British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, hawks 1975 said:

Just received this week's edition Philip and full marks to the editorial staff already for producing such a great read.

I can only say to anyone not already subscribing, the mag is superbly put together and great value. 

As to content, perhaps ask the readers for ideas?

I actually emailed Andrew earlier this year a suggestion around getting a rider like Scott Nicholls to give us his views on each of the tracks in the top two divisions. My thought was that many fans never get to see a track at the other end of the country and would be interested in hearing a rider comparing tracks.

How about transcribing a conference call between 3 or 4 riders getting their opinions on a different subject every few weeks?

One thing I think the Star did miss out on was a suitable tribute to Andreas Jonsson when he announced his retirement. Bjarne Pedersen even got a front cover - I am sure a lot of Coventry and Lakeside fans in particular would love to see AJ treated similarly. A true racer and great guy for both tracks.

Finally, a shout out to Jeff Davies again for his covers - they are works of art! Crumpie in all his glory  this week.

Some good ideas, unsung heroes of tracks (volunteers), ex riders stories, fans stories, fan photos (amateurs), many have been done but just kicking a few ideas around.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hawks 1975 said:

Just received this week's edition Philip and full marks to the editorial staff already for producing such a great read.

I can only say to anyone not already subscribing, the mag is superbly put together and great value. 

As to content, perhaps ask the readers for ideas?

I actually emailed Andrew earlier this year a suggestion around getting a rider like Scott Nicholls to give us his views on each of the tracks in the top two divisions. My thought was that many fans never get to see a track at the other end of the country and would be interested in hearing a rider comparing tracks.

How about transcribing a conference call between 3 or 4 riders getting their opinions on a different subject every few weeks?

One thing I think the Star did miss out on was a suitable tribute to Andreas Jonsson when he announced his retirement. Bjarne Pedersen even got a front cover - I am sure a lot of Coventry and Lakeside fans in particular would love to see AJ treated similarly. A true racer and great guy for both tracks.

Finally, a shout out to Jeff Davies again for his covers - they are works of art! Crumpie in all his glory  this week.

WE were planning to get hold of Andreas Jonsson for an in-depth ‘farewell’ piece looking back on his career but we deliberately decided to delay it so that we could also get him to go through this year’s SGP field for the season preview issue, tying the two together. The farewell piece would have been in today’s edition, and Jonsson’s SGP preview would have been next week in the season preview. Obviously, present circumstances have totally wrecked our best paid plans! We can still do the farewell piece in the coming weeks though!

21 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I would much prefer electronic versions these days as I'm rarely in one place and I usually end-up with a pile of Backtracks when I do eventually get back to where they're delivered. But perhaps more pertinently for Retro Speedway, my subscription may expire in the meantime without me remembering, so there's a possible loss of cashflow because of that 

A recurring direct debit helps to keep absent-minded subscribers in check ;-) I've noticed many magazines outside the sport encouraging this. 

11 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

JUST to clarify, copies for subscriptions that started this week were mailed out this morning direct from our office. For the duration of the subscription, copies will be mailed direct from printers on a Wednesday.

WE realise that with no actual speedway taking place our editorial team have to work extra hard to provide content that is worthy of your money. We will do our best to weather what is undoubtedly the biggest storm Speedway Star has ever faced.

Thank you ...

Phil, Thanks to you and to your editorial staff, for the efforts in keeping going at this extremely challenging time.

The sport needs the Speedway Star to survive and we should support and help them to weather this serious storm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Speedtiger said:

Phil, Thanks to you and to your editorial staff, for the efforts in keeping going at this extremely challenging time.

The sport needs the Speedway Star to survive and we should support and help them to weather this serious storm. 

THANKS, much appreciated.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:02 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

copies for subscriptions that started this week were mailed out this morning direct from our office.............

My copy arrived today - thank you.

Edited by kitten2502
error

Mine usually comes on a Thursday, not had it yet so hoping it comes tomorrow!

I always recieve mine on a Thursday have done for years, recently its been mainly Friday, last week it was Saturday, the post has just been now and the star hasnt arrived, i see they are still producing it, well done, staying in all weekend will be even more boring without the star to read, oh well on with stripping the doors.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bellevueace said:

I always recieve mine on a Thursday have done for years, recently its been mainly Friday, last week it was Saturday, the post has just been now and the star hasnt arrived, i see they are still producing it, well done, staying in all weekend will be even more boring without the star to read, oh well on with stripping the doors.

SORRY that you haven't had your sub copy yet. Read today that Royal Mail are suffering from staff shortages and some deliveries maybe be haphazard. If no joy on Monday call 020-8335 1113 and Dave will send you a copy. 

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SORRY that you haven't had your sub copy yet. Read today that Royal Mail are suffering from staff shortages and some deliveries maybe be haphazard. If no joy on Monday call 020-8335 1113 and Dave will send you a copy. 

There are definite Royal Mail problems. I had a non-speedway monthly arrive nearly a week late. 

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Thanks Phil, not a problem, for once, if it dosent arrive Monday i can always get it locally otherwise i could end up with two copies.

My Star hasn't turned up so far here in Derbyshire. Would it be possible to switch a print subscription to a digital one?

3 hours ago, Chadster said:

My Star hasn't turned up so far here in Derbyshire. Would it be possible to switch a print subscription to a digital one?

WILL explore...

• Thanks 1