British Speedway Forum

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A brilliant read Steve and this week's edition will bring back loads of happy moments maybe you will have a tear in your eye.!!!!Steve Weatherly still looks very well  still young looking and where have all the  years gone??.Going back to White City Steve 1976 a World Semi final Championship round there did you go ?? i have the programme a 17 year old Michael Lee just failed to reach the British Final on 8 points after scoring 5 points from his first two rides.After Kennett Lee must of had one of the best records at that circuit i can remember coming home disappointed that Michael did not win the Intercontinental final in 1983.This  after making a horrendous mistake and letting Carter through in one ride he still qualified though but Norden 83 was one of my biggest disappointments in speedway.

Yes I would have gone Sid...alas sold all my programmes to my eternal regret! I probably missed, at most, six meetings during the whole of the track's existance until it closed in 1983. Never missed a "Rebels" fixture however. Recall Michael Lee's debut for England against the Rest of the World (yes we were that good back then and no single nation was able to hold a candle to us at Test level) at Wood Lane in 1977 and he was a sensation I remember.

Star is excelling in the lockdown well done to all concerned. Best it's been in a long time.

I fear though that at some point the Best Programme of the Year Annual Feature will be Best Website of the season, and that the Positives and Negatives of the Season will be who's had a Good Lockdown and who hasn't.

Fingers crossed neither are needed, although might be fun Features at some point.

NICKI Pedersen talks about racing in SGP events at Cardiff, Paul Burbidge gets a variety of views on whether rider and bike weights should be co-ordinated and we reveal why a railway yard in Poznan has some connections with speedway ... all in SS this week as we battle to get through these difficult times.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SS has been taken weekly by my family since about 1967, just me left now that still takes it, I did on Monday decide to take out a subscription as I had missed last weeks edition,Tuesday morning it arrived and tomorrow I will receive this weeks, happy days, great publication keep up the good work

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

SS has been taken weekly by my family since about 1967, just me left now that still takes it, I did on Monday decide to take out a subscription as I had missed last weeks edition,Tuesday morning it arrived and tomorrow I will receive this weeks, happy days, great publication keep up the good work

THE vast majority of printed subs copies are arriving on time and we thank the Royal Mail and all its postmen and women for that. 

• Like 1

Just received my "Star" and thoroughly enjoyed the article on White City...great memories. Also good to see in print that Gordon Kennett was unable to take any R/R rides from August onwards something that is often conveniently overlooked by critics at the time and since. Also the fact that two other teams (Hull and Hackney) had similar dispensation that season but it was the "Rebels" strength in depth and team spirit that ultimately gave them a well deserved championship win. Great days...and I was at Monmore Green on that memorable afternoon when we lifted the cup!

I really enjoyed the White City feature. And the review of the tracks that have been in the last 2 weeks were great. The read/watch/play it section is good for ideas. I want that Coventry book.

19 minutes ago, craigACE said:

I really enjoyed the White City feature. And the review of the tracks that have been in the last 2 weeks were great. The read/watch/play it section is good for ideas. I want that Coventry book.

I've just ordered the Oxford equivalent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just received my "Star" and thoroughly enjoyed the article on White City...great memories. Also good to see in print that Gordon Kennett was unable to take any R/R rides from August onwards something that is often conveniently overlooked by critics at the time and since. Also the fact that two other teams (Hull and Hackney) had similar dispensation that season but it was the "Rebels" strength in depth and team spirit that ultimately gave them a well deserved championship win. Great days...and I was at Monmore Green on that memorable afternoon when we lifted the cup!

Would have been nice have seen what r/r averaged over the season but thoughly enjoying the star that I am receiving at the moment.

53 minutes ago, Siggytastic said:

Would have been nice have seen what r/r averaged over the season but thoughly enjoying the star that I am receiving at the moment.

Over to you Rob!

Edited by steve roberts

Our timeless interview with Ipswich legend Tony Davey, a key member of those first great Ipswich teams of the 70s, features in this week's (w/e May 1) Speedway Star.

You couldn't wish to meet a more humble former star rider than the ever-popular 'Shrimp', who happily lived in the shadow of Louis and Sanders at Foxhall.

Who knows what he could have achieved but for three serious injuries that cut short his promising career.

• Like 3

NICE informative interview with World Champion Bartosz Zmarzlik this week in SS conducted in his native Poland by our correspondent there. 

• Like 1

I know that I've already praised the Speedway Star to way beyond infinity, but I MUST praise again.

I have every Speedway Star since 1959, and quite a few before, and throughout those 61-years, I've never seen a better publication than what they are producing at this moment in time.
PHILIP RISING, ANDY SKEELS, PAUL BURBIDGE, MICK SMITH, JEFF DAVIES along with DAVE FAIRBROTHER, take a bow, because you deserve it, you are all a credit to your profession.

So once again, a MASSIVE thanks from the bottom of my heart.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I know that I've already praised the Speedway Star to way beyond infinity, but I MUST praise again.

I have every Speedway Star since 1959, and quite a few before, and throughout those 61-years, I've never seen a better publication than what they are producing at this moment in time.
PHILIP RISING, ANDY SKEELS, PAUL BURBIDGE, MICK SMITH, JEFF DAVIES along with DAVE FAIRBROTHER, take a bow, because you deserve it, you are all a credit to your profession.

So once again, a MASSIVE thanks from the bottom of my heart.    

THANKS, nice of you to say so. 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, TonyMac said:

Our timeless interview with Ipswich legend Tony Davey, a key member of those first great Ipswich teams of the 70s, features in this week's (w/e May 1) Speedway Star.

You couldn't wish to meet a more humble former star rider than the ever-popular 'Shrimp', who happily lived in the shadow of Louis and Sanders at Foxhall.

Who knows what he could have achieved but for three serious injuries that cut short his promising career.

Said before but I love these articles....you find out what makes the rider 'tick'. Superb. In heaven here when you did Terry Betts. 

• Like 2