British Speedway Forum
thommo34

New Godden Engine

I understand that Scott Nicholls rode the new Godden engine at Workington. As he seemingly put up a competitive performance it would seem to auger well for the future. Has anyone any comments to make?

He and Adam have used it so far, they’ve been helping Gary Drake with development since last year. Adam used it for this lakeside meetings . 10+2 away at Peterborough and  top scorer on points at the #RICO meeting. 

They will be using it more throughout the season. 

Edited by Jonny the spud
  • Like 5

SJH00034.jpg

• Like 7

Clearly a competitive engine from early showings. Anyone know what its USP is? Are Godden going for the extended reliability like the Gerhard claimed or just an alternative to the GM monopoly? 

Think the external design could / will need improving before it takes off. Make it all black? and ditch the biscuit tin lid timing cover and Drake may be on to a winner.

we don't need a faster engine, we need one thats half the price and half as much maintenance otherwise this is just another bomb in the arms race

14 minutes ago, ch958 said:

we don't need a faster engine, we need one thats half the price and half as much maintenance otherwise this is just another bomb in the arms race

Any new engines need to be as competitive as what is currently available otherwise they wont be touched. Half the maintenance has been attempted before and was found to be inaccurate and expensive. The other option you quoted does potentially make sense, make them cheap, make the parts cheap and almost create a throw away engine. Should a rider choose to maintain and service it regularly it will last a long time or run it until it blows and buy new again? 

Not saying any of the above apply to the new Godden as know very little about the intended concept.

If its a "Godden" engine.... who is Drake?  Is Don Godden no longer with us or retired from his engine business?

Adonis, where do you get your info from ie  offers nothing in terms of expense , reliability or service interval ??????

20 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Adonis, where do you get your info from ie  offers nothing in terms of expense , reliability or service interval ??????

He didn't it did. Perhaps if he had ended with a question mark, you might have understood his post better?

30 minutes ago, adonis said:

so what's the point of building this ,it's just another GM or Jawa , offers nothing in terms of expense , reliability or service interval , so pretty much like the rest of things in speedway , recycled old ideas with new names and no improvement 

Godden engines have been around since 1978. This hasn’t  just been thrown together, it’s a continuation of development since the mk1. 

I love  the fact that there’s certain people willing to shoot this down without knowing what they’re talking about. 

Youre online, go and find out some facts about what’s going on before coming on here and making yourself look stupid. 

• Like 5

Ha ha I’m not mr know it all. But then again I don’t come on here talking down stiff I either don’t know, or can’t be bothered to find out about. I’m waiting for your evidence of it being just another GM or Jawa.

Just  what does it offer in terms of expense or reliability?

What are the service intervals ? 

Go and ask Gary Drake  he’s a nice bloke, he’ll give you all the information you need then you won’t have to come on here and look like you’re just spouting off without any knowledge  

Thanks for saying Adam is a good kid, im sure if you went to him in the same manner you come on here with he’d be about as bothered as to what you think about him as I am  

• Like 1

i have zero mechanical knowledge but i do know that expenses need slashing. Most supporters don't give a fig about engines, they just want to see good racing.

• Like 2