British Speedway Forum
Cue Ball

Sheffield v Newcastle 05.04.18

The sun is bright, the sky is blue, I’m off to Owlerton tonight, what about you???

Can’t see anything other than a big home win, but hopefully there will be some decent racing along the way. Be good to see how Smith and Shanes get on, the former has stated that they are a stronger pairing than last year, not sure about that at the moment, but they probably have more potential for the future and will hopefully get better and better as the season goes on.

Looking forward to this one.

Had a bit of heavy rain lately so the track will be quite grippy i imagine.

Sheffield win and cant wait to see how Shanes takes to his new track.

Please see an update below regarding th half price offer from last season's match against Redcar which will noot be valid tonight

When Redcar Bears hit town on April 26, fans who hold entrance tickets from the meeting between the teams at the end of last season will be given admission for half price.

Tigers co-promoter Damien Bates said: “There were suggestions the half price offer was for the opening night, but because the Redcar meeting was far from satisfactory at the end of last season we wanted to give the opportunity for their travelling fans to take advantage of it.

“I don’t think anyone can argue with this decision, we believe it’s in the best interests of everyone

Be interesting to see how Newcastle do as a team, as not very strong on paper but you never know

SHEFFIELD: Kyle Howarth, Lasse Bjerre, Charles Wright, Todd Kurtz, James Shanes, Jack Smith,

Josh Bates R/R.
NEWCASTLE: Ludvig Lindgren, Stuart Robson, Lewis Rose, Matthew Wethers, Tero Aarnio, Carl Wilkinson, Ashley Morris.

Web site is not clear on the riding order.

10 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Be interesting to see how Newcastle do as a team, as not very strong on paper but you never know

I think they might run them close,,,

to the first bend ;)

• Haha 1

at the tapes is probably the closest we will be all night to a tiger

our better teams have often struggled at Sheffield ............  I will be surprised if we reach 30

I wonder if we are having team suits this year and whether they will wear them tonight or unveil them at the first official home match.

Guessing it will be: 1 Ludvig 2. Wethers 3. Rose 4. Aarnio 5. Robson 6. Wilkinson 7. Morris

We are notoriously rubbishe around Sheffield so not expecting much from this one.  Goooooo Diamonds :D

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

Nothing is won on paper!! But yes it will be interesting hopefully they surprise a load of people this season 

Well hear we go again, the start of another speedway season. It's clear blues skies and the track should be perfect. I can only see a Tigers win. It will be interesting how Shanes and Smith go. Howarth and Bjerre looked very good in Steadys meeting last Sunday, well on the pace against  the  premier boys. I think Wright will be very good around Owlerton once he gets dialed in to the track. Mr Stead will be just the guy to help all the new guy's with all the info on the best way around Owlerton. So come on you Tigers let's have another great season and all the riders stay safe whoever they ride for. utt.

• Like 1

Class of 2018 Tigers take to the track against the strength in depth Diamonds.

The sun is shining and the sky is blue ad there is no a cloud in sight.

Could well be our toughest test ever from the strength in depth Diamonds, could we see Mr Rowland and Mr Park leaving Sheffield doing a Geordie jig, anything is possible with a team that has strength in depth like the Diamonds.

Seriously the Diamonds have never had much form around Owlerton, as we have never done that well at Brough Park, so although not expecting a cricket score tonight I think it should be pretty comfortable win.

The rider I am most looking forward to seeing is James Shanes could well prove to be our secret weapon this season.  

This could be a cracking meeting Newcastle along with Berwick have been written off by most "experts" and tho' I can only see a win for the tigers. I expect a shock or two along the way.

1 hour ago, diamond@heart said:

I wonder if we are having team suits this year and whether they will wear them tonight or unveil them at the first official home match.

Guessing it will be: 1 Ludvig 2. Wethers 3. Rose 4. Aarnio 5. Robson 6. Wilkinson 7. Morris

We are notoriously rubbishe around Sheffield so not expecting much from this one.  Goooooo Diamonds :D

Try :-

Diamonds

1. Ludvig Lindgren 

2. Tero Aarnio 

3. Lewis Rose 

4. Matthew Wethers 

5. Stuart Robson 

6. Carl Wilkinson 

7. Ashley Morris 

Sheffield

1. Kyle Howarth (c). 

2. Todd Kurtz    

3. Charles Wright. 

4.Josh Bates R/R   

5. Lasse Bjerre  

6. Jack Smith 

7. James Shanes 

A comfortable win on the cards for the Tigers, anything over 30 points is a good result for Newcastle