British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

It's nice to be contributing a weekly retro interview for our friends at Speedway Star. This week's Q&A is with former Denmark, Halifax and Belle Vue star Mike Lohmann.

We urge you all to subscribe to the Star at www.speedwaystar.net

Lohmann spread_tiny.jpg

Enjoyed your article on Martin Ashby -- some excellent insights into his character, which were very informative and enlightening. Looking forward to Mike Lohmann, who I don't know an awful lot about - no doubt I will soon. Just waiting on postman but, of course, no complaints --- good things come to those who wait, as my mother used to say.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Enjoyed your article on Martin Ashby -- some excellent insights into his character, which were very informative and enlightening. Looking forward to Mike Lohmann, who I don't know an awful lot about - no doubt I will soon. Just waiting on postman but, of course, no complaints --- good things come to those who wait, as my mother used to say.

I'm guessing that both (Martin Ashby & Mike Lohmann) of these articles originally appeared in "Backtrack"?

Now that the riders have given insights to tracks it might be interesting, to some, on how & why it is difficult to find to find the perfect set up.

The bikes are very similar so the biggest part is getting the right engine to suit the right rider on the right track.

We hear about off-set engines, long & short stroke, the different cams & flywheels used.

Just how does a rider set his bike up?

What changes are made during a meeting & why? Jet sizes, warm or cold weather conditions, slick, greasy or heavy(lots of shale or ploughed up) racing surface, changing sprocket sizes, changing timing.

The supporters might get a better idea of what the riders & mechanics do during a meeting & why, it seems, is a difficult sport. 

• Like 1

I've taken the Speedway Star ever since I first "discovered" speedway in 1953, and have had a subscription for several years now. I renewed this  subscription a fortnight ago, but I rather like the sound of the digital version and just wonder whether it is possible to switch to this?

Well done to all concerned for producing a consistently interesting and informative magazine.

13 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

I've taken the Speedway Star ever since I first "discovered" speedway in 1953, and have had a subscription for several years now. I renewed this  subscription a fortnight ago, but I rather like the sound of the digital version and just wonder whether it is possible to switch to this?

Well done to all concerned for producing a consistently interesting and informative magazine.

YOU can switch but the only process that works is ... you take out a digital sub and then call Dave on 020-83351113 to cancel your print one. He will arrange a refund. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:50 PM, steve roberts said:

I'm guessing that both (Martin Ashby & Mike Lohmann) of these articles originally appeared in "Backtrack"?

Different versions and extracts from the timeless originals published years ago . . . but thousands of Star readers obviously won't have read them previously,

• Like 2

I've always picked up the star from shops, but got my first one on subscription last week. There is no speedway, but that was the best issue in ages. Well done to you all.

12 hours ago, Bailays Hat said:

I've always picked up the star from shops, but got my first one on subscription last week. There is no speedway, but that was the best issue in ages. Well done to you all.

THANKS. No credit to me I might add but editorially Andrew Skeels and many contributors are doing a great job while Art Editor Mick Smith puts it all together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS. No credit to me I might add but editorially Andrew Skeels and many contributors are doing a great job while Art Editor Mick Smith puts it all together.

Front covers have been great for quite a few months now.

24 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

This weeks is the best for some time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Star has always been a big part of my life. Even more so now. In fact it is doing me a favour, I know when it is Thursday. Cannot tell what day it is at the moment.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, noaksey said:

This weeks is the best for some time 

Excellent edition...

It's a true credit to the sport..

• Like 2

Brilliant issue...if only speedway was run as well as the SS the sport would be in a far better shape.

• Like 4

No question.................... got to keep supporting the Star!

My immediate family have three subscriptions and can't imagine life without the Star.

Keep up the excellent work!

• Like 2

If Speedway is a Non Event for season 2020 will the SS continue to print or will it be mothballed for say 6 months ?