  Still ain’t it great that we ain’t all the same.  

Sorry Trees that it has become rather repetitive for you, but maybe you should look a little closer to home with those comments

4 hours ago, mrss said:

I thank the club for making an early decision on Wednesday I’d have thought that was probably positive? though I’d sooner the sun was shinning and the meeting was on probably another positive? 

Anyway this Wednesday is off let’s look forward to week Wednesday when hopefully we shall have much better weather and have a great opening meeting. 

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

When this meeting was called of on Monday, my initial thoughts were,  That's abit early.  giving me the impression, they want it to be cancelled.    If we are going to cancel meetings  days before the event, we have to ask the question 'what's the point'.   Yesterday was a good drying day,   today is planned the same,    If we continue to follow this procedure of cancelling meeting on a whim, then we leave ourselves open for another fiasco like last year when some clubs were doing 3  and 4 meetings in a week. just to get the fixture in.   We wont have that luxury this year with only selected race nights..

It may well turn out to be the right decision, it may not.   Probably, although it is not planned,  it may rain tea time and the meeting would have had to be cancelled ,    but lets wait until the reason is evident rather than what might be.    I'm sure getting a weather forecast for the next 3 hours is far more accurate than one asking for the next 3 days away...  Cancelling a meeting in the afternoon of the event is acceptable and would alleviate most people travelling.    Cancelling a meeting 3 days earlier leaves a bad taste in your mouth, especially when it turns out it could have been run anyway, similar to those last year.

It was dry enough last night to run a meeting,    tonight looks  to be about the same.     I started this thread knowing how wet is has been,   but looking at a few local forecasts I could see  a  window of clear weather ahead and thinking there was a chance this meeting would be on,  but in truth  it was doomed from the start.   This meeting was never going to happen........   whatever the weather....

And we wonder why people lose interest in the sport.......

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, g13webb said:

When this meeting was called of on Monday, my initial thoughts were,  That's abit early.  giving me the impression, they want it to be cancelled.    If we are going to cancel meetings  days before the event, we have to ask the question 'what's the point'.   Yesterday was a good drying day,   today is planned the same,    If we continue to follow this procedure of cancelling meeting on a whim, then we leave ourselves open for another fiasco like last year when some clubs were doing 3  and 4 meetings in a week. just to get the fixture in.   We wont have that luxury this year with only selected race nights..

It may well turn out to be the right decision, it may not.   Probably, although it is not planned,  it may rain tea time and the meeting would have had to be cancelled ,    but lets wait until the reason is evident rather than what might be.    I'm sure getting a weather forecast for the next 3 hours is far more accurate than one asking for the next 3 days away...  Cancelling a meeting in the afternoon of the event is acceptable and would alleviate most people travelling.    Cancelling a meeting 3 days earlier leaves a bad taste in your mouth, especially when it turns out it could have been run anyway, similar to those last year.

It was dry enough last night to run a meeting,    tonight looks  to be about the same.     I started this thread knowing how wet is has been,   but looking at a few local forecasts I could see  a  window of clear weather ahead and thinking there was a chance this meeting would be on,  but in truth  it was doomed from the start.   This meeting was never going to happen........   whatever the weather....

And we wonder why people lose interest in the sport.......

The even bigger fiasco is to have a repeat of meltdown Thursday and basically that’s the scenario we could have tonight - with many fans saying they will not go to meetings if there is any possibility of rain after being mugged in the past the attendance would definitely be down tonight - I was happy and still am happy that they made an early decision it’s better to call off as we have this time than get fans in the stadium on a wet night and then call it off all that does is pee everyone off . 

Edited by Haza

But that situation can always happen.   We could have sun out all day  and come  a meeting it rains and has to be cancelled.  that's  what happens in this country.     If we are to cancel meetings on the thought it might rain, then we need to have  inside stadiums, and that will never happen.  

My MAIN point was about cancelling meetings days in advance,  when it would be better to wait until the day of the event before adjudging whether to run or not.     Sods law says tonight is going to be fine and the meeting could have run,    but failing that,    It could have been announced this afternoon that the meeting was cancelled due to the weather  and everybody would have   understood..    

The water table is currently very high which means that ground is already very waterlogged and only a small amount of rain will just sit on top and not drain away. It's about sensible risk management

• Like 3

I appreciate and understand what you are saying GRW but I just think clubs nowadays can ill afford to risk incurring the cost of a rain off or a low crowd through dodgy weather. As improved as the weather has been over the last couple of days there is still an awful lot of water and saturation around and with heavy possibly thundery showers forecast for this afternoon it would only take one of those to knock things on the head even if the track could have been sorted for tonight. Factor into that the reluctance of modern day riders and machinery to get stuck in on a wet track and Liverpool v Man City on telly I think it was the only sensible decision really, as frustrating as it is. 

• Like 3

It is also possible that the car park is waterlogged, if not flooded. I'm not that much in favour of early call offs but think this one is justified.

• Like 2