British Speedway Forum

so the bspa have given the rights to the national team for nothing?

my bad

53 minutes ago, full-throttle said:

my bad

No one knows what the sponsors paid.

Test matches could bring those international star riders back to the UK that don't ride in Your league anymore !

I guess there would be good crowds in the UK for any official Test Match when the Great British "Lions" take on the best of Poland, Sweden, Russia, or Denmark !  

Now that there are so few of the world's best rider in the Britsh Leagues, it would be the perfect time to bring back Test Matches ! Club Promoters must cope with the demands of the Great Britain Speedway Team, just like in any other serious sport.

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Test matches could bring those international star riders back to the UK that don't ride in Your league anymore !

I guess there would be good crowds in the UK for any official Test Match when the Great British "Lions" take on the best of Poland, Sweden, Russia, or Denmark !  

Now that there are so few of the world's best rider in the Britsh Leagues, it would be the perfect time to bring back Test Matches ! Club Promoters must cope with the demands of the Great Britain Speedway Team, just like in any other serious sport.

It was all going so well, and then you compared British Speedway to a serious sport...never mind :D

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, full-throttle said:

my bad

Rosco has alluded to how the BSPA needed to franchise the team, due to the loss of TV money. This would suggest that VXR paid very little for the rights.

Similarly, if the BPSA wanted to maximise value they would have had a much more publicised bidding processes. The fact that there didn't seem to be any mention of this until after the franchise was awarded suggests the BSPA were keen to get rid before they incurred any costs for 2018.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, MattK said:

Where do you get "hundreds of thousands" from?

I think people are reading too much into this. For me, if VXR can professionally market TeamGB (or whatever they are called) to sponsored and ensure the team is properly funded they have done a good job. The value of test matches in an era when the top riders race in all major leagues seems needless.

Whilst I agree that the additional pull they would hopefully have in increasing sponsorship and funding would be a job well done, in my mind test matches are a necessity to progress.

Top riders do race in major leagues - Woffy and Lambert, how will others get experience. Cook doesn't look as though he will be getting too many chances based on his performance yesterday and the comments about it. The Worralls have struggled as well. The importance will be who would fill the reserve births, getting the likes of Bewley/Clegg/Wajtknecht out there on 'proper tracks'  that would be used on the world stage to aid their progression.

Just having 1 or 2 decent riders wont get GB anywhere as we've seen in the last 15 seasons! Poland could pick any combination of around 12/13 riders for this new world cup thing and still be favourites, Denmark could pick from 5/6 and Russia the same. Gb have got 2 and only 1 of those is really world class.

So what this basically boils down to is an admission of failure by the speedway establishment, that they can't run a GB team competitively, for a toffee. There's no money coming in from TV, Terry Russell's SloSport International has failed to get any nationwide sponsorship.The ideas that Rob Lyon, Jonathan Chapman and Tai Woffinden had were far too radical over the years for the old fuddy-duddies to get their heads around. The SCB/BSPA can't afford it and no-one from within is bothered any more.  Best just to let someone else have a go, give them the rights, let them take the risks, and see how they overcome the obstacles that the BSPA throw in the way when there's a fixture conflict between club and country at some point in the future.

And who are VXR anyway? I thought it was a sporty Vauxhall car of some kind.

• Like 1

I was going to say it would likely be Worrall/Cook/Lambert at Belle Vue & Woffinden/Cook/Lambert at Wroclaw but  Worralls injury has scuppered that idea.

8 hours ago, Noodles said:

I was going to say it would likely be Worrall/Cook/Lambert at Belle Vue & Woffinden/Cook/Lambert at Wroclaw but  Worralls injury has scuppered that idea.

I thought I had read that the named riders could not change between rounds so to include Woffy in Poland he would have to ride at Belle Vue too

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I thought I had read that the named riders could not change between rounds so to include Woffy in Poland he would have to ride at Belle Vue too

Correct.

14 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Thanks, I didn't know that

Tai Woffinden released the news at his talk-in at Berwick that this was going to happen and that he was extremely pleased about it and was involved with it so I would say once Rosco is gone Woffy will be back guys.

All the indications are that Rosco is staying on as manager.

On 05/04/2018 at 7:19 PM, DJC said:

Whilst I agree that the additional pull they would hopefully have in increasing sponsorship and funding would be a job well done, in my mind test matches are a necessity to progress.

Top riders do race in major leagues - Woffy and Lambert, how will others get experience. Cook doesn't look as though he will be getting too many chances based on his performance yesterday and the comments about it. The Worralls have struggled as well. The importance will be who would fill the reserve births, getting the likes of Bewley/Clegg/Wajtknecht out there on 'proper tracks'  that would be used on the world stage to aid their progression.

Just having 1 or 2 decent riders wont get GB anywhere as we've seen in the last 15 seasons! Poland could pick any combination of around 12/13 riders for this new world cup thing and still be favourites, Denmark could pick from 5/6 and Russia the same. Gb have got 2 and only 1 of those is really world class.

Disagree.

Yes Dudek/zmarzlik/drabik are likely favourites. 

But im not sure janowski/pawlicki/smaktala would be.

And imo nothing between nki/nicki, doyle/holder, emil/laguta and tai/cook.

Britains 2nd choice pair would be at least as good as Russia's ( i would saycstronger) though someway short of denmark/australia/poland.

Only trouble is Nicki and Madsen won’t ride for one reason or the other,so Denmark are weakened.Might even be another who won’t ride.......