British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

Only trouble is Nicki and Madsen won’t ride for one reason or the other,so Denmark are weakened.Might even be another who won’t ride.......

How much longer will Hans Nielsen keep his job as Denmark team manager?

• Like 2

I think I’ve got to the point where I’m not really bothered about if this Great Britain venture works or not but one thing I am curious about is how is it going to be funded ? All the ideas talked about cost money and mr painter says it will be self funded ,so where is the income coming from ?

• Like 1

Could it be, after all the failed attempts to find it's location, that the Magic Money Tree has been found? I too can't see how this grand plan is going to  come off. It all sounds great but seems to have little or no substance. Fingers crossed that  the Great Britain Speedway Team is not only noticed more than it had been under it's other illegal moniker but that it manages some results which improve it's support. Are Test Matches with other countries really going to appear in the UK? In the crowded world speedway fixture list of today?

15 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think I’ve got to the point where I’m not really bothered about if this Great Britain venture works or not but one thing I am curious about is how is it going to be funded ? All the ideas talked about cost money and mr painter says it will be self funded ,so where is the income coming from ?

Must admit I thought the same thing. Race suits, bike covers, personal trainers, nutritionists, health care, rehabilitation, training camps, away test matches, hotels, travel etc Its all money going out without any money coming in. Another input other teams get is mechanical assistance, also not cheap

16 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

One or more of the following perhaps: Sponsorship, partnerships, cash wash, merchandise, fundraising events, crowd funding, murder mystery night, Team GBFC, corporate prawn sandwich meet 'n' greets?

Looking the best team of ultimate athletes with the best equipment isn’t going to mean jack unless you get results 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattK said:

One or more of the following perhaps: Sponsorship, partnerships, cash wash, merchandise, fundraising events, crowd funding, murder mystery night, Team GBFC, corporate prawn sandwich meet 'n' greets?

And 50/50 raffle

• Like 1

Another 2 pages in the speedway star today, it’s all bells and whistles and still no mention of how it’s going to be funded, they even talking about a high performance Center, where is the money coming from ?

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Another 2 pages in the speedway star today, it’s all bells and whistles and still no mention of how it’s going to be funded, they even talking about a high performance Center, where is the money coming from ?

I thought it an excellent, well balanced article.
Peter Oakes was able to fill two A4 pages with all the 'major coups' and superlative-packed prose so deftly.
Directing the Communication without any hint of a conflict of interest issue.

Well done, Granddad.

Edited by Grand Central

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

MY thoughts exactly so I did enquire further. Allegedly a whole package of major sponsorships are lined up which will fund the operation. I did wonder what exposure all these sponsors were going to get, given that at present just three riders will figure in two televised meetings (assuming GB get through at BV on June 5). Still more questions than answers.

Hi all,

It’s been interesting to read the comments in this thread and it’s good to see people talking about Great Britain - whether that’s with excitement or scepticism!

The most frequent question seems to be ‘where is the money come from?’ and while I’m not too sure why that’s of such concern to some, I want to try and answer the questions put forward to us. 

Great Britain Speedway Team has a group of commercial partners that are really enthusiastic about what we’re trying to do and they are 100% committed to it, and we’re extremely lucky that we are in a position to build something over the next five years thanks to their support. This isn’t a short term project, and success (or lack of) won’t be defined by one, two or even three years.

We are trying to change the culture of the national side, we want riders to feel a part of something special and to become the best speedway riders they can be. That’s why we have built, and are continuing to build, the best support team we can. We want our top riders to feel like elite athletes and have access to the same things that elite athletes in other sports do, from psychology, physiotherapy, recovery, sports massage to training programs and nutrition plans.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and we certainly don’t expect to become the best speedway nation in the world overnight, but we do have a plan in place with very achievable and realistic targets - we know for 100% certain that everything we have spoken about so far can be achieved.

We know that what really matters is what happens on the track, but to achieve that success we need to build a structure that gives British riders the best chance of reaching the top. Put simply - that’s what we are doing!

Happy to answer any questions, it’s really important for us that we get the fans behind the team and I want to be as open as possible - so fire away if you so wish!

Josh 

A backroom team of 10 is a lot of mouths to feed, even if some are only part-time. Must be some good sponsorship...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I often enjoy collecting hilarious examples of over-hyped millennial verbiage that can litter online forums. 

All the better if it combines evangelical zeal with plentiful platitudes and cliches that create total hogwash. 

I have a feeling that this thread is to become a treasure trove for such gems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshG said:

Hi all,

It’s been interesting to read the comments in this thread and it’s good to see people talking about Great Britain - whether that’s with excitement or scepticism!

The most frequent question seems to be ‘where is the money come from?’ and while I’m not too sure why that’s of such concern to some, I want to try and answer the questions put forward to us. 

Great Britain Speedway Team has a group of commercial partners that are really enthusiastic about what we’re trying to do and they are 100% committed to it, and we’re extremely lucky that we are in a position to build something over the next five years thanks to their support. This isn’t a short term project, and success (or lack of) won’t be defined by one, two or even three years.

We are trying to change the culture of the national side, we want riders to feel a part of something special and to become the best speedway riders they can be. That’s why we have built, and are continuing to build, the best support team we can. We want our top riders to feel like elite athletes and have access to the same things that elite athletes in other sports do, from psychology, physiotherapy, recovery, sports massage to training programs and nutrition plans.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and we certainly don’t expect to become the best speedway nation in the world overnight, but we do have a plan in place with very achievable and realistic targets - we know for 100% certain that everything we have spoken about so far can be achieved.

We know that what really matters is what happens on the track, but to achieve that success we need to build a structure that gives British riders the best chance of reaching the top. Put simply - that’s what we are doing!

Happy to answer any questions, it’s really important for us that we get the fans behind the team and I want to be as open as possible - so fire away if you so wish!

Josh 

I haven't seen the Speedway Star but wish you luck with the project.   Anyone who can get sponsorship into the sport has done well.    We have some good young talent and I hope you have Woffy involved too.

You will get negativity on here, I often wonder if some posters like the sport or prefer moaning.   Ignore people like Humphrey.  Hope you have some success.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

You will get negativity on here, I often wonder if some posters like the sport or prefer moaning.   Ignore people like Humphrey.  Hope you have some success.

Not sure what you’re construing as negative - it was merely an observation that the backroom team is going to be bigger than the riding team.

Of course some will believe in anything, regardless of the economic realities of the sport. ‘Where is the money is coming from’ is just about the most important question in anything in life, because that determines the sustainability of whatever you’re doing or planning to do.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1