British Speedway Forum
waco

Lakeside v Peterborough frid 6th april 8 pm CS

Lambert should be doing better at reserve or has the captain syndrome struck him now

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Lambert should be doing better at reserve or has the captain syndrome struck him now

Agree

34 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Nicholls is picking up plenty of second places but can't buy a win at the minute. It'll come I'm sure.

MPT and the reserves let us down scoring wise tonight but it was much closer than many imagined it would be.

Petsonally don't get thw hype regarding this Lakeside team with a long tail.

What hype? Most people have us finishing from 4th to 8th

Lakeside won’t get beaten much at home, away from home will struggle. 

Was about what I expected tbh. Lambert needs to do better especially being our ‘trump’ card at reserve

37 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

It's early doors to judge any of your team especially away @ArenaEssex. If the Panthers can get a bit if momentum going with some good home wins I think your current team should be O.K. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

As a fellow Godden tester, is Ellis using his tonight or is it just Nicholls?  It looked slow last night at Foxhall, @ryehousefans had better hope he's aboard the GM for their matches.

Adam Ellis has ridden the Godden at both meetings at Arena so far this season.

2 hours ago, Flappy said:

Nicholls is picking up plenty of second places but can't buy a win at the minute. It'll come I'm sure.

MPT and the reserves let us down scoring wise tonight but it was much closer than many imagined it would be.

2 hours ago, Flappy said:

Scott was making hard work for himself by poor gating and had to come from the back every time. Poor gates are no good against the likes of Ellis, Morris and Lawson . Scott should have had a couple of wins as he looked fast enough , but was  too slow reaching the first bend. Looked very tired by Heat 13 and was riding defensively after that. 

I thought Peterboro looked a much better team on the track than they were on paper, and in a wide open league can probably fancy their chances. Ostergaard looked very good, probably the best I’ve seen him. Overall I thought they all rode pretty well and I enjoyed it. If this was a foretaste of what Championsip League is about then bring it on. 

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Scott was making hard work for himself by poor gating and had to come from the back every time. Poor gates are no good against the likes of Ellis, Morris and Lawson . Scott should have had a couple of wins as he looked fast enough , but was  too slow reaching the first bend. Looked very tired by Heat 13 and was riding defensively after that. 

I thought Peterboro looked a much better team on the track than they were on paper, and in a wide open league can probably fancy their chances. Ostergaard looked very good, probably the best I’ve seen him. Overall I thought they all rode pretty well and I enjoyed it. If this was a foretaste of what Championsip League is about then bring it on. 

Crowd wise, approx what do you think ?

How did the meeting run? start on time?!!!

out of 10,how many marks would you give the meeting?

Thanks in advance.

I thought the crowd looked good from where I was sitting but the meeting did seem to drag on a bit. It wasn’t one of the better meetings I’ve seen it was a bit gate and go with little passing with the close score keeping it a bit tense. Didn’t seem like there was much grip on the outside which hasn’t been the case in previous seasons. All the riders rode well except Bowtell and the Peterborough reserves who all struggled and Morris was in a class of his own.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

Crowd wise, approx what do you think ?

How did the meeting run? start on time?!!!

out of 10,how many marks would you give the meeting?

Thanks in advance.

Crowd is difficult to say in the dark, and I don’t know what to expect crowd wise atCL level. It was far, far better than the crowds at NL meetings and I guess slightly below average for the old EL but didn’t look bad to me. Started on time and I thought ran very smoothly with I think only two races stopped both when Bowtell fell off. 

I disagree with Liam, I thought there were some good races, perhaps because it was quite tense until the later stages and at one stage I thought the Panthers were going to win. Not a single 5-1 in the whole meeting shows there was some tenacious riding..

I would say 9/10 for a smooth running meeting and 7/10for racing . If they are all like this for the season It will be a decent season. All subjective of course.

I think the TR rule is a bit of a farce when a rider of Scott’s quality can replace a reserve like Tom Bacon not that it affected the result but it could have done. Cracking ride by Richard Lawson to win that race though. 

Nick Morris was a class above the rest. 

Edited by E I Addio
  • Thanks 1

Crowd wise I thought it was a little dissapointing for our first team event, maybe people are waiting for the league proper to start?

The meeting sort of started on time but they didn’t start the junior races until late so the notion of parade at 19:45 was completely off, the meeting had a few re runs but was still completed in a reasonable time.

Racing wise the track lacked any grip on the outside of the bends which made for some processional racing although heat thirteen was a belter and what you could certainly call “proper speedway”.

One thing which needs improving though is the sound system, its very rough and has too much base, it’s hard to hear what is being said in some interviews and the music is affected by it too but that is nothing that can’t be fixed, the overall presentation is a bit tired too and the music within is same old same old, I thought they were making waves about changing it up a bit?

Will give the meeting a score of 6.5 / 10 it wasn’t a bad meeting but there is room for improvement (not the riders)

• Thanks 1

Well that’s my first visit to Arena for quite a while and to be fair nothings changed.

It’s still very basic facilities and the track was it’s usual super slick.

The racing was generally poor with little genuine overtaking but interest was somewhat maintained because the Panthers managed to stay close until the latter few heats.

Morris was very quick out of the starts but even he couldn’t make any impression when outrapped by Ostergaard.

I don’t see many teams getting anything out of Lakeside but on the other side I don’t see them getting much on the road either.

Nicholls needs to sort his machinery out, his track craft is good but his trapping is awful.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Lambert's been riding ten years and still isn't better than a reserve! He should be at least a six pointer by now, but I don't think he ever will be. I've always thought he is too tall to make it to the top, but then some have done it, such as" Big Arthur" Browning. Teams always have to have good reserves, but Panthers look like they have three or four, and they need to up their game.

Lambert has never rode well at Arena, its not his type of track, he will have good meetings at home and on others I am sure but I think when you have been riding for as long as that, your level is what your level is.

Peterborough are a decent team, I think they have something there with Grondal, Lunna and Palm Toft in the engine room.

36 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Well that’s my first visit to Arena for quite a while and to be fair nothings changed.

It’s still very basic facilities and the track was it’s usual super slick.

The racing was generally poor with little genuine overtaking but interest was somewhat maintained because the Panthers managed to stay close until the latter few heats.

Morris was very quick out of the starts but even he couldn’t make any impression when outrapped by Ostergaard.

I don’t see many teams getting anything out of Lakeside but on the other side I don’t see them getting much on the road either.

Nicholls needs to sort his machinery out, his track craft is good but his trapping is awful.

No doubt based on their performance at your place!