British Speedway Forum

THIS week, under the direction of Editor Andrew Skeels and Art Editor Mick Smith, we start a process of a facelift for Speedway Star both in terms of presentation and content. 

• Like 4

Give a man power........ :D

• Like 1

I like the red top on the front cover; took me right back to the 60s. Could we have a black and white photo to go with it? Seriously, I do like the new style presentation.

• Like 2

Excellent revamp !!!

But could we have less space devoted to Grasstrack and European/Overseas news?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

I like the red top on the front cover; took me right back to the 60s. Could we have a black and white photo to go with it? Seriously, I do like the new style presentation.

My first thoughts as well... The cover is a bit so-so but looks really good on the inside. And not much to decrease from the amount of foreign and gt news...

45 minutes ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Excellent revamp !!!

I think you'll find they need the sales to grasstrack and overseas supporters.

Small price to pay for the survival of a magazine that, let's be honest, was dumped by a major publisher (IPC) and had to be rescued by the brave efforts and financial risk of its own editorial staff. With the sport collapsing in Britain they needed to do anything to prop sales up.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Excellent revamp !!!

I was never keen on the grass track pages but the situation has changed for me with Eastbourne having a number of riders who do the grass as well. It's good to catch up with their exploits and was delighted to read the lengthy feature a few weeks back on Charley Powell.

Conversely, when the Eagles were in the Elite League I was interested in the European speedway news because a lot of the names in those leagues rode in UK. That's not the case any more as the Eagles are in the NL.

Swings and roundabouts and I agree with Rob McCaffery – a small price to pay for the survival of the magazine.

Good luck Speedy Star with the new look.

I love the new look, it is very refreshing, and more interesting to read as it is now. Great work, Speedway Star !  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bavarian said:

I love the new look, it is very refreshing, and more interesting to read as it is now. Great work, Speedway Star !  :)

IT'S still a work in progress. Thanks for the positive comments. Just wish the potential audience was bigger

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT'S still a work in progress. Thanks for the positive comments. Just wish the potential audience was bigger

I havnt seen one for ages Phil, can barely move out of this house due to this rotten weather.. and the rain off's.  :angry: I dont know how you could make it more appealing Phil, its very difficult. When you take everything into consideration if you go to a meeting with entry programme travel and eats perhaps its the cost that puts people off ? , but its trying to drag in that wider audience who dont buy the star, even if its 2-3 times a season.

Edited by Starman2006

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I still think the Speedway Star is very good value and the start of the season issue is second to none a real nice front cover.

Yep the bumper issue is always good value Sid, i know they do it, but mid season track and team reviews pen pictures and mid  season stats  would be good, might help the sales and advertise the fact that a certain team will be in the following weeks star. And the British GP edition, but i do wish they would make more of it in the Star, maybe a middle [  fixed ] supliment type thing  this is our showpiece event.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1