British Speedway Forum

15 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Are Tesco still carrying Speedway Star ? Two weeks on the trot now it's not been available in my local Tesco, I also know of another person who's newsagent didn't have last weeks copy 

YES, our biggest outlet. Where is your local Tesco. We have had some distribution issues of late. Last week 800 copies went 'missing.'

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YES, our biggest outlet. Where is your local Tesco. We have had some distribution issues of late. Last week 800 copies went 'missing.'

Galashiels , no copy last week, none today 

I be struggled to find it in Ashford for some time, think last time I bought one was from Asda back in June/July.

Am thinking of asking the mrs to get me subscription for Christmas. Be the first time I ve subscribed since I was in school mid 90s

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I be struggled to find it in Ashford for some time, think last time I bought one was from Asda back in June/July.

Am thinking of asking the mrs to get me subscription for Christmas. Be the first time I ve subscribed since I was in school mid 90s

IT will save you £36 a year and have it delivered to your door

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WILL enquire asap

GALASHIEL was one io the areas affected last week but seven copies were delivered to Tesco yesterday ...

• Like 1

Any chance of a face lift on the inside of the magazine now, given the outside has been attempted?

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

Any chance of a face lift on the inside of the magazine now, given the outside has been attempted?

WE are always looking to improve but, as ever, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I buy quite a few magazines and for value for money and content Speedway Star is as good as any magazine out there.  The pre season edition is magazine heaven .Its sad that the sport in the UK is floundering as Speedway Star deserves a larger readership .

• Like 1

In the past, I have been critical of Speedway Star....the improvements this year are much appreciated. Slicker, sharper and features run to proper lengths. Well done Speedway Star...can't wait for Thursdays these days to see what the magazine has in it and what it has to say (bit more of that Phillip Rising? After all, your reporters – and you and the whole editorial team – know the sport back to front).

Good read all round. 

Subscribe and yes it is good value for money plus it is delivered to your door and while it sometimes is a day late 90%+ of the time it arrives on a Thursday. Keeps you going through the winter with reports from Australia, Argentina and the Ice Speedway. it is a decent read. I wholeheartedly recommend it to the non readership fraternity.

Subscription is a no brainier ,even if you don’t want it during closed season just do 6 months.Value for money IMO.

Not read for a long time TBH, I found the last time I picked up a copy randomly from some shop I didn't expect to stock it the news was (by that point) old and more about club and BSI party lines press snippets, rather than it feeling like independent, thought provoking opinions that fans could relate to.  I think Pearson was in that edition, and one of many reasons I don't like his commentary is that he doesn't have a fan opinion, he's a talking/walking BSPA/BSI mouthpiece.  I also felt there was far too much grasstrack stuff which didn't interest me (I accept it will many).

Maybe it's nostalgia, back in the day when Long Eaton were around (shows how long ago I had a subscription), back then it felt relevant, and it felt (but maybe I am wrong) like there were opinions (not always in agreement, but that's fine), but generally it felt like fans were being represented. 

Obviously rider interviews have always been pretty good, with great images and that was still good in the last time I read a copy.

Not that I expect anybody to listen or change the content of the magazine, but I hope this is constructive feedback which you can use to guide you what this fan (and I guess some others too) might like to see in the magazine if I was buying on a regular basis.... Apologies if you do now do any of these.

• Less grasstrack (as mentioned above - but some may like)
  • Less of a focus on previous weeks results (internet means that's kind of not needed anymore), but more focus on what's actually going on at clubs/teams with interviews and editorial pieces.
  • Bigger feature on the Polish and Swedish scene. Not just results, but interviews and features to help us understand the scene over there. After all, it's where speedway is right now. Focus on a different team each week, team pictures, history of that club, how to get there if visiting, where to stay, transport links etc etc.
  • Historical look back at 70s, 80s, 90s looking at existing and defunct clubs. Interviews with stars of those era's.  I know Backtrack does that but as a fan who doesn't have a team anymore that would be relevant to me and encourage me to buy more frequent.
  • Technical features, maybe looking at different parts of a parts of bikes and types of bikes (maybe monthly if not weekly). That is one area where Kelvin's knowledge is fascinating on commentary. 
  • Rider and key people interviews are great, generally I always thought Star got them right mostly (depending who is interviewing), but should also be honest rather than bland PR pieces.
  • Weekly (or monthly) thought from editors on what the sport/British speedway is getting right and wrong and maybe a fans forum views to comment to ensure wide ranging thought provoking piece. 
  • Maybe regular features looking at behind the scenes (i.e. follow a busy rider for a week to see how they get from country to country, how they remain fit with so much travel.  How does a club prepare a track, How does BSI convert say Cardiff for a SGP etc, etc).

My own view is thought provoking, if controversial always makes for a great read.  (but not Piers Moron deliberate controversial comments for click bait.)

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1