British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Tru Plant Stars v Leicester Lions: KO Cup Wed 4th April

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

That's were we will have to differ.    Calling  a meeting  off days in advance  has no accreditation,   one that says you don't want the meeting to run.  If we are going to cancel every meeting when there is a chance of rain than we would be in trouble come the end of the season.     I have no problems with meetings being cancelled, but lets do it properly and be responsible.  Calling meetings off,  because of the weather ,  days in advance is neither..,

When the weather is the reason for the cancellation  lets do it on the day in question when the cause is obvious,  not on the pretence of what might be the case.  Lets be professional in making them decisions and broadcasting them using all the available media.    Its not hard to do things right.........

So you are quite happy for the promotion to pay out for airfares for both teams when given the appalling weather for the last few weeks all right minded people realise there is no hope of a decent meeting being staged.

Remember this isn't any run of the mill meeting, this was the first of the season where they hopefully would pull in a few newbies and therefore want to put on a good show. Not only that it was also the meting when quite a few regular fans were going to judge the quality of the 2018 season and the way meetings would be run. Bridges had to be rebuilt with those fans and a late call off or prolonged display of tractor driving skills would simply alienate many of them, possibly forever.

As I said, I'm no fan of early call offs, but given ALL the circumstances in this particular case, the right decision was made, both as regards fans and as a business. Later in the season and given better overall weather, I agree call offs should not be made until the day of the meeting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't :@

Don’t you criticise the club or even say they did the right thing -none critical reply won’t want to upset the club I guess . 

Edited by Haza

23 minutes ago, Haza said:

Don’t you criticise the club or even say they did the right thing -none critical reply won’t want to upset the club I guess . 

Just saying it how it is with the fans, there's always divided opinion. I would rather have a meeting called off if there's a bad forecast myself, even if there's showers around because there will always be fans put off and clubs can't afford to run without maximum amount of fans... 

7 hours ago, Star Lady said:

So you are quite happy for the promotion to pay out for airfares for both teams when given the appalling weather for the last few weeks all right minded people realise there is no hope of a decent meeting being staged.

Remember this isn't any run of the mill meeting, this was the first of the season where they hopefully would pull in a few newbies and therefore want to put on a good show. Not only that it was also the meting when quite a few regular fans were going to judge the quality of the 2018 season and the way meetings would be run. Bridges had to be rebuilt with those fans and a late call off or prolonged display of tractor driving skills would simply alienate many of them, possibly forever.

As I said, I'm no fan of early call offs, but given ALL the circumstances in this particular case, the right decision was made, both as regards fans and as a business. Later in the season and given better overall weather, I agree call offs should not be made until the day of the meeting.

Airfares paid ha ha !, 

25 minutes ago, DWP said:

Airfares paid ha ha !, 

I've always assumed that the promoter paid them in some form or other in the same way as they pay mileage or at least overseas riders points money is proportionately higher than UK riders. 

You'll be telling me next they don't pay mileage either :o

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Seems to me you are agreeing with me one minute , and  disagreeing the next.    It appears you want your cake and eat it.   All I have said is I disagree with early call off..  

I personally think every wet meeting should be cancelled, they're such a waste of time.      But in this country you can never guarantee the weather,  even in the summer.

17 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Seems to me you are agreeing with me one minute , and  disagreeing the next.    It appears you want your cake and eat it.   All I have said is I disagree with early call off..  

I personally think every wet meeting should be cancelled, they're such a waste of time.      But in this country you can never guarantee the weather,  even in the summer.

And all I've said is that in general I do agree with you but in this particular set of circumstances, which I explained,  I don't.

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

I've always assumed that the promoter paid them in some form or other in the same way as they pay mileage or at least overseas riders points money is proportionately higher than UK riders. 

You'll be telling me next they don't pay mileage either :o

Yes they do but it’s pitiful the amount paid. Next time you see me, I will let you know. 

14 hours ago, DWP said:

Airfares paid ha ha !, 

Why should they pay air fares I’ve been working for 38 years and I’ve had to find all my travel money out of my pocket they choose to work in different places 

23 hours ago, 5 FURROW said:

Why should they pay air fares I’ve been working for 38 years and I’ve had to find all my travel money out of my pocket they choose to work in different places 

And promoters choose to hire them knowing they will need to compensate them in some way for the travel costs? 

If someone wanted me to work for them a nighr a week in a different country id expect my travel costs to be covered, either directly or via the wages i received.

• Like 1