British Speedway Forum

16 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

In reply to HA. The Pastels were/are a Glasgow band who did sponsor David and still pop in to Ashfield/

I believe David used to travel with them like a roady for some considerable time, before retiring and then going to UNI.

• Like 1

I’m amazed that this week’s Speedway Star has no mention of the Dirt Bike weekend at Kings Lynn and even more disappointing is the total lack of recognition given to the guys who cycled from Mildenhall to Kings Lynn in support of the late Danny Ayres. The Star have really themselves down and I hope they see fit to rectify these shortcomings this week.

it could be that a story is planned for next week?

Think in the off season the magazine is largely completed pre weekend. Totally different during the season, of course

The magazine is still going strong and is still great value.My only gripe is can they stop glueing some of  the pages and stick to the two staples.?

10 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Surprised (but pleased), to see it on sale in a branch of WH Smiths yesterday.

I thought Smiths had long since stopped selling it.

Lots have stopped as have a few Tescos I've used before.

My local WHS high street one stopped but the branch at the railway station still stocks it..go figure 

26 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Lots have stopped as have a few Tescos I've used before.

My local WHS high street one stopped but the branch at the railway station still stocks it..go figure 

I found one at a rail station as well.

Will Coronavirus effect the publication as I can see sales figures dropping  alarmingly 

21 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Will Coronavirus effect the publication as I can see sales figures dropping  alarmingly 

Of course we are concerned not least because Tesco and Sainsbury are our biggest selling outlets. This is probably the biggest challenge we have faced. 

We can only suggest ask those who purchase their weekly copy at either a newsagent or a supermarket to consider a subscription. There is also a significant saving too.

• Like 3

My first post on the forum, being a long time lurker, but I'd like to pass on my appreciation to all involved at The Star for all the work they put in to create such a good magazine.

Being on a tight budget I can never seem to make the plunge on a subscription, so order my copy each week from the web site, and my thanks then to Dave for his sterling work, and attention too - dispatching one of the Christmas issues to me in advance of my order so I still got the mag in time. Much appreciated.

I imagine the current situation has thrown a considerable spanner in the works regarding upcoming issues and content therein, especially the pre season special. 

So to Phil and all at the Star - thank you for all your hard work, it is much appreciated.

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Of course we are concerned not least because Tesco and Sainsbury are our biggest selling outlets. This is probably the biggest challenge we have faced. 

We can only suggest ask those who purchase their weekly copy at either a newsagent or a supermarket to consider a subscription. There is also a significant saving too.

Tesco's and Sainsbury's are rushed off their feet. Punters need something to read whilst queuing to pay!

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

A couple of Tesco's and a Sainsbury's that previously stocked it no longer seem to.

Has there been a reduction in stores taking it?

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

A couple of Tesco's and a Sainsbury's that previously stocked it no longer seem to.

Although I get mine by subscription it is still available at my local Tesco.

11 hours ago, noaksey said:

NUMBER of sales at all branches are constantly reviewed by our distribution company - like all publications these days, they work on a sale or return basis. But if a branch isn't selling any or even enough of those stocked, Tesco will drop SS in favour of another magazine fighting for shelf space.

They are the rules which are tough for a minnow of a company like Pinegen, a small fish swimming in huge waters.