British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, semion said:

If Speedway is a Non Event for season 2020 will the SS continue to print or will it be mothballed for say 6 months ?

CANNOT answer that right now but, of course, it is a possibility. Retail sales (Newsagents, supermarkets, etc) have taken a hit which was inevitable in a lockdown such as we are enduring.

Our plan is to continue publishing weekly as long as that is viable. Hopefully, there will be some speedway later this year but our biggest concern now is people being unable rather than unwilling to purchase SS.

We are extremely grateful to those who continue to do so.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU can switch but the only process that works is ... you take out a digital sub and then call Dave on 020-83351113 to cancel your print one. He will arrange a refund. 

Thanks for that info. In the light of the current situation, I'll stick with the printed version for the duration of my present subscription, and switch to the digital version next time round! Many thanks for the prompt response.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT answer that right now but, of course, it is a possibility. Retail sales (Newsagents, supermarkets, etc) have taken a hit which was inevitable in a lockdown such as we are enduring.

Our plan is to continue publishing weekly as long as that is viable. Hopefully, there will be some speedway later this year but our biggest concern now is people being unable rather than unwilling to purchase SS.

Glad I have a subscription.

Your guys are doing a brilliant job, so much to read, so many interesting features. They have really hit their stride and adapted what's on offer.

Literally hours and hours of reading.

I hope those who were shop purchasers will switch over to subscriptions.

If that happens, that would be a good result.

I can highly recommend the Speedway Star to anyone these days.

Five Stars for the Speedway Star

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Glad I have a subscription.

Your guys are doing a brilliant job, so much to read, so many interesting features. They have really hit their stride and adapted what's on offer.

Literally hours and hours of reading.

I hope those who were shop purchasers will switch over to subscriptions.

If that happens, that would be a good result.

I can highly recommend the Speedway Star to anyone these days.

Five Stars for the Speedway Star

HAVE posted this before ... we receive 56% per cent of the cover price (£3 ... £1.68) no matter how it is sold ... retail, printed subs or digital. 

I think you should get a advert on the SGB website listing the new features and details of how to subscribe. 
today’s and last weeks star were outstanding and possibly the best in the last 36 years of my readership. One comment I would make is that the on and off track feature is more comprehensive and more like the rider profile. Also gaffers greatest gaffer also seems too brief. 
I’d like to see a weekly in depth interview with former promoters of which there are many. Recently I chatted online to Bill Barker which was fascinating with a few questions and I’d love to know how they started in the sport and why they left plus all the stories in between. 

• Like 1

Really hope the Speedway Star gets many more subscriptions and is able to continue for 2020 season and beyond.  I'm still pleased I 'Sub the Star', and 99/100 the mag arrives crisp, dry and sharp (no biffed corners) each and every Thursday.  A great read and something I very much look forward to each week, especially in these difficult times.  Keep up the good work Phil Rising & Co :t:....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, sigh
  • Like 1

Went into morrisons cwmbran Wales 8/30 am today only 1 copy nice one

Enjoying the riders views on current tracks , how about their views on recently closed tracks eg Coventry, Rye House, Workington, Reading, Exeter?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAVE posted this before ... we receive 56% per cent of the cover price (£3 ... £1.68) no matter how it is sold ... retail, printed subs or digital. 

I was more thinking that a subs customer you get the sale rain or shine. I used to get mine from Asda which was usually OK but if the person who did the magazines was away on a Thursday. The star didn’t get put out 

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

If there was no action at all this season i think you would have to do something. Maybe a Monthly Star. People have habits. If there is none at all, That is what they will get used to. Not me btw. You could at least do that. I am certain you have enough interesting things to go Monthly. Hopefully it will not come to that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, craigACE said:

If there was no action at all this season i think you would have to do something. Maybe a Monthly Star. People have habits. If there is none at all, That is what they will get used to. Not me btw. You could at least do that. I am certain you have enough interesting things to go Monthly. Hopefully it will not come to that.

There was a 'Monthly Speedway Star' in the early 1950s.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

There was a 'Monthly Speedway Star' in the early 1950s.

I'm still waiting for mine !

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, craigACE said:

MONTHLY mag simply not viable 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MONTHLY mag simply not viable 

I have to say Phil the current format is a hit with me, I usually skip a fair bit of the results and track correspondents notes but I have found the current issues an excellent read, thank you.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

I have to say Phil the current format is a hit with me, I usually skip a fair bit of the results and track correspondents notes but I have found the current issues an excellent read, thank you.

COMMENTS like yours have certainly made us think. There was a furore amongst some when we dropped actual match reports (a financially based decision) and race times. Have said many times that we cannot please all of the readers all of the time but we are taking stock at the moment about content of SS going forward.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 4