British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Tru Plant Stars v Leicester Lions: KO Cup Wed 4th April

Decision to call off early was correct imo.Just a bit peed that it always seems to happen when i'm not at work.

Oh well i will have to watch the footie tonight.Don't know who to support,if only both could go out this round:blink:

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I appreciate and understand what you are saying GRW but I just think clubs nowadays can ill afford to risk incurring the cost of a rain off or a low crowd through dodgy weather. As improved as the weather has been over the last couple of days there is still an awful lot of water and saturation around and with heavy possibly thundery showers forecast for this afternoon it would only take one of those to knock things on the head even if the track could have been sorted for tonight. Factor into that the reluctance of modern day riders and machinery to get stuck in on a wet track and Liverpool v Man City on telly I think it was the only sensible decision really, as frustrating as it is. 

I think that promoters have started to take notice of fans and riders. Fans have now become fed up with being mugged for part raced meetings, wasting fuel to not even start a meeting. Rider's less willing these days unless conditions are almost perfect. Also clubs can't afford to throw money at the riders expenses for a ran off. GRW may need to get use to early call off's in mordern Speedway, it may just be the right thing going forward but I also agree with his fear towards the end of the season. Will we have no choice but to put up with double headers due to a new early call off policy??

Edited by Daniel Smith

Summer sport is Speedway. Starting the season this early is always gonna put meetings at risk.  Even though it’s been an ok day think the damage will have been all done over the Easter weekend

Very wet evening in the Fakenham area, same in Lynn?

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

5 miles from track.Light rain on and off since 3.30 pm.Stopped now.  Enough to wet the roads,but not soak them.. 

37 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

31 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

5 miles from track.Light rain on and off since 3.30 pm.Stopped now.  Enough to wet the roads,but not soak them.. 

Either way the club made a wise decision calling it off when they did in my opinion. 

Lets look forward to next week now and get some better weather and get our home season under way with a win . 

• Like 1

Agree. The Walks was pretty flooded. when i passed there yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Haza said:

Either way the club made a wise decision calling it off when they did in my opinion. 

Lets look forward to next week now and get some better weather and get our home season under way with a win . 

Be carefull Haza ,you are beginning to sound positive.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Haza said:

That's were we will have to differ.    Calling  a meeting  off days in advance  has no accreditation,   one that says you don't want the meeting to run.  If we are going to cancel every meeting when there is a chance of rain than we would be in trouble come the end of the season.     I have no problems with meetings being cancelled, but lets do it properly and be responsible.  Calling meetings off,  because of the weather ,  days in advance is neither..,

When the weather is the reason for the cancellation  lets do it on the day in question when the cause is obvious,  not on the pretence of what might be the case.  Lets be professional in making them decisions and broadcasting them using all the available media.    Its not hard to do things right.........

In fairness Webbo as we get toward somewhere and hopefully warmer weather IF it does rain then there is a chance of a quick dry out.  In early April that is more unlikely. 

I think Buster called this one spot on. Speedway and rain ain’t a good mix

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

That's were we will have to differ.    Calling  a meeting  off days in advance  has no accreditation,   one that says you don't want the meeting to run.  If we are going to cancel every meeting when there is a chance of rain than we would be in trouble come the end of the season.     I have no problems with meetings being cancelled, but lets do it properly and be responsible.  Calling meetings off,  because of the weather ,  days in advance is neither..,

When the weather is the reason for the cancellation  lets do it on the day in question when the cause is obvious,  not on the pretence of what might be the case.  Lets be professional in making them decisions and broadcasting them using all the available media.    Its not hard to do things right.........

EVERY spectator counts I would imagine (in particular this year), given the lack of TV money and the demise of crowds over the past few years or so...

Simply even what may be called 'regulars' will often give it a miss if there is even the slightest chance of a meeting being called off/effected in quality, therefore saving expenditure has become something that needs doing, literally, 'at all cost'...

Not ideal I 100% agree, but this is where British Speedway has now placed itself through the operating and business model it has chosen to run with over the past 20 years or so...

Edited by mikebv

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

EVERY spectator counts I would imagine (in particular this year), given the lack of TV money and the demise of crowds over the past few years or so...

Simply even what may be called 'regulars' will often give it a miss if there is even the slightest chance of a meeting being called off/effected in quality, therefore saving expenditure has become something that needs doing, literally, 'at all cost'...

Not ideal I 100% agree, but this is where British Speedway has now placed itself through the operating and business model it has chosen to run with over the past 20 years of so...

Exactly. Speedway has changed, to a large extent it has itself to blame for the small crowds and its no longer a sport where riders can just battle through wet conditions to get a meeting on and people have continued on to that. Too many times we have stood around watching the track being sorted after a downpour and then seem the riders either go through the motions or refuse to ride, meetings trying to be run in those conditions don't do anybody any good whatsoever. I believe it's treating today's speedway customer best by giving them as much notice as possible that a meeting won't be on, and as screamer says the riders will appreciate it too.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not ideal I 100% agree, but this is where British Speedway has now placed itself through the operating and business model it has chosen to run with over the past 20 years of so...

Had it been on last night I’m one that definitely wouldn’t have turned up - the weather has to be 100% for me  not being mugged again by speedway promotions 

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I don't think it was postponed just because there was a chance of rain,it probably had more to do with the amount of rain we had in the week leading up to the match.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I don't think it was postponed just because there was a chance of rain,it probably had more to do with the amount of rain we had in the week leading up to the match.

This is exactly right and is the point many have been missing when commenting on the early call offs all around the country.

The weather on the day is almost irrelevant to decision with so much damage done in last few weeks

• Like 2