British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Leicester v Poole SGB Premiership A. 9/4/18

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Yes with this afternoon's rain it had no chance regardless. We will never know whether or not it would have gone ahead tonight if today had stayed dry.

Coventry's meetings are scheduled to run at 15.00 on a Sunday and Leicester's on Monday's at 19.30 . Do you not think the Leicester management would of let this arrangement be made if there was a possibility of the lions racing on a sub standard surface due to the bees using it the day before?  The track staff at Leicester are more than capable of getting their prep done. Nothing anyone can do about constant rain. 

Edited by Smoggy45

The Coventry meeting yesterday had no effect on the decision to postpone the Leicester vs Poole meeting tonight. The forecast has always been for constant rain in Leicester from lunchtime continuing all day which has proved accurate so correct decision.

I am sure most of the riders will be glad of the early decision too as although most will have still flown back into the U.K. this morning they can go straight to their U.K. bases to relax rather than travel all the way up to Leicester for the meeting to be called off 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Yes with this afternoon's rain it had no chance regardless. We will never know whether or not it would have gone ahead tonight if today had stayed dry.

Coventry's meetings are scheduled to run at 15.00 on a Sunday and Leicester's on Monday's at 19.30 . Do you not think the Leicester management would of let this arrangement be made if there was a possibility of the lions racing on a sub standard surface due to the bees using it the day before?  The track staff at Leicester are more than capable of getting their prep done. Nothing anyone can do about constant rain. 

• Like 1

I hope there isn't going to be any resentment from some fans about Coventry using the track. :neutral:  I support both teams so am glad I don't have so far to travel now as driving gets more painful. 

I can't imagine how the Coventry match on Sunday would have affected track prep for Monday night - had the weather remained dry.

At Lakeside, we used to have the track ready for Monday night Sky Meetings - even after banger cars had been running on the Sunday afternoon/evening. That included building the fences and airbags up from scratch. And 5 hours of cars knocking 20 shades of the proverbial out of each other caused significantly more damage to the track than I'd imagine a National League meeting ever could.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smoggy45 said:

Well on the first point I have doubts about the Leicester management having any control over the Coventry operation as they're both tenants. If Leicester management is happy and confident to run the day after Coventry in terms of accepting the possibility of the track sometimes needing remedial work and preparing the track so that it's consistent for the Leicester riders, then all's well and fine.

4 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Well on the first point I have doubts about the Leicester management having any control over the Coventry operation as they're both tenants. If Leicester management is happy and confident to run the day after Coventry in terms of accepting the possibility of the track sometimes needing remedial work and preparing the track so that it's consistent for the Leicester riders, then all's well and fine.

I would think the cooperation between both clubs is paramount - Coventry's only control would that the track is available for them on Sundays where a meeting is scheduled.  Track staff personal are the same for both clubs.