British Speedway Forum

On 10/04/2018 at 8:26 AM, Paddi said:

I actually like the European and Overseas news. Keeps me up to date with results all in one place.

Absolutely agree! I find the coverage of the overseas scene first class. Thanks to the Star I can hold a half decent conversation about Finnish speedway! :wink:

And for those few people who don't want the grasstrack news (I am not among them) you should be grateful that you aren't buying it back in the 50's when it included pages of ice hockey (!) news. :shock:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lastword said:

Absolutely agree! I find the coverage of the overseas scene first class. Thanks to the Star I can hold a half decent conversation about Finnish speedway! :wink:

:approve:

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 2:20 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

YES he did

Well - I trust your knowledge - but I think he RARELY used flash - especially at Wimbledon. Someone told me he used to over expose when taking the picture - then under develop when making the neg (or the other way round) - and he probably played around with the printing. I always noticed the use of flash photography when the Lions went to Australia. Nowadays with better cameras and computer programs - my guess is a better shot could be obtained without flash...

Less Grasstrack etc - I have been a speedway fan for over 30 years and I have never attended a grass meeting and never will, different sport - ditch it! 

On 4/16/2018 at 8:15 PM, RedcarRacer said:

Less Grasstrack etc - I have been a speedway fan for over 30 years and I have never attended a grass meeting and never will, different sport - ditch it! 

If you’ve never attended one then you don’t know what you’re missing. 

Why not try one one and see ? 

• Like 3

On 16/04/2018 at 7:15 PM, RedcarRacer said:

As more then a few speedway riders have also successfully done grass track, and long track, this indicates there must be similarities between the sports. I you ever saw the likes of Peter Collins or Chris Morton on speedway tracks and got excited then I am pretty sure you would have loved them on the grass/ long track.

A wonderful tribute to Ivan Mauger in today's Star with great words by people who clearly knew and loved the man himself.

Made it very difficult to read this morning
But brilliantly put together by the whole team.

Looking forward to next week's issue which is promised to offer even more and, hopefully, by then the emotions of his death will be a little less raw for us all.

I particularly appreciated the chequered strap at top and bottom across the pages ... a great touch.

And I have to say the new style Star front page combined with the stunning 1970s photos of Ivan look just beautiful.

Thank you to all involved.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grand Central said:

A wonderful tribute to Ivan Mauger in today's Star with great words by people who clearly knew and loved the man himself.

Made it very difficult to read this morning
But brilliantly put together by the whole team.

Looking forward to next week's issue which is promised to offer even more and, hopefully, by then the emotions of his death will be a little less raw for us all.

I particularly appreciated the chequered strap at top and bottom across the pages ... a great touch.

And I have to say the new style Star front page combined with the stunning 1970s photos of Ivan look just beautiful.

Thank you to all involved.

THANK you...

I like the Star, to me it's been in a far better state than the sport for years. The improvements look good to me, on a purely personal level I would like more technical articles about the machines and tracks but realise most wouldn't. The balance at the moment is probably about right for the majority, few , if any, other minority sports get anything near as good as the Speedway Star.

Can't understand the gripes about too much Grasstrack or overseas coverage, it's not like you can't just flip past those pages if you have no interest and those who do have an interest appreciate it.

• Like 4

Just spotted last weeks star in tesco with Ivan on the front cover so thought I'd treat myself, must say I'm impressed with the new look and will be getting a copy tomorrow of this weeks. May even start getting it again on a weekly basis. Well done to everyone at the star

• Like 1

Saw a copy at Morrison's today with Ivan on the front and bought it purely for the articles on the great man.

It could help circulation no end if they always had a front cover with Ivan Mauger on.

This week's (enforced) step back in time  just reminds one of the 'samey' ness of modern days photos of modern day riders.
Contrasting sharply with the vivid richness in so many photos of the seventies stars; and the individuality of the riders depicted.

or is it just me ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It could help circulation no end if they always had a front cover with Ivan Mauger on.

This week's (enforced) step back in time  just reminds one of the 'samey' ness of modern days photos of modern day riders.
Contrasting sharply with the vivid richness in so many photos of the seventies stars; and the individuality of the riders depicted.

or is it just me ?

...having not bought a copy for a year or two having read the Ivan tributes I just flicked thru' the rest of the magazine and pictures of similarly styled riders looking the same didn't particularly inspire me. Individuality seems to be a thing of the past.

Are Tesco still carrying Speedway Star ? Two weeks on the trot now it's not been available in my local Tesco, I also know of another person who's newsagent didn't have last weeks copy