British Speedway Forum

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Skidder1 said:

Mine is renewed and pleased that it will be posted shrink-wrapped by the new printers rather than the old brown envelope which never protected the mag from rain!!!

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

HOPE they are rain proof:t: Thanks for renewing...

I thought that system was opposed as being too dear.

22 hours ago, auntie doris said:

They wish for 25000. I recall Mr.Rising saying up to 20000 on a good week I.e. Cardiff GP.

If SS is saying a hundred new subscribers will make a big difference, I'm guessing circulation is now well below 10,000. I see posters are suggesting circa 18,000 watch speedway every week. Maybe a quarter (a third, at best) will buy SS. Do the math.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I thought that system was opposed as being too dear.

THINGS change ... now viable with new printers.

Excellent shrink-wrapped, dry and undamaged edition delivered on time this morning!!:t:

Awaiting mine in brown envelope, normally around 2pm. 

10 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Awaiting mine in brown envelope, normally around 2pm. 

No more brown envelopes - this is speedway after all!!!!!:rofl:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grand Central said:

But plastic replacing brown paper ... Clearly Greta's message didn't make it to Surbiton !

WRAPPING is 100% compostable 

• Like 5

I buy my copy from local shop find it good value at £3 like to support them as we live in a village it’s a bit like the sport use it or lose it. Personally would like to see a dedicated youth section as it’s one part of the sport that is buoyant. 3 page would be good on the down side think there’s to much emphasis on past results 

• Like 1

Today I quoted a Spar article on a local forum dated Oct 26th. Took a while to realise, that for the first time probably this year my Spar has been delivered on the week it's been released.

I'm at Tampere/Finland and if you lot dislike your Royal Mail our Posti has to be twice as bad nowadays. For the past 6 months I've been  getting my Spar on tuesdays and Wednesdays. But now something has happened and we're back!

For the new look I feel the paper has changed and I would have a meeting or two about the "sat level" of the overall look. Something not uncommon when a change of printers happens. You guys know what to do...:t:

42 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Today I quoted a Spar article on a local forum dated Oct 26th. Took a while to realise, that for the first time probably this year my Spar has been delivered on the week it's been released.

I'm at Tampere/Finland and if you lot dislike your Royal Mail our Posti has to be twice as bad nowadays. For the past 6 months I've been  getting my Spar on tuesdays and Wednesdays. But now something has happened and we're back!

For the new look I feel the paper has changed and I would have a meeting or two about the "sat level" of the overall look. Something not uncommon when a change of printers happens. You guys know what to do...:t:

DO we? The paper is different because SS is now printed on web offset machines rather than sheet fed. 

28 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DO we? The paper is different because SS is now printed on web offset machines rather than sheet fed. 

YOU do need a get-together between the editorial staff and the printers. I’d be HUGELY admired if the case was that I was the only one to see the ”problem”. It’s 100% subjective view and I feel the pics are too ”warm, dark and saturated”  .  Taking pictures during the meetings in the dark is a challenge, you have good people doing their best allaround for you. But when plain white starts to turn even a shade towards yellow in print, it’s about screen calibrations and differences with that between companies, new ones...

6 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

YOU do need a get-together between the editorial staff and the printers. I’d be HUGELY admired if the case was that I was the only one to see the ”problem”. It’s 100% subjective view and I feel the pics are too ”warm, dark and saturated”  .  Taking pictures during the meetings in the dark is a challenge, you have good people doing their best allaround for you. But when plain white starts to turn even a shade towards yellow in print, it’s about screen calibrations and differences with that between companies, new ones...

Is it down to the printer or the photographer ? Probably the printer if it is the same through the whole mag. Don’t get it, so can’t say. But remember the discussion about the new kid on the block and the accusation of bullying at the beginning of the season. And one of the things that came up was the over saturation of colour in his pics. Some loved it, some didn’t

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Is it down to the printer or the photographer ? Probably the printer if it is the same through the whole mag. Don’t get it, so can’t say. But remember the discussion about the new kid on the block and the accusation of bullying at the beginning of the season. And one of the things that came up was the over saturation of colour in his pics. Some loved it, some didn’t

As I see it and done it, the ”file/issue” is sent to the printers and they print it. Color scales are negotiated and agreed before hand. As I see it and would do it, make a set of drafts, see them, adjust them, approve them and go trough with production. Only needed once unless the printers re adjust their machinery. And I state again, it’s a subjective view!

Had a week off but beer tastes good again!